Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319588 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print
Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?  (Read 14177 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:06 AM »

I think it's mostly visual and some control issues that make FFVII age badly. Otherwise though, I don't think there are very many RPGs that really do age badly once you're out of the 16-bit era, and quite a few of those (notably FF titles!) aged very well too. Admittedly I don't doubt that the age you got into some games can be a factor, but there's less you can improve on RPGs from the technology of the late 90s versus FPSes (on consoles anyway) and other more actiony games.

Random encounters are always something that could be done away with.

That said, FFVII felt like FFs V & VI but less. Same idea that the first half of the game builds the world while you're taking the tour on the rails, then the second half opens up due to shit hitting the fan and its side quest city while backtracking to see how everything's changed thanks to the big event. FFV had the worlds FU-SION-HA!, FFVI had the overworld reshaped to the point of nearly being unrecognizable, FFVII had a change in overworld music and a bright red splotch up in the sky. FFVI also has more characters and have the cast shuffle around more during the pre-shitty fan part while FFVII was more like "Alright _______. Time to force yourself into the party for your character development in this next area." or more precisely less subtle character development (it also didn't help that VII forced you to have only 3 party members active at once (but then again, outside of IX there hasn't been a four member party since)). Summon cutscenes started into their infamous cutscene showboating (the worst of this was Bahamut ZERO). And most of this was either overlooked or accepted at the time due to the shininess of the then brand new 3D. Now it just feels like an SuperNES era JRPG, but less, and with blocky Popeye characters on prerendered .JPEGs.

On the plus side FFVII is still vastly more playable than FFVIII is with its constant camera wigouts and showboating character animations per battle, drawing magic/playing Triple Triad until the cows come home, ridiculously overlong unskipable summon animations, and shallow, all over the fucking place, plot.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »

I LOVE FF7!!!!

VIncent is soooo HOT!!!! lol!!!
His eyes are so deep, I LOVED HIM IN ADVENT CHILDREN, H8ers DON'T H8!!!!!!
He's is ttoootaalllyy a vaaampire.  <3 <3

I played DIrge of Cerbres like TEN TIMES.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »

Dice, what did you eat for breakfast?
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »

Count Chocula, obviously.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »

LOOOLL BADSANTAs SO FUNNY!!! Its true tho!! Itz all i ever eet after the movie cam out.
C'mooon why aren't there more VINCENTO VARENTINE FANS !!! ,,^___^,,

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »

LOOOLL BADSANTAs SO FUNNY!!! Its true tho!! Itz all i ever eet after the movie cam out.
C'mooon why aren't there more VINCENTO VARENTINE FANS !!! ,,^___^,,

I want a divorce.

GET OUT OF MY CITY.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2011, 03:54:31 PM »

If we're talking about story, meaning the why and the tone, the character journeys, I'd probably put 4 and 6 on the pedestal, with 13, 10, and 7 as the next tier.

FF4's story is relatively simple, being first about redemption of a tarnished soul, and then the attempt to bring about the redemption of others. And all of this is housed in a very simple fantasy setting, with many of the tropes of the genre. But I'd actually argue that no other FF game has such a strong undercurrent of meaning from start to finish. Final Fantasy IV is about saving your soul, and then saving the souls of others.

FF6, in my opinion, has the best PLOT of all the FF games. <Sorry, had to cut most of the content I'd originally posted here - I've found my next editorial!> At any rate, it doesn't have the true overall tone that some of the FF games had, but it had more characters, and more quality of storyline for each character, than many of the other games I've played. If you could even drag out the depth for these characters more, it would be even better - but what this game lacks in depth, it makes up for in breadth.

I still (firmly) believe that PS3-quality remakes of 4, 6, and 7, using the Crystal Tools engine, and slightly revised battle systems, would be among the greatest games ever built. I bet they'd sell well too.

This. (minus 13 in anything but the bottom tier)

However, I don't have enough faith in Squeenix to make quality remakes of those classics.  The way the company is now, they'd probably manage to turn those three into one big awesomely decorated hallway.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:59:54 PM by Zadok83 » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »

However, I don't have enough faith in Squeenix to make quality remakes of those classics.  The way the company is now, they'd probably manage to turn those three into one big awesomely decorated hallway.

I thought the FF4 DS remake was good. And for "upgraded port" action, it seems the PSP FFIV Complete would satisfy.

A full-on Crystal Engine PS3 remake for IV or VI isn't going to happen. VII ... maybe. If they're crazy enough, they might just do it.

Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics was the best story for me.  There were constant plot twists and I liked the political/government take it included.  If I had to choose one in the main series, it would be a toss up of Final Fantasy 4 and 6.  I would like them to redo Final Fantasy 6 in the same fashion as FF4 Collections on PSP.  The story was refreshing for both titles and I think there is a certain nostalgia effect too. 

Recent Final Fantasy titles have seriously been a let down.  First, it takes them way too long to push the titles out. Spending 4 years on a title is just way too much.  I would like them to do more of a hand-drawn sprite/cell shade route with Tetsuya Nomura's handywork.  It could follow in line with Tales of Vesperia.  Perhaps that would cut down on the cost and time that Square Enix has been using on recent titles.  I like the old school look of games anyway. 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »

Recent Final Fantasy titles have seriously been a let down.  First, it takes them way too long to push the titles out. Spending 4 years on a title is just way too much.

That's not the problem. The thing is that they announce their games way too early to the public.

I would like them to do more of a hand-drawn sprite/cell shade route with Tetsuya Nomura's handywork.  It could follow in line with Tales of Vesperia.  Perhaps that would cut down on the cost and time that Square Enix has been using on recent titles.  I like the old school look of games anyway.

Square Enix doesn't care about your nostalgia, if you want something "familiar" in a modern Final Fantasy then buy the remakes (or the Dissidia games). Also, they will throw as much money necessary in a project for a the game to look good for publicity. Since VII they do that and is happening with Type-0 and Versus XIII right now, why would they change now?

Hell, did you see all the ads for The 3rd Birthday? It just candy for the eyes. And it works.
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »

That's not the problem. The thing is that they announce their games way too early to the public.

Yeah, I considered that and I agree with you on that point.  But didn't Final Fantasy 8 only take two years to develop?

Square Enix doesn't care about your nostalgia, if you want something "familiar" in a modern Final Fantasy then buy the remakes (or the Dissidia games). Also, they will throw as much money necessary in a project for a the game to look good for publicity. Since VII they do that and is happening with Type-0 and Versus XIII right now, why would they change now?

Hell, did you see all the ads for The 3rd Birthday? It just candy for the eyes. And it works.

I don't see them changing the formula, which is unfortunate in my opinion.  In regards to the formula working, I somewhat agree with that but not completely.  I agree with the fact that I am sure it makes Square Enix money - they are, after all, a business.  I am not sure the formula completely works for gamers though.  Ratings for some of Square Enix games have fallen, not to the point where it isn't considered a decent game, but it is no longer in the 90% and above category.  I think their formula needs to be modified so the games released aren't just decent but awesome. 
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

I think their formula needs to be modified so the games released aren't just decent but awesome. 

I don't disagree, but it's a lot easier said than done. You can never make everyone happy though. Change a formula around and half the audience will complain. Keep it the same and the other half will complain.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »

I consider "nostalgia" a bad thing when it came to the re-release of FF's 1-4.  It's just... too simple, there's little thought behind it.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »

I've actually got the PSP re-releases of FF1 & 2 on their way to me at the moment. I'm currently playing IV and have III on DS sitting around. I never played any of the originals, so there isn't any nostalgic factor for me, but I'm enjoying the simplicity. There's something quirky and fun about the early titles that disappears after VII.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2011, 02:53:41 AM »

I've actually got the PSP re-releases of FF1 & 2 on their way to me at the moment. I'm currently playing IV and have III on DS sitting around. I never played any of the originals, so there isn't any nostalgic factor for me, but I'm enjoying the simplicity. There's something quirky and fun about the early titles that disappears after VII.

I'd say that disappeared with FFVI, but it wasn't a bad thing really.

To me, FFVI was the beginning of the modern era of RPGs, not FFVII. Even though FFVI was still sprite based, other than that, it really embodies all of what we've come to expect from good modern RPGs. FFIV and FFV are still in that transition between plotless level grinder and modern RPG. The only thing FFVII added was 3D graphics. But in a sense, FFVI created a very 3D-feeling environment, just with sprites. FFVI was also the first to completely break from the mold of standard high-fantasy fare.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: