Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?  (Read 14535 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

X was the only FF where I mostly ignored side missions and finished the main quest straight, and I liked its story the most. If I had to analyze, putting aside my personal preference, I'd say VI and VII were the most consistent within their respective themes. Now where is the fun in that? "I'm really just asking for a fan's opinion on this" is what the OP asked for after all, so I don't think we should treat this thread like some sort of professional editorial. Anyone can come up with a believable justification to why VI, VII, VIII, IX, Tactics or X has the best story, because they're all good in one way or another.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it's not wrong.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »

Not playing down your tastes or anything, but it's also feasible that you played it because of the production values at the time, and because of your own investment in the game. I certainly feel that way with some games. Only weeks, months, or years later do I really sit down and analyse what I've been playing. It takes time to get away from your fandom, as well as a want to eradicate as much bias as possible. It's hard, but necessary for earnest critique in the end.

I realise not everyone likes doing this with their media, but I'm a big fan of analysis. I like a certain amount of being honest with myself about questions of quality, and I do encourage it in others.

X was the only FF where I mostly ignored side missions and finished the main quest straight, and I liked its story the most. If I had to analyze, putting aside my personal preference, I'd say VI and VII were the most consistent within their respective themes. Now where is the fun in that? "I'm really just asking for a fan's opinion on this" is what the OP asked for after all, so I don't think we should treat this thread like some sort of professional editorial. Anyone can come up with a believable justification to why VI, VII, VIII, IX, Tactics or X has the best story, because they're all good in one way or another.

Even a "fan's opinion" should be a carefully weighed and informed one. Otherwise you can come off as an ignorant viewer, and it's really hard to be entitled to your own opinion when it isn't informed.

"Fun" is, to me, finding out the heart of a matter. It approaches a deeper level of fun, in the same way discovering a new strategy or play style is in a fighting game or RTS. Surface level fun is one thing, but analysis is, for me, a more involved level of fun.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »

i know its an MMO but i think 11 has the best story/stories.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »

From what I've played of it, I'd have to agree, or at least say it's in the top 3. It was the sole reason I played it for hours on end, despite never finding a good party.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »

From what I've played of it, I'd have to agree, or at least say it's in the top 3. It was the sole reason I played it for hours on end, despite never finding a good party.

Care to explain? I always just thought MMORPG's were all about playing with other people, or at the least, not about story in any way.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 10:22:14 PM »

Care to explain? I always just thought MMORPG's were all about playing with other people, or at the least, not about story in any way.

I dunno, I guess it just has a more compelling overall storyline than most, if any other MMORPGs contain. The characters were all likeable, too. The local, the fleshed-out lore - It all just sucked me in. More MMOs need to do that. I think Dragon Quest IX will be the closest thing I get to that again, even FF14 seems to have less emphasis on the story.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »

VI. I like the focus on a large number of characters with their own story and how they all come together.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »

Oh my god.

Someone needs to tell Square Enix to release Final Fantasy XI as a series of iPhone apps for each storyline.  Figure out the details, but sell the storylines individually.

FF4 had the best story because it was pure.  The giant of Babel wasn't megatron, or some JRPG stereotypical mech, it was just a monster... who happened to be a robot.

Final Fantasy IV is the story that all other stories are based on.  I'm sorry I can't justify this argument.  It's a simple story, but unnecessarily great ideas were put into the simple plot devices, such as Cecil's class change.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »

Oh my god.

Someone needs to tell Square Enix to release Final Fantasy XI as a series of iPhone apps for each storyline.  Figure out the details, but sell the storylines individually.

FF4 had the best story because it was pure.  The giant of Babel wasn't megatron, or some JRPG stereotypical mech, it was just a monster... who happened to be a robot.

Final Fantasy IV is the story that all other stories are based on.  I'm sorry I can't justify this argument.  It's a simple story, but unnecessarily great ideas were put into the simple plot devices, such as Cecil's class change.

I call that "fairy tale" charm.  It's typical, tells an adventure with a knight, pure woman/princess, tragedy, mytic-ness, and good times.  It's nothing complex, just a good tale

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »

Oh my god.

I call that "fairy tale" charm.  It's typical, tells an adventure with a knight, pure woman/princess, tragedy, mytic-ness, and good times.  It's nothing complex, just a good tale

Doesn't hurt it either to have a spell-casting Dr. Wily beating bishonens over the head with sticks whilst screaming "You spoony bard!".
>.>
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »

If we're talking about story, meaning the why and the tone, the character journeys, I'd probably put 4 and 6 on the pedestal, with 13, 10, and 7 as the next tier.

FF4's story is relatively simple, being first about redemption of a tarnished soul, and then the attempt to bring about the redemption of others. And all of this is housed in a very simple fantasy setting, with many of the tropes of the genre. But I'd actually argue that no other FF game has such a strong undercurrent of meaning from start to finish. Final Fantasy IV is about saving your soul, and then saving the souls of others.

FF6, in my opinion, has the best PLOT of all the FF games. <Sorry, had to cut most of the content I'd originally posted here - I've found my next editorial!> At any rate, it doesn't have the true overall tone that some of the FF games had, but it had more characters, and more quality of storyline for each character, than many of the other games I've played. If you could even drag out the depth for these characters more, it would be even better - but what this game lacks in depth, it makes up for in breadth.

I still (firmly) believe that PS3-quality remakes of 4, 6, and 7, using the Crystal Tools engine, and slightly revised battle systems, would be among the greatest games ever built. I bet they'd sell well too.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2011, 05:25:55 AM »

Difficult to say which is the "best" because of differences in each gamer.I have played most of the Final Fantasy games apart from the spin-offs and my favorite is 12.As weird as many might see it,I enjoyed the political story and lore of Ivalice.

When it comes to the FF with the deepest story,it might be Final Fantasy VI

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »

I still (firmly) believe that PS3-quality remakes of 4, 6, and 7, using the Crystal Tools engine, and slightly revised battle systems, would be among the greatest games ever built. I bet they'd sell well too.

Unfortunately, with the order they're remaking the games, it seems like we might get F5 first.  I wonder what they'd change, but I *guess* I can see it on 3DS.
FF6 on the PS3 would become my favorite before I owned it haha

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »

You put too much faith in these old games. The development costs would be enormous. They barely pushed out FF13.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »

I'll admit, I liked FFT's plot the most. Fantasy retelling of the War of the Roses that gets derailed into save the world JRPGness was at least half good and they didn't really mishandle the JRPG part too much either.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: