Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 01:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331476 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Why are uber-religious people driven to over-sentimentality?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Why are uber-religious people driven to over-sentimentality?  (Read 6941 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

Having done a number of TV commercials for churches and religious organizations, I've noticed that religiious people and organizations seem to swoon at the tip of a hat to the most sophomoric sentimentalities. It's gotten to the point where I can tell a radio station is tuned to Christian rock simply by how overly-sentimental it sounds, even before I hear any religious lyrics. A lot of the sentimentality I hear feels very forced and fake to me, but people eat it up. I'm doing a commercial for a local church. And we just got groups of people to say, "I Belong" and "We Belong". And everyone involved is so excited about this. Honestly, we did do some fun things like a guy banging really hard on the drums while mouthing it, so I'll give them points for being open to playing around with it. But still, for the most part, I'm getting kind of sick of all this fake sentimentality in religion these days. It feels very disengenous.

A few weeks ago, I did a commercial for a pro-life pregnancy center. And the final video shot (which the owner bought for me), was a sillohetted person on the beach at sunset with their arms stretched-out. It was very mellodramatic looking, like the kind picture you see on a tick tract. It kind of went against my personal sensibilities because it seemed so obviously sacrine.

But there's nothing particularly religious or Christian about these images, sayings, and sounds. You do see it in other places like in New Age music and art. But modernday fundimentalist Christians seem to have it in over-abundance. There's nothing Puritanical about it either. Where does it even come from?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:12:21 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »

I don't think this kind of sentimentality is limited to the devout. Pretty much all sentimentality comes off as superficial. Well it does for me, anyway.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »

I don't think the the uber religious have ever been particularly progressive :P

People like their religions because of their saccharine and "wholesome" image, so its really just pandering to the userbase so-to-speak.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:36:45 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »

People like their religions because of their saccharine and "wholesome" image, so its really just pandering to the userbase so-to-speak.

Well, not all people, though probably quite a lot.

There's an Islamic channel in the U.K. called "Peace TV" and they use some really cheesy, sentimental theme songs for their commercials. I think it's kind of silly- just watching those segments makes me squirm. It's an interesting enough channel (the shows themselves are diverse, featuring inter-religious debates) but they've clearly allowed their style to be dictated by a demographic of certain taste.

I guess advertisers and institutes ultimately want to 'play it safe', so they continuously use images/music that have a general and pleasant sentiment. It's the overuse that makes it come across as vacuous, maybe?

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:43:10 PM »

I think their is also a part of it where the kind of people who watch a lot of those sorts of religious channels are not the kind of people who like their views to be challenged, or they are easily upset about things that go against the fundamentals of their religion. I know that isn't true of all people, I'm just referencing the lowest common denominator here.

If everyone was as open to ideals from other religions and cultures, whether they think they are right or wrong doesnt matter, my life would be a lot easier.

Just once I want to flip on "God TV" and see an advert where a woman is dancing to a hip hop song with the words "Jesus Saves" scrawled across her ass in glitter.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »

If you feel like a laugh, you should see the Doomsday ads on Peace TV. The melodrama is laughable- I do take Doomsday as a serious issue but I somehow feel that it won't occur through the blood-tinted lens of over-exaggerated Bollywood drama.

The channel is actually there to challenge stereotypical views of Islam within the Islamic community in London (directed towards mulsim Indians and Pakistanis). It's trying to distinguish that fine line between culture and religion in Asian communities, which is difficult because not all the speakers are unbiased on the matter. But by challenging those communities' views, Peace TV isn't as popular with Muslims as some Christian channels may be with Christians.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »

I've always been more curious about the mindsets of hardcore religious peoples.

I *hate* referring to a cult in a religious context, but its only to illustrate a point.  I'm thinking the Jonestown massacre, or the mindset of fan girl who pass out at the Beatles concerts, the celebrity stalkers, and yeah, religious fanatics where nothing else can be right.

I'm more curious about the thinking of these people than their ideas.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »

I'm more curious about the thinking of these people than their ideas.

When it gets to the "blind-faith" point, I'm pretty sure the thinking has stopped.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »

The channel is actually there to challenge stereotypical views of Islam within the Islamic community in London (directed towards mulsim Indians and Pakistanis). It's trying to distinguish that fine line between culture and religion in Asian communities, which is difficult because not all the speakers are unbiased on the matter. But by challenging those communities' views, Peace TV isn't as popular with Muslims as some Christian channels may be with Christians.

A shame its not more popular among the Muslim community, as it sounds like a noble cause. I could get on board with that, certainly not the religion itself, but the attitude is commendable.

@Dice: I would love to know what goes on in some of those peoples heads as well. Some of these Justin Bieber fans recently are scaring the crap out of me. Honestly, if Justin Bieber asked for mass suicides, the tween girl population will be dramatically reduced.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »

PM -- Though it isn't SOLELY confined to this realm, the religious communities of the world tend to get very sentimental in their MEDIA.

Music, movies, TV, TV ads, and to some extent, books.

Crappy Christian radio and even crappier Christian TV is not representative of the best the religion has to offer. ESPECIALLY American Christian radio/TV.

I don't think the the uber religious have ever been particularly progressive :P

Second statement is nearly true as a blanket statement, and is a good guess at how this marketing works. There are a lot of great books about "target marketing" of Christian audiences. Read some work by David Dark.

As for the first sentence, I acknowledge I'm an exception, but...

• I think Jesus is everything the Nicene Creed says he is
  • I think marijuana should be legalized and regulated
  • Ditto with prostitution
  • I'm more than a little suspicious of Biblical condemnation of homosexuality, and even moreso of modern English translation and interpretation of those few passages

Word.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »

@Ramza: I really wasn't trying to tar everyone with the same brush with that statement, It's just that when making generalizations its really hard to fit in the truly exceptional people who aren't part of that rule. I was specifically talking about the sort of religious people who does what they are told without question, without any input or study done by themselves and who let other people speak for them. The real, true bible thumpers. Not just someone who believes in God and the Bibles teachings.

I'm always nervous when these topics come up, because I'm an atheist and I might offend a whole bunch of people :P
I haven't yet, which is good. I am totally not opposed to religion, and i'm paranoid that I'm always going to be lumped in with the kind of people who are simply because I am atheist. Everyone here is a very good sport about it though.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:59:59 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »

I guess from an outside perspective, modern "Christianity" has evolved so far past "following Christ's teachings", that it all just looks very strange to me. How anyone interpretate Christ's teachings as "thow shall not dance" or even "homosexual acts send you to hell" is just beyond me. The religion has been filtered through so many different disperate groups, it's impossible for me to see how anyone can create any "face value" from it at all. I think it's possible to live by all of Christ's teachings today and be denounced by just about every Christian religion out there. Their God is one of their own making, and wanting, with values that they constructed through generations of conditioning. Jesus seems completely lost in the mix.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »

I'm always nervous when these topics come up, because I'm an atheist and I might offend a whole bunch of people :P
There is no real reason to get nervous so much as hopeful that it doesn't turn into long drawn out religious debate complete with ad hominems. But to answer the question, "Why are religious driven to sentimentality," I think it's a pretty simple. Most people believe things because their is evidence to support it. Religious people however function in the opposite fashion, beliefs are acquired with absolutely no rational reason, then when they are threaten they are defended. Which explains why arguments from ignorance is so common in pretty much every defense. Even the sophisticated philosophical ones. So it really doesn't surprise me that so many are quick to become ill tempered.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »

And that brings me to a paradox that's been gnawing at me for quite some time. I'd like to believe that religion only works for people if they truly let go of the logical, and embrace their faith, unencombered by whether it's "logical" or not. If you try to turn religion into science, then you've both defeated the whole purpose of faith and created bad science. Stop trying to prove the existance of God, stop trying to prove that man didn't evolve from apes. Believe in whatever God means to you, and believe that man is somehow special to him and to you. That is faith, and it gets to the heart of what should be important about religion. This whole practice of trying to prove ones faith through the scientific method (or a bastardized version of it), simply exposes the weakness of one's faith.

I see a lot of people who have very little faith, and are trying to justify it, vicariously, through the acceptance (read: evangalism) of others. Sure, they may claim that prosthilitization is for the betterment of humanity, but their inability to be confronted by other viewpoints leads me to believe otherwise. I think every religious person out there should really dig down deep, and really think about whether their faith is really that strong. If one needs to prove their faith to others, then doesn't that completely destroy the purpose of "faith" to begin with?

I'm an atheist, but I'm not afraid of faith. Faith, in it's purist form, is the child-like wonder that we all have that explores the uncertainty of things, and comes up with answers. Deep down, I don't believe in God, that is my faith. I've stopped trying to prove that God doesn't exist, because I don't think that's important to anyone but me. If someone brought diffinitive proof of God to me, I would probably examine it, and go on believing as I do, because it works for me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:59:58 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 08:10:05 PM »

My post and what Star says are kinda the point.  You find extremists of all types - they're hardly the ones representative of the group, just the ones most "TV worthy" that make us talk and think otherwise.  The common flu kills more people than most natural disasters, but the hurricanes, tornadoes, floods look fucken great on page 1.

I think the "over-sentimentality" is an odd point.  Especially since you're talking about TV, a medium that IS trying to sell something over half of the time.  Most religious people usually are serious.  The ad wasn't about who was did the editing.  Some people see the world in things, and religion is a touchy subject to fuck people on (I would NEVER tell ANYONE of ANY religion their faith sucks or isn't genuine or anything to the sort).  I've always wanted to think people do what they think is right at the very least.

But it's an interesting point to observe.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:13:49 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: