Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
Re: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
The problem with FFT story for me was that I could not for the life of me understand it. I played it from beginning to end more than 3 times, and yet I can't grasp the story. I've heard the translation had some issues but still... In my defense all was making sense until the last chapter.

As for the best, I'd pick between VII and X. They both had a good cast of characters, a plot that keeps evolving and a great ending.

ALUCARDfromHELLSING

• View Profile
    • Jade Valerie Nation
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
FFT ending was a little shocking (at least for me). I mean one specific part of it.
X was the only FF where I mostly ignored side missions and finished the main quest straight, and I liked its story the most. If I had to analyze, putting aside my personal preference, I'd say VI and VII were the most consistent within their respective themes. Now where is the fun in that? "I'm really just asking for a fan's opinion on this" is what the OP asked for after all, so I don't think we should treat this thread like some sort of professional editorial. Anyone can come up with a believable justification to why VI, VII, VIII, IX, Tactics or X has the best story, because they're all good in one way or another.
Same here. I think Final Fantasy X is the only game that ever made me cry. This story definitely touched me. There are so many reasons why I love it.

I've finished V a few days ago and I must say it has really great story. Yes, it's the story is 'bout crystals (again) where main villain has name exdeath, but the way it's told is Great. It has many funny and many sad moments. Wish SE made After Years for this one as well.

I haven't finished III, VI and never played XI, XIII and XIV. So I can't say anything 'bout 'em.

lavarock

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
Story wise I will pick VI, VII X, and XII, probably not many will pick XII on this board but I really liked its story (not the characters because they are overshadowed by the epicness of the story!)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
I still (firmly) believe that PS3-quality remakes of 4, 6, and 7, using the Crystal Tools engine, and slightly revised battle systems, would be among the greatest games ever built. I bet they'd sell well too.

You put too much faith in these old games. The development costs would be enormous. They barely pushed out FF13.

I don't get it... why can't RPG developers find some sort of merry-median between the next-gen quality we see in FF13 and the whole-wide-world exploration we see in Tales of Vesperia?
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
I still (firmly) believe that PS3-quality remakes of 4, 6, and 7, using the Crystal Tools engine, and slightly revised battle systems, would be among the greatest games ever built. I bet they'd sell well too.

You put too much faith in these old games. The development costs would be enormous. They barely pushed out FF13.

I don't get it... why can't RPG developers find some sort of merry-median between the next-gen quality we see in FF13 and the whole-wide-world exploration we see in Tales of Vesperia?

Because then they would have to work their brains.
Example, like when SE said they were going to work on a new engine for FFXV. As if it were necessary, if they used what they had they could make a much more expansive game in a much shorter amount of time and less development coast.

All we have to do is look how many games in the west use the unreal engine. Pretty much all of them (a joke) yet they keep pushing it further.

The answer to your question may be answered by VersusXIII, we all hope for it.
My take on it, it may also be possible that the disc space on the 360 may be holding developers on putting much more stuff on the disk but to shut myself up, we just have to look how beautiful Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption and some other look while being huge games.
Maybe japanese developers don't know how to compress well game data.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »
The problem with FFT story for me was that I could not for the life of me understand it. I played it from beginning to end more than 3 times, and yet I can't grasp the story. I've heard the translation had some issues but still... In my defense all was making sense until the last chapter.

As for the best, I'd pick between VII and X. They both had a good cast of characters, a plot that keeps evolving and a great ending.
What didn't you understand?

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »

I gwt this problem with a lot of titles - more commonly after I've played them, I don't know what the fuck just happened.  A few games are "memorable" in that sense (DDS was, CCross was not).

I could not detail you on FF8's story any more passed basic premises in it.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2011, 01:15:16 AM »
I wonder what has more characters... The Brothers Karamazov or FFT

Cloudsorrow256

• Dont pretend to think what you do, just do it...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
As an Japanese(mostly)-RPG game lover, i cant define my favorite FF, but what i can say or mention , its those who didnt caught my attention as others did, as an example, here FF X-2, it has nothing that a Final fantasy game must have or unless, what i look into them, then, theres FF XI............. yeah, its the most extended Final fantasy world that any other game on its genre has, but, its not an RPG, it has no story, it doesnt have a complete story....i dont know, sorry FF XI but i couldnt feel the same feelings for you than the ones i´ve had for ur other brothers :)
"A Neverending journey."

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
The people who were brave enough to play this grinfest called FFXI or had the spare time to do so say there is a story and it's quite good. The bad thing is that it's hidden inside a box full of frustration, grinding, repetition and clunkyness.
They should a some point, maybe when FFXI is no longer profitable release a "FFXI light", it would be single player, you'd have a party and play it like FFXII. Put some voices and cutscenes in and it's done. Cheap to do and fans would buy it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 02:15:36 AM »
My most preferred FF title is probably a clash between VI and tactics. Tactics offered a very dark story that got worse as you went on, which offered me a good reason to power onward. A very medieval political scandal, and the antiheroes who operate under the disguise of bad guys that were, in turn, worse guys. I ate it up, it was like watching a robin hood-like tale play out on my console. That, plus the job leveling, and trying to make my one man army unstoppable was just so much awesome.

VI, on the other hand, was a very different approach with some similarities. The story was more misleading bad guy wants power, lesser baddie wants chaos, uses big baddie to get his objectives fulfilled. It's like no matter where you turned, you were already getting screwed, you just didn't know it yet. But no matter what, you kept trying. And to add insult to injury....

Well I won't spoil that.

Either game was amazing, but idk which I'd rather play on a dull afternoon and my internet exploded leaving me just those options. Tough call.

TASTY!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
My favorite is FFIX for reason's I've enumerated elsewhere. But it's... more the characters than the story, really. I could relate to them all in various ways. Especially with the themes of mortality. It's not even so much in that it had themes of mortality. That's nothing new for FF. It's more that it was along the lines of Automatic for the People -- living with the awareness of mortality, and that made a huge difference.

It was also very much about shattered worldviews. Or continuing with the death theme, the death of ideals, except I don't like that as much.

At the same time though it could be dark without losing its charm and sense of humor. It never really let itself get stupid. Zane's the only character that really wallows in his own self pity, and... that's very brief, totally in character for him the way it plays out, and it's... actually sort of funny.

Maybe this isn't really accurate. FFIX's storyline wasn't that important. There's a bad guy, he's threatening the crystals and the safety of the world, and so on. Same thing you had in like, basically every FF.

FFIX is kind of a modern take on that, though. It's the same basic story from, well, FF1/3/4, but instead of focusing on the storyline, it focuses on how the characters react and are changed by the events going on around them, and I think it was one of Square's finest moments.

Least favorite FF story was maybe FFVIII. Part of it was nobody getting any character development except Squall, part of it was that it didn't actually have a story outside of a bunch of vaguely related events involving time travel as well as some really out there stuff like QUICK LETS KILL NORG FOR NO APPARENT REASON, ALSO THE VILLAGE OF ROOMBAS. You could actually apply that same argument to Chrono Cross, except I won't, because I like CC.

Actually no. My least favorite FF story was FFXII. The fact that I forgot it existed long enough to mention FFVIII (which seriously wasn't THAT bad) should be an indicator of my main issue with it. Okay, so here's the thing. In my semi-redacted FFVIII comments, I mention that FFVIII is less of a story and more of a series of vaguely connected events. Except I can actually recall what those events were and the general little subplots they involved, even if I felt like a lot of them were just out of nowhere or a little pointless. FFXII? I have no idea what was going on in that game, ever. It was a bunch of pseudo-political BS that was meaningless and crossbred with 'deifacted nethicyte' whatever that was. Penelo gets kidnapped by pirates at one point. Why? Was there any motivation for that? They pull the evil twin brother thing. Unironically. And they do it twice. You do some shit in Bhujerba. Again, why? Something with clearing Basch's name for some reason..?

The biggest problem is that the main character (Vaan?) has no connection to anything that really goes on in the story. The biggerest problem is that the other characters don't really have much of a connection either. I mean Asch is some sort of deposed princess. Balthier... has an evil twin brother. I think. Fran... Fran is some Icelandic-speaking black rabbit-elf. And has something to do with the Mist which is a thing that exists. I don't know. There's no real character development. Nobody really has a personality. Things happen whether there's a reason to or not and then other things happen.

For a good story, it's best to have good characterization and a good plotline. You can get away with one or the other (especially if you've got good characters). It also helps a lot to have good writing. FFXII didn't really have... any of these.

Realistically FFXII is another game about a huge evil empire with airships going after some crystals and threatening the state of the world, and in a sense is like FFIX in that it tries to put a more modern twist on it. However, in FFXII's route, it goes down a misguided path of trying to make everything darker and edgier by glorping on a bunch of incoherent 'political 'intrigue'' and neologisms.

Of course this is sort of discounting FF1-3 because by and large they weren't story driven so why emasculate that dead horse in public? Although I really found FF1 and 2's plotlines more engaging than FFXII's because I was at least aware of things going on.

@redacted velociraptor comments: that was more of a jab at the sort of asinine anti-FFVII rants you get from oldschool FF fanboys. Basically I've been reading more gamefaqs and mobygames reviews than I really want to lately and I sort of want to gouge things.

Similarly I have a massive urge to take a picture of a brick with ants crawling on it and photoshop the words FINAL FANTASY on top of it, just to make it look like I'm making some sort of comment about the games (when in fact it'd just be a really obscure Mary Tyler Moore reference).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:58:45 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

PotRoast

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »
I think FFVII had the most injurious story to the series. It's like you have a velociraptor, and this velociraptor represents Square's fanbase. And you have Cloud, who represents FFVII.

Cloud is pounding the velociraptor in the butt. And the velociraptor is crying.

This is FFVII.

Wow, my brain hurts from the stupid. I'm going to have to go do something stimulating before I can come back and finishing reading these threads.

Edit: I should probably explain why this makes my head hurt rather than just sound like a troll. Your analogy has no valuable information in it, at all. What the heck does a velociraptor and Square's fanbase have in common? How does FF7's story "sodomize" (as you are essentially putting it) the fanbase? You sound like a child making such statements.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:56:14 PM by PotRoast »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
While not as critical as PotRoast, I didn't understand the analogy either.  Then again my brain is fried with this stupid fucken paper I'm reading called "What Isn't History". 

I thought FF7 could be brilliantly retold in a more next gen format.  The 5-foot tall "3D-sprite" look of FF7 leaves little the imagination when cloud is shaking his fist sockem boppers.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:27 AM »
The people who were brave enough to play this grinfest called FFXI or had the spare time to do so say there is a story and it's quite good.

Those people would be lying to you. XI had a "good story" comparatively to other MMOs because it was one of the only MMOs at the time that even bothered trying to have cutscenes at all, and a lot of it was given the illusion of a larger story because it was drip-fed to the players. The funny thing is that while other MMOs were picking up that same idea, XI drifted farther and farther away from it. Some day I'm just going to write a summary/review of it all, and your first reaction will be, "That's a surprisingly short article for 6 years of content". I could go into more detail, but I'd probably lose you if I didn't sit down and spend way more time thinking about how to tell it to someone who hasn't played the game itself, heh.

Hell, read Patrick Gann's recent review of Wings of the Goddess. Those few paragraphs he wrote about the story was actually something like 75% of the storyline.