Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:37:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327324 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?  (Read 14356 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »

Hmmmm... best FF...
13 tried to much to be something different, awesome gfx though
12 was a MMORPG
10x2 was a god awful grind
10 was so-so and corny (daddy why can't you love meeeeeeeeee)
9 I never had the guts to try (3 friends tell me it starts being fun after the 72 hours mark...)
8 had too many problems (enemy scaling faster than my level? wow, I just gimped myself at 99!)
7 was a good ride, OK story, good characters, interesting system (materia)
6 had a very powerful cast (if you ignore the lame ones like Umaro, Mog, painting girl, etc.) and OK story
5 was a god awful grind, but Galuf is the shining star of the whole game EDIT: and Gilgamesh ;_;
4 was an OK ride, but I hate all the forced character switching

So overall, I guess I'd go with 6. The depth of the characters just makes the whole game great (Seltzer's ship, Locke's past love, Sabin & Edgar throne thing, Cyan's kingdom's fall and who could forget F-ING BAMF SHADOW!)
I still feel they should have given a better reason for Kefka to hate the world and want to destroy it though =/

---
I didn't really like Tidus... but then I met Van (Vahn? Vanh?) and now Tidus seems like a great fella.
PUT A GODDAMN SHIRT ON WILL YA!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:54:45 PM by Annubis » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:01 PM »

As for story though, Tactics, no question. It was epic beyon epic.

Ugh.. Tactics' story was waaay too much. so many fucking factions and parties interested.

Plot twist upon plot twist, backstabbing, etc.

I enjoyed it immensely but for the gameplay alone. I get what they were going for but not my cup of tea at all.

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »

VI for me. What really cinches it is the second half; some might argue that there's next to no plot in the second half, but that's where a good deal of the character development takes place, although the game in general is rather emotional.

IX is next in line. Just a nice adventure with some nice characters, and can certainly be appreciated.

Everything else just isn't all that great, (though V's gameplay was kind of addicting,) with VII being the one I like the least/dislike the most, and since I feel like doing so, I'll just leave it at that.

EDIT:

I still feel they should have given a better reason for Kefka to hate the world and want to destroy it though

Read the following review; http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/reviews/review-40133

I'm not saying I agree with it 100 percent, but at the very least, I'd say it makes a rather nice case for Kefka existing as he is, lack of backstory and all.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:45:22 PM by badsanta » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »

I loved VI. It was depressing and dramatic, but I enjoyed the characters and Kefka's insanity, and it's my favorite story.

VII was alright. Characters didn't grab me, I loved it for the gameplay.

VIII, er, I did not finish. I had others fill me in on the story though, and I read it online. All I have to say it, WTF.

I liked X's story. Characters were alright, Tidus was annoying, but still believable. The characters, at least some of them, evolved.

I kinda blasted through IV, so I don't remember the story in *detail* but it was alright.

The rest I didn't complete or look up a synopsis.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 12:44:44 AM »

To me, Tactics has the best story. :p

In the main series, I have to go with VI.  The story was great, but it was the characters that hooked me.  And as for Kefka's motivation for destroying the world, why does he need any?  It's called nihilism (more accurately a mix of moral and existential nihilism).  Remember what Alfred said in The Dark Knight;

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Anyway, VI was the best to me, followed by IV and VII.  The only gripe I have for VI is that it is ridiculously easy.

Edit: I've completed Final Fantasy I through X-2.  I don't like MMOs, so I didn't play XI or XIV.  I could only tolerate XII for about 4-5 hours and I won't dare touch XIII.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:03:00 AM by Zadok83 » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »

I don't see why I'm being sacked for hating Tidus for being annoying, many others agree.  Don't make me bring up the laughing scene, please dont.  I'm sure my parents thought I was a retard for playing a game with something so embarrassing to watch.
And yeah, I barely remember the game to remember the Jecht/Tidus story.  I do remember loving the irony of Jecht being celebrated.

I agree with the Kefka bit.  He was just a guy who wanted to see the world burn.  A hard motive to pull off, but I think the game builds up well enough into it.  I'd kill ....KILL for a remake.  There's something too, graphically, that I think would look brilliant on a next gen console (all the metals would have that high-def-bloom-effect SHINE!)

FF12...  They should remake this one too...as the online title it resembles.

I'm surprised for all the FF7 is "okay" reviews.  Or are people just afraid to say it was "great" because of what fanboys (and spinoffs) have done to the series?  I personally thought the plot was brilliant, especially for it's time.  Midgar was the perfect start, a large stage, but a small step to the even bigger world and the bigger picture (remember how it felt to finally walk a world map - only to be greeted by a friendly choco farm and two Midgar Zollums?? (one swimming, one speared).  The meteor was a looming terror - something I can't even imagine dealing with in normal life.  I forgot a lot of the Sephiroth stuff, but his insanity drove a whirwind of mess wherever he went.  Oddly enough, one thing I hated was Vincent..the sort of pseudo-vampire thing was just ...weirder than Gogo and Umaro joining. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 01:25:24 AM »

I don't see why I'm being sacked for hating Tidus for being annoying, many others agree.  Don't make me bring up the laughing scene, please dont.  I'm sure my parents thought I was a retard for playing a game with something so embarrassing to watch.
And yeah, I barely remember the game to remember the Jecht/Tidus story.  I do remember loving the irony of Jecht being celebrated.

I agree with the Kefka bit.  He was just a guy who wanted to see the world burn.  A hard motive to pull off, but I think the game builds up well enough into it.  I'd kill ....KILL for a remake.  There's something too, graphically, that I think would look brilliant on a next gen console (all the metals would have that high-def-bloom-effect SHINE!)

FF12...  They should remake this one too...as the online title it resembles.

I'm surprised for all the FF7 is "okay" reviews.  Or are people just afraid to say it was "great" because of what fanboys (and spinoffs) have done to the series?  I personally thought the plot was brilliant, especially for it's time.  Midgar was the perfect start, a large stage, but a small step to the even bigger world and the bigger picture (remember how it felt to finally walk a world map - only to be greeted by a friendly choco farm and two Midgar Zollums?? (one swimming, one speared).  The meteor was a looming terror - something I can't even imagine dealing with in normal life.  I forgot a lot of the Sephiroth stuff, but his insanity drove a whirwind of mess wherever he went.  Oddly enough, one thing I hated was Vincent..the sort of pseudo-vampire thing was just ...weirder than Gogo and Umaro joining. =P

I definitely agree with you about Tidus.  I couldn't stand him and Wakka.  It kinda sucks that they were very useful in battle and had HUGE damage potential with Blitz Ace and Attack Reels, respectively.  

I also agree with you about FF7.  Sure Squeenix milked it to death, but it was a great game and is in my top 3.  I just don't get why it's almost a crime to like FF7 and dislike FF9.  While 9 was a good game, it just didn't appeal to my tastes.  The only characters I liked in 9 were Amarant, Freya, and Beatrix.  The story did tend to be a little slow.  There was some humor, but a lot of it seemed forced.  The only time I felt anything for Zidane is when he "snapped."  And don't even get me started on Kuja.

Edit:  I actually liked Vincent, the former Turk turned "vampire."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:30:12 AM by Zadok83 » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »

There were parts of VII I enjoyed (a lot of it in Midgar), but the story doesn't stand out to me now.

Even when I played it, before all the fanboys emerged, I thought Cloud was a doofus and Sephiroth was boring. Of course I'd JUST beaten VI that summer, so a lot of villains would look boring next to Kefka... =P

Man, I forgot how annoying Wakka was, actually. I think part of it was that they couldn't decide what his accent was supposed to be. I was glad he wasn't in X-2.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 02:07:22 AM »

IX, VII, VI and X had the best stories in my opinion. But if I had to choose one, I'll go with X. Spira is still my favorite world in any FF. And both Tidus and Wakka are awesome.

Nobody voted for XIII I see. Well, Good.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 02:16:25 AM »

Ack, it's been so very long since I played the older FFs that I can't recall their stories in major detail (heck it's been quite some time since I touched the PSOne titles as well). It's a tough call. In terms of how I felt at the time of originally playing the game I would say that IV and VIII left the best impressions on me. In hindsight VI and Tactics stand out as the more solid tales Final Fantasy has spun.

In all honesty though I'd say Final Fantasy Mystic Quest deserves an honorable mention. The plot flows relatively smoothly with decent amounts of seriousness and comedy mixed in for a relatively satisfying conclusion. For an "Intro" RPG. Before you throw flaming spears for me saying that realize lashing on FFMQ's plot for lack of complexity is equivalent to barking about a children's story lacking twists. XD It's a simple story for a introductory audience. At 6 years old I thought it was fantastic.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 02:25:24 AM »

Ack, it's been so very long since I played the older FFs that I can't recall their stories in major detail (heck it's been quite some time since I touched the PSOne titles as well). It's a tough call. In terms of how I felt at the time of originally playing the game I would say that IV and VIII left the best impressions on me. In hindsight VI and Tactics stand out as the more solid tales Final Fantasy has spun.

In all honesty though I'd say Final Fantasy Mystic Quest deserves an honorable mention. The plot flows relatively smoothly with decent amounts of seriousness and comedy mixed in for a relatively satisfying conclusion. For an "Intro" RPG. Before you throw flaming spears for me saying that realize lashing on FFMQ's plot for lack of complexity is equivalent to barking about a children's story lacking twists. XD It's a simple story for a introductory audience. At 6 years old I thought it was fantastic.

Believe it or not, I agree with you about Mystic Quest.  Also, I love the music of Mystic Quest and FFIV.  Simple, yet effective.  It proves that you don't need an entire orchestra or Leona Lewis to have a decent musical score.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 04:06:26 AM »

9 I never had the guts to try (3 friends tell me it starts being fun after the 72 hours mark...)

Well, these 3 friends should go burn, because FFIX is amazing from when you pop in the first disc.

Anyway, my favourite FF plot? I toss this one around quite a lot between VI and VII. Both are really intense, and VII especially is quite touching for the most part.

And yeah. Tidus is a terrible character. He looks like a douche. He acts like a child. He doesn't deserve Yuna. But nevertheless, FFX also had a brilliant plot. And is a brilliant game.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »

I don't see why I'm being sacked for hating Tidus for being annoying...
Your being "sacked" because you are attempting to foist off your opinion as fact. Sadly I knew something like this was eventually going to happen. :(

many others agree.  Don't make me bring up the laughing scene, please dont.  I'm sure my parents thought I was a retard for playing a game with something so embarrassing to watch.
And your point is...?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 09:12:59 AM »

Your being "sacked" because you are attempting to foist off your opinion as fact. Sadly I knew something like this was eventually going to happen. :(

many others agree.  Don't make me bring up the laughing scene, please dont.  I'm sure my parents thought I was a retard for playing a game with something so embarrassing to watch.
And your point is...?

You're reading too much into it.  Reviewers have said he is, I have, a few people here have, and it's not like he's unanimously loved.  I'm not stating *EVERYONE* is on the "hate" bandwagon, and I'm not trying to recruit people - I'm stating and defending my opinion.  And I've already said, twice, I liked his character's development - just not aspects of the character himself.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 09:33:13 AM »

And your point is...?

You're reading too much into it.  Reviewers have said he is, I have, a few people here have, and it's not like he's unanimously loved.  I'm not stating *EVERYONE* is on the "hate" bandwagon, and I'm not trying to recruit people - I'm stating and defending my opinion.  And I've already said, twice, I liked his character's development - just not aspects of the character himself.
Fair enough. It's just that your post had a pejorative tone, as if it was absurd for anyone to like him because so many felt differently.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: