Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331601 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i may not be the biggest fan of the older final fantasies.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: i may not be the biggest fan of the older final fantasies.....  (Read 2825 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »

I'm Gonna Kick your arse so hard your gonna kiss the moons!

Still... Harle was worst... especially if you do speak French

I tink you are ze one who shall get zere derriere kicked, non?

Thank god games are narrated now, so they can put the normal text.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:16:12 AM by Annubis » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »

I'd like to do a FF series play through like archendrus did w/ phantasy star.

At least 1-6.

Ooo I'm game =D I actually don't think I've played V at all (the re-numbering still confuses me) I played the PSP verision of 1 breifly and played IV when it used to be II but never beat it.  VI was responsible for solidifying my obessesion with the genre...when it was still called III.  So that's 3 out of 6 that I've never played.  

I think I'm going to do this once I finish Fallout 3, DDS, and DQ 8.

That should be probably around Feb or so.

I'll play the 1st two on the PSP since they can be got for cheap. F3 has to be on DS, right?

Now should I get IV via FF Chronicles on psx or the DS version? I'll probably do Chronicles so I can finally have Chrono Trigger as well.

Then I'll just get Anthology as well.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »

I hate Faris' pirate accent in the Playstation port.

I hated Kid's aussie or hick (or something) accent throughout all of CC.  Made her sound like her IQ was shot since understanding her took that much more effort to read.
Posts like this make me wish posts here had "like" buttons like on Facebook.
I friggin' hated Kid.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »

At least 1-6.

Ooo I'm game =D I actually don't think I've played V at all (the re-numbering still confuses me) I played the PSP verision of 1 breifly and played IV when it used to be II but never beat it.  VI was responsible for solidifying my obessesion with the genre...when it was still called III.  So that's 3 out of 6 that I've never played.  

I'll play the 1st two on the PSP since they can be got for cheap. F3 has to be on DS, right?

Now should I get IV via FF Chronicles on psx or the DS version? I'll probably do Chronicles so I can finally have Chrono Trigger as well.

Word, sounds like a plan =D I gotta finish up Persona 1 and MS Saga so Feb works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »

At least 1-6.

Word, sounds like a plan =D I gotta finish up Persona 1 and MS Saga so Feb works.

Count me in, too.=)

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »

I noticed that amazon has the chronicles, anthology, and origins psx collections for a total of 40 bux or so.

I'll probably get that eventually.

If you guys all want to start this up in feb or maybe even jan we can do this.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »

FF5 was funny? I guess if you're 11. I thought it was retarded. Especially the stuff with Faris. I did like the dungeons, and skill system though. But the story and dialog were probably the worst in the series. I love humor, but only if it's reasonably intelligent.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »

FF5 was funny? I guess if you're 11. I thought it was retarded. Especially the stuff with Faris. I did like the dungeons, and skill system though. But the story and dialog were probably the worst in the series. I love humor, but only if it's reasonably intelligent.

"I guess you're 11." Really? Now I remember why I'd been ignoring these boards lately. Thanks.

OP -- your initial post was vague. But given you *are* Alisha, I'm assuming you appreciate FF being open to gender ambiguity so early in its lifetime and that's what you really liked about the humor.

When I first played this game (I was 14, not 11), I thought it was funny too. I can never say if I'd find it funny at my present age because there'd be no surprise. I see it coming already. Even Phoenix Wright would struggle to have my laugh twice in a second playthrough. Though I'm sure it would happen eventually.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »

FF5 was funny? I guess if you're 11. I thought it was retarded.

It's (mostly) not laugh out loud funny, but it IS charming. And as dumb as the story is, I think I may prefer it to FFIV now because of that charm, FFIV feels like it takes itself too seriously for the story it tells.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »

Eusis, you're probably right. FFIV did take itself too seriously. But my impression was, so did FFV. FFV took it's comedic value very seriously, even though I thought it was terrilbly done. That said, I did play a fan sub, so I probably have a scued view.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

Yeah, DEFINITELY get the GBA version then, it's the definitive English version.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »

Eusis, you're probably right. FFIV did take itself too seriously. But my impression was, so did FFV. FFV took it's comedic value very seriously, even though I thought it was terrilbly done. That said, I did play a fan sub, so I probably have a scued view.

I didn't funny, true.  But I like what Eus said about it being charming in a way.  If the game focused on being funny, then yeah, it misses the mark (especially in comparisons to game's like Disgaea that go out of the way to do it).

I never looked at it for that though, the battle system made me go on.  I thought IX was funnier if I had to pick.  Or the emo-tit Squall with being bitchier than some of my girlfriends. :P  (just messing)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »

Hey now, if half of Cloud or Zydane's "dialog" were their internal thoughts, they'd probably look pretty emo too! Seriously, Squall hardly ever said anything emo, it's just that much of the game focused on his internal monologue. Dice, I bet you're internal monologue makes Death Cab for Cutie look like a 3-year-old's Christmas album!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »

Hey now, if half of Cloud or Zydane's "dialog" were their internal thoughts, they'd probably look pretty emo too!

Cloud? Maybe, but people accuse him of it anyway. Zidane? Outside of some points in the story, not likely! But I also think people blow Squall out of proportion there when he's mostly a loner who, as I recall, is easily annoyed by other people, and I think people are outright idiots for saying Cloud's an emo. Advent Children aside, but screw that interpretation.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

"I guess you're 11." Really? Now I remember why I'd been ignoring these boards lately. Thanks.

OP -- your initial post was vague. But given you *are* Alisha, I'm assuming you appreciate FF being open to gender ambiguity so early in its lifetime and that's what you really liked about the humor.

Bravo, good sir. You managed to be both elitist and sexist in the same post.

As for that thing that the thread was kinda about, I'd say the humor lies in Butz's and Lenna's (ironically) general stupidity about matters (also in breaking the game wide open with a bunch of cheap rods less than a third into the game).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: