Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 04:07:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338307 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Why are uber-religious people driven to over-sentimentality?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Why are uber-religious people driven to over-sentimentality?  (Read 7345 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »

Star, I believe it was Neal who talked about spirituality. I kinda sorta, in a odd way, agree with him. I don't believe in spirits, or souls, or any of that nonsense. But I absolutely cannot deny that when I'm working in my garden, or taking a stroll through a beautiful prairie, that I feel...SOMEthing. I understand that it's just a natural connection that people have with nature, but why do so few seem to care, or even notice, said connection? It sounds snooty, but I feel like I see things that other people don't. For me, my love of the natural world is almost a spiritual thing.
You said it sounds like your own private religion, and I would say you are pretty spot on with that.
I basically "worship" nature in a way. Sounds creepy, I know, but that's the gist of it. I can see a similar thing happening with other people and the things they love. Like music, or art, as you mentioned.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »

Fortunate are those who have learned to see, in the wild things of nature, something to be loved, something to be wondered at, something to be reverenced, for they will have found the key to a never-failing source of recreation and refreshment."
-Hugh B. Cott

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:31:38 AM by Redeemed » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »

Star, I believe it was Neal who talked about spirituality. I kinda sorta, in a odd way, agree with him. I don't believe in spirits, or souls, or any of that nonsense. But I absolutely cannot deny that when I'm working in my garden, or taking a stroll through a beautiful prairie, that I feel...SOMEthing. I understand that it's just a natural connection that people have with nature, but why do so few seem to care, or even notice, said connection? It sounds snooty, but I feel like I see things that other people don't. For me, my love of the natural world is almost a spiritual thing.
You said it sounds like your own private religion, and I would say you are pretty spot on with that.
I basically "worship" nature in a way. Sounds creepy, I know, but that's the gist of it. I can see a similar thing happening with other people and the things they love. Like music, or art, as you mentioned.

I get what you mean GrimReality (Lovin' the hat). The feeling of being connected to nature is an awesome feeling. For some more than others. As you said people feel that same feeling with a variety of different things, because everyone loves different things to different degrees. I just wouldn't go so far as to say it was a spiritual experience though. I just like things, I'm not trying to give them some sort of sentient force. They just are, y'know?

That's just me though, showing my complete at utter close-mindedness :P. Unfortunately I don't seem to feel things as strongly as most people.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »

Starmongoose, I think that the word spiritual has a lot of negative connotations and can understand wanting to distance yourself from it, for the reasons you provided. Honestly, I think a better word is metaphysical. That being said, every single person, regardless of their religious beliefs, is spiritual in some sense.

Everybody has an experience at some point in their life where there's this tangible, but abstract atmosphere that seems permeate a moment for however long. It's not making things sentient, but everything feels...I don't know...right. Not in a sense that there is a grand designer/author, but as you said, everything just is, and it is good.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »

I swear to God, first religious was the dirty word, now spiritual is. Soon, metaphysical will be a god damned racial slur.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »

If some good evidence for life after death were announced, I'd be eager to examine it; but it would have to be real scientific data, not mere anecdote.... Better the hard truth, I say, than the comforting fantasy.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2010, 03:47:34 AM »

I swear to God, first religious was the dirty word, now spiritual is. Soon, metaphysical will be a god damned racial slur.

I was just trying to understand. Just looking for some hard definition, not poopoo anyones beliefs. Every meaning I had given never fit with me, nor  applicable to my life and philosophy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:55:18 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »

That's fine and all. I just don't like the apologetic nature with which people sometimes use "religious" or "spiritual", as though these were undesirable descriptors. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being either, no more than being an atheist. It's all in how you present yourself is the thing. I'm not actually accusing you of anything mind, just voicing my distaste at what Vanguard noted.

For me, spiritual means someone who is seeking the answers to life, to meaning, and to consciousness. Belief in spirits, nature, etc included or excluded as the seeker decides their course.

I for one have chosen to be very holistic. If it seems credible and sensible, I'll probably take it as genuine unless proven otherwise.

ie: I have experimented with "crystals" for years. There have been no conclusive results as to a positive effect. Therefore, I can't believe that they have any real potency. Now, rare gems on the other hand? I've had some weird experiences there, so I can't discount them.

Similarly, I don't for a moment believe in homeopathy. It's an absolute crock. It makes no sense scientifically, and having tried it myself, had no effect practically either. TCM on the other hand? That's a whole other story. I've found some genuine remedies there (as well as a few crock ones).

To me, that holistic process of trying everything, choosing what works, and broadening one's horizons is a form of spirituality I find incredibly genuine. Moreso than just accepting stories, anecdotes, or even reports and saying "well it has to be true, source A said so".
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »

Everybody has an experience at some point in their life where there's this tangible, but abstract atmosphere that seems permeate a moment for however long. It's not making things sentient, but everything feels...I don't know...right. Not in a sense that there is a grand designer/author, but as you said, everything just is, and it is good.

I feel like that every month when I deposit my paycheck.

It's nice.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »

ie: I have experimented with "crystals" for years. There have been no conclusive results as to a positive effect. Therefore, I can't believe that they have any real potency. Now, rare gems on the other hand? I've had some weird experiences there, so I can't discount them.

You Canadians and your ruby-encrusted sex toys!

In all seriousness, though, I'm all for finding what works, and then finding why it works. If using crystals or gems or acupuncture produce results, it would be foolish to discount their efficacy. It would also be foolish to assume that, because they've arisen as tools of a spiritual method, that there can't be any scientific rationale behind them. Not that you're likely saying that, Mark, just putting that out there.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: