Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:43:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341291 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Why are uber-religious people driven to over-sentimentality?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Why are uber-religious people driven to over-sentimentality?  (Read 7519 times)
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2010, 01:14:17 AM »

"Earth has only existed 6000 years"

I don't know how old the Earth is. :/ I'm not even sure the Bible is that clear on it.

Well, God is supposed to be about forgiveness, not total douchebaggery =/
and if he IS that horrible a being, I'll be glad I never gave him any worship.

Well, you're missing part of it.  Yeah He forgives.   But He's also just.  There's no reason to even call Him forgiving if there weren't laws to begin with.  You and I can't keep God's law.  If someone (even a Christian) claims he's ultimately stopped sinning he's only lying to you and, ironically, furthering his own sin.  To be forgiven, Jesus has to step in and say "The punishment that you deserve and I don't will be laid on Me."  Outside of that, the Bible claims, there is no way.  How much of this sounds familiar to your Christian schooling?

I'm not trying to scare you into anything.  Just saying what the Christian God is all about.

boingboing.net Zombie Haiku Contest winning entry

by "vecum"

You lopped off my arms!
Thanks, now I can squeeze through your
Windows at night. Yum!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:48:33 AM by Alexander » Logged

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2010, 02:29:05 AM »

I don't know how old the Earth is. :/ I'm not even sure the Bible is that clear on it.

You realize we have very solid evid-

ah fuck it.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 02:31:28 AM »

So, if someone doesn't believe in "God" in the Abrahamic sense, but still believes in something beyond materialism, does that make them an atheist or an agnostic?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:38 AM »

Closer to agnosticism I imagine, if you're an atheist you don't believe in anything supernatural.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 02:53:02 AM »

You realize we have very solid evid-

ah fuck it.

I don't discount most of the evidence.  It very well could be 4.5 billion years old.  Though I won't be surprised if new evidence points to it being .5 billion years older.  Or if it's much younger and created with the appearance of the age.  Thus, I don't know.  Doesn't bother me too much either.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
acornthief.tumblr.com
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:12 AM »

Did you guys know that the bigass particle accelerator they build on the Franco-Swiss border is showing evidence that the universe was in a liquid state just beofre the big-bang, like some plasma soup' Cool right?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:37 AM »

my reasons for not believing in god have evolved over time. when i was a young girl(5-10ish) i was a dinosaur nut and read every book about them i could get my hands on. so when i heard the story of genesis even at that young age i was saying hey wait a minute this is not right. in my teenage years i started to develop a contrarian(sp?) streak as i was starting to take pride in the things that make me different . and in my mid 20's to the present day the role of women in religeon is an absolute deal breaker. i remember one time i was at a cousins wedding and the preist said something to the effect that god created women FOR men and that angered me quite a bit. so to me the bible is mere mythology no more relevant than greek mythology.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 07:04:41 AM »

Thanks for sharing that Sensei, hopefully we can recover from this umm... tangent.  If not, it's been a great thread.  I'm pleased. :)

Then I think you missed my point with that post. This whole threat has been about the premise that religion is based on sentimentality and emotion. Atheism can be too.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »

my reasons for not believing in god have evolved over time. when i was a young girl(5-10ish) i was a dinosaur nut and read every book about them i could get my hands on. so when i heard the story of genesis even at that young age i was saying hey wait a minute this is not right. i

LOL, the exact same thing happened with me. Man, dinosaurs rock :-)
I knew their names, size, weight, I was a walking encyclopedia of those damn lizards. Then when I heard all those things in the bible I was like "wait what?".

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »

While we're on the subject of dinosaurs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmglGWMsdk&playnext=1&list=PLFA1B7BD132F45A9E&index=4

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »

I tend to view most religious origin stories as allegories for either material things we have always, in some odd way, known about, or for philosophical truths. Adam and Eve is actually supported in a scientific fashion (not the whole story, but the concept of two people being directly responsible for all modern human beings), and even the larger Genesis cosmology has a lot of weird consistencies with emerging scientific theory about the origins of the universe.

It may just be coincidence, but I'm not convinced that it is, entirely. Word of God moving on the waters, let there be light and all that, and we find out that the universe was first probably a liquid and then the big bang happened? It seems like an odd bunch of parallels.

It's always felt a bit like sentiment often plays an opposing role to reason, whether you're an atheist or a fundamentalist, or anything in between. Being someone who likes to analyse the world around him, I've found it healthy to keep an open mind towards both "sides" of the spectrum and pick from either what makes sense. Compare, contrast, and don't discount things just because it's popular opinion to.

I don't, for instance, believe in a fully material reality. Buddhism has made far, far too much sense to me on that level. My experiences with meditation and philosophy have made it clear to me that there's something beyond the material. At the same time, I can't ignore scientific truths and pretend they aren't important. They act as part of the great reflection.

There is a part of me that longs to be sentimental towards certain images, of course. When I'm feeling frustrated with my own inability to meditate, or when I'm struggling to understand a spiritual concept, I've often thought that perhaps I should just let it be and forget the whole idea. But then when I make a breakthrough, there's also an ego that arises thinking science is silly, and that my spiritual beliefs are fine without scientific introspection. Neither is a particularly good state of mind.

In the end, I side with being an investigator, and someone who wants to bring the two seemingly opposing worlds of science and spirituality together, because I do see links and I feel they can reinforce one another. Sentiment be damned, I just can't take sides on this.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »

"Dinosaur fossils? God put those there to test our faith."

LMAO

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »

Gotta love Bill Hicks.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »

Thanks for sharing that Sensei, hopefully we can recover from this umm... tangent.  If not, it's been a great thread.  I'm pleased. :)

Then I think you missed my point with that post. This whole thread has been about the premise that religion is based on sentimentality and emotion. Atheism can be too.

Yeah I may have.  In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have replied if I didn't have anything interesting to add.  But I am glad we're back on track.

I agree people do base theological convictions (whether for God or against) on emotion.  I don't think it should (at least as the "be all end all" factor) because I think it trivializes it.  I think the human heart (not the organ) is often a very flimsy and dangerous thing to trust.  If you wake up to the harsh screams of your crying infant who needs to be held/changed/reassured/whoknowswhat the best course of action might be to not trust your feelings (which probably aren't very positive at the moment) and help the kid out.  In fact, you might say your attachment is more than a feeling.  It's much deeper than that. *cue Boston*

I think there's great evidence if you simply look at the various holy texts and logically consider "Is this the work of a mere man? Or something else?"  Some of you, Thoren, have made it abundantly clear where you stand on the question.  Whether or not they've put any real study into the Bible I don't know, but I'd strongly encourage them to do so if they haven't.  If anything, it's a great, great story.

For me when I see how pitifully low man's station is, how reverential its treatment of something that is not man (God), and how God reaches down into those who hate Him and dies to bring them into an intimate relationship with Himself, it shocks me.  I think it's too weird not to be true.

and in my mid 20's to the present day the role of women in religeon is an absolute deal breaker. i remember one time i was at a cousins wedding and the preist said something to the effect that god created women FOR men and that angered me quite a bit. so to me the bible is mere mythology no more relevant than greek mythology.

When the Bible talks about women being created as "helpers", it uses the same word to describe the Holy Spirit.  Not that women are gods (though sometimes I wonder, hah), but that their mission is one of divine significance.  I'll give you men have certainly taken an unfair advantage over that relationship but I can't see, purely from Scripture, that they have a right to do so.

Also, Eve was created out of Adam's side as she is his equal.  Not out of his front as to be his superior and definitely not out of his back as to be his inferior.

The Catholic theologian Peter Kreeft has a wonderful argument about how Jesus came to tell the world that it needs to be more feminine (in that it needs to passively receive grace) instead of more masculine (in that it would forcibly earn God's favor through good works).  If anything, his idea goes, women have simply "gotten it more right."

The Kraken

Lord Alfred Tennyson

Below the thunders of the upper deep,
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides: above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie
Battering upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by men and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:04:25 AM by Alexander » Logged

acornthief.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »

A few people have mentioned "spirituality" and its importance, whether or not you are religious. I, however, don't really know what is being implied by said "spirituality". Is it the belief of the soul? Or is it more about the search of some truth within yourself? Or maybe something else? The word has an air of mysticism around it that really turns me off the idea.

The closest I can come to understanding its meaning is maybe through the appreciation art, but even I know that is just a psychological reaction to external stimuli.

Or maybe it is similar to my belief in solidarity and acceptance of our differences, moving towards a better more idealistic future. Even that has an obvious logic to it though.

If anyone can adequately explain "spirituality" to me, I would be very appreciative. Even the dictionary doesn't help:

1.the quality or fact of being spiritual.
2.incorporeal or immaterial nature.
3.predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.
4.Often, spiritualities. property or revenue of the church or of an ecclesiastic in his or her official capacity.

The third one seems most apt to what people have been talking about, but even then it just sounds like people seeking answers to the big questions like "Why are we here, what is my purpose?". Which implies some sort of narrative to our life, which implies there is an author which would be a god-like figure, which I also can't appreciate.

I just don't see how it is compatible with atheism, which someone claimed is possible and I don't feel like looking through these lengthy comments again to find out who. It just sounds like some sort of private religion to me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: