Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 07:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338609 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?  (Read 14673 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:08:40 PM by Yoda » Logged
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »

I kinda liked/loved VII story...
What bothered me about Final Fantasy VII is that is sorta fakes you out. The first part of game you are in this some what dilapidated almost cyberpunk type of environment then you are just thrust into an insipid fantasy world. It's very depressing for me.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:07:08 PM »

@Yoda. Done, but he can still totally see it in your post.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »

We make a good team.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »

IV, VI and IX are about tied for me.

XII had a ton of potential but it all got flushed down the toilet from the 2/3rds mark onward.

The rest have their moments but aren't always spectacular.

And actually, yeah. VII. I think I like it. In a drooly-fanboy-no-criticism-can-hurt-my-nostalgic-view-of-the-game kind of way. Rationally I know it's not nearly the best. But I can still appreciate it.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 10:19:17 PM »

FINAL FANTASY VII IS THE ONE TO HAVE. WHILE THE OTHER FANTASY'S LIKE VI AND VIII HAVE THEIR PERKS THEY SIMPLY LACK IN COOLNESS OF HERO CHARACTERS AND OF COURSE THE VERY COOL AND EMBATTLED BAD GUYS WITH THE COOLEST AND BADDEST OF ALL TIME BEING OF COURSE SEPHROTH. YOU CAN PLAY THIS GAME OVER AND OVER AGAIN OFF AND ON AND STILL NERVER REALLY GET TIRED OF IT. IF PLAYSTATION 3 GETS TO DO A REMAKE FOR THE SYSTEM AND THEN A COUPLE OF SEQUELS THE ALREADY SUPER HUGE FANBASE FOR THIS GAME WILL SHELL OUT THE COMBINED MILLIONS TO MAKE SONY A FORTUNE. OF COURSE THE TITLE OR TITLES NEED TO BE SONY EXCLUSIVES. THIS GAME IS ONE OF THE BEST EVER MADE PERIOD AND IS DEFINITELY NOT OVERRATED.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:20:20 PM »

:P

Haha.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »

I can't imagine why anyone hated Tidus. He was a bitch the first few hours buthad the greatest character evolution of any Final Fantasy lead. At the end he had a choice to live while continuing an endless cycle of death or not exist and finally allow the world some peace, and he unflinchingly destroys Sin and accepts his own death like a man. He evolves from a spoiled little bitch with daddy issues into a man with steel resolve and iron will who resolves his immature and childish feelings.

As for story though, Tactics, no question. It was epic beyon epic.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »

Well "best" is subjective but if I had to give my opinion I'd say Final Fantasy X probably had the most interesting story.
Only to be hurt by a pansy lead.  I hate Tidus. 
Well that's your opinion. I happen to like Tidus.

I'm not bad-mouthing his character, just his giggly-over-happy attitude got on my nerves.  He was just overall kinda corny.  Kudos to his development, I just didn't care for the character.  I'm a bit out of touch with the game, but I didn't feel his daddy-issues big enough for me or they were somewhat contradictory to say the least (I think they could have expanded on this part more).  His design and voice especially annoyed me, the yellow and black (the two strongest colours to appear side-by-side) makes him look like a highlighted contemporary plummer with the overalls.  His do-good attitude no different than many other JRPG heroes.

I already said I loved the story though, and yeah, he's faced with some tough calls.  Most you don't see till the last hour.

If you want daddy issues, go talk to BoFV's Bosch ripped apart in a psych ward.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »

Well "best" is subjective but if I had to give my opinion I'd say Final Fantasy X probably had the most interesting story.

Only to be hurt by a pansy lead.  I hate Tidus.  I do agree it hit a good mark on the story.  

Hmm....For the life of me, I can never remember 8's story.

How can you forget the overblown ridiculousness of it?

I agree with Ramza about IV, VI and IX. I enjoyed X, and I agree with Leyviur about Tidus though the "we're really ghosts and not alive" thing seemed a bit forced.

I had hoped for a real political intrigue style story along the lines of Suikoden for FFXII and instead it was a mish mash of characters and motivations I could barely keep track of amd that had no personality.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:19:45 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »

As for story though, Tactics, no question. It was epic beyon epic.

THIS.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »

Only to be hurt by a pansy lead.  I hate Tidus.  I do agree it hit a good mark on the story. 

-going to a space station
-monsters on the moon (did they ever expand on that?)
-thrown into jail after ice speared you
-Laguna day dreams
-Squall and Rinoa were almost bro and sis
-Fighting ...um, hockeyplayers?
-The "we forgot playing "house" in our past - when we all lived together" like the GFs were some sort of date rape drug
-Rinoa catatonic half the game (typical main female stereotype, same with Collette a la ToS, where the F?!)
-Fighting another garden
-Fighting a fat man underneath your garden
-Your school flies and your headmaster is Robin Williams
-Witches...fucken...do something
-Theres a city bigger than more than 10x of all the towns you visited...thats kept a secret.

They chain all those together somehow.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »

Only to be hurt by a pansy lead.  I hate Tidus.  I do agree it hit a good mark on the story. 

-going to a space station
-monsters on the moon (did they ever expand on that?)
-thrown into jail after ice speared you
-Laguna day dreams
-Squall and Rinoa were almost bro and sis
-Fighting ...um, hockeyplayers?
-The "we forgot playing "house" in our past - when we all lived together" like the GFs were some sort of date rape drug

I got to that point and gave up in disgust.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »

Don't forget Adel, the 20 foot red haired she-male from the moon.

EDIT: She also surfs on the back on monsters. True story.

EDIT2: She also has arms like stretch armstrong. Which she uses to nab people and make them into necklaces. True story.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:33:40 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 11:27:04 PM »

I'm not bad-mouthing his character, just his giggly-over-happy attitude got on my nerves.  He was just overall kinda corny.  Kudos to his development, I just didn't care for the character.  I'm a bit out of touch with the game, but I didn't feel his daddy-issues big enough for me or they were somewhat contradictory to say the least (I think they could have expanded on this part more).  His design and voice especially annoyed me, the yellow and black (the two strongest colours to appear side-by-side) makes him look like a highlighted contemporary plummer with the overalls.  His do-good attitude no different than many other JRPG heroes.
His daddy issues were a pretty big part of the game. You probably didn't pay enough attention or didn't listen to the characters enough, but the contrast between what Tidus thought and what actually happened to Jecht was pretty huge. Tidus thought Jecht just walked out on his family, but in truth it wasn't Jecht's choice and he was actually thinking of his family the entire time through Spira. That the truth was so far away from what Tidus believed, and to have found out that his dad was actually a caring and gentle man instead of the brash and douchebag parent Tidus thought he was pretty much fuels a good portion of Tidus' character development.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: