Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 02:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335315 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print
Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?  (Read 14620 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2011, 03:06:47 AM »

I think you're mostly right, the only problem is I'm not sure that's the modern era anymore. Seemed like FFX kicked off another change, what with becoming much more linear, upping the production values for cinematics, and cutting out some of the series standbys, though that might just be tightening the focus started with FFVI anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »

I played a bit of FFXII recently and I think the game deserves more credit.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

You might think that, but you'd be wrong.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »

I like FFX the best followed closely by IX. Something about the fantasy aspect of the story in X I really liked, and I agree I think XII is sometimes under rated, I thought it was a very enjoyable game, not necessarily great but really good and an enjoyable experience.

Everything's Eventual
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »

fantasy aspect

... No offense, but this series is called 'Final Fantasy' for a reason...

(Okay, the original reason was that the series' creator thought that FF1 would be his last video-game creation, but I think I still have a point here.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:07:20 PM by badsanta » Logged
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »

True, but even with the "fantasy" aspect I feel X was, for instance, much more fantasy orientated than XII, which I found to have many more straight forward, political elements. Perhaps I didn't word it well but that is what I meant by my statement, but thanks for your "point".

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »

You mean such fantasy elements such as having three members of the cast being ghosts and two others being dream people?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:59 AM »

I admit I never really boiled it down to it's simplest terms before (and it sounds pretty lame when you put it like that, lol, but then again the basic premise for quite a few games can be pretty silly at their base elements) but pretty much yes, lol, that is what I meant ;)

Everything's Eventual
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2011, 08:00:23 AM »

wouldnt it be awesome if they made a next gen FFT that isnt all kiddy like FFTA? also it cant look 2 gens old like tactics orge let us cling together.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »

You might think that, but you'd be wrong.

Yeah, it doesn't just deserve more credit, it deserves A LOT more credit. Glad you caught that one.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »

I don't know if I made myself clear, I already played through it once (hell, I did absolutely everything there is to do in it, I would've gotten the platinum trophy if this were on PS3), I'm just saying saying that I recently played the first few hours again to check out how looked on my PC and I think there's a decent story with some good characters here. 4 good characters out of 6 is not bad for a FF game (I only liked Auron in X and I didn't like anyone in VIII for example). I just think that the story is spread to thin and that ends up hurting it. Balthier in particular is an excellent character. There was potential for more but we still got a very cool world to explore, a decent cast and a story that at least didn't end up being a convoluted mess like VIII, this political angle of the story is very rarely used in FF games and was a welcome change imo. I think it's one of the most mature entries in the franchise.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2011, 05:40:09 AM »

I kinda liked/loved VII story...
What bothered me about Final Fantasy VII is that is sorta fakes you out. The first part of game you are in this some what dilapidated almost cyberpunk type of environment then you are just thrust into an insipid fantasy world. It's very depressing for me.

Exactly, from the moment I left midgard I quickly learned to HATE FF7. I prefer FF8 but mostly because I love the characters. The story is quite crazy.

The best FF story though has to be FF6. memorable heros and villains and shockingly serious moments in whats otherwise a rather lighthearted game? Who can forget Celes attempted suicide? It shocked me and the music was perfect for the scene.

P.S. I HATE TIDUS! I HATE HIM SO MUCH! His voice, his stupidity, blitz ball, his effeminate looks.........God, I just HATE him so much.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:37:27 AM by bigdeath » Logged
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:18 AM »

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X. It had a great battle system, tons of sidequests, good music and graphics, and for the most part some pretty good character design.

However, I didn't like Tidus either. His development isn't a problem, because he goes through more character development then probably any other FF main character, but it's the way he sounds and his awful character design. I wonder why Square thought it would be a good idea to make Meg Ryan FFX's lead.

P.S. I HATE TIDUS! I HATE HIM SO MUCH! His voice, his stupidity, blitz ball, his effeminate looks.........God, I just HATE him so much.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X. It had a great battle system, tons of sidequests, good music and graphics, and for the most part some pretty good character design.

However, I didn't like Tidus either. His development isn't a problem, because he goes through more character development then probably any other FF main character, but it's the way he sounds and his awful character design. I wonder why Square thought it would be a good idea to make Meg Ryan FFX's lead.

Tidus was a piss head and largely unlikeable if he was real.  His haircut is disturbingly pretentious, his chest-bearing yellow/black overalls are hideous (redeemed only by a fancy looking sword).  His personality is too awkward amidst the rest of the cast, as well.  There were way better ways to make a sports star, and Tidus looked like he just discovered his first boner half the time.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »

I'm pretty suspicious of any Final Fantasy game's score given by any review site. It doesn't matter what FF game comes out they'll almost always give it a 10 even if it is undeserving. Like when FFVIII came out and the game magazines are giving perfect 10s. Uh, really? No. I think a lot of companies do some under the table stuff to get game mags or websites like gamestop to boost the score or simply publish the most positively biased opinion that makes their game look like it's better than it really is. GTAIV comes to mind. No way was that a perfect 10 game either.

Anyway, I think all Final Fantasy games have fairly simple stories but some games in the series just tell them better than others. FFVI, FFVII, FFX are the good ones. I only played a little bit of FFIX but couldn't get passed the art design. I know that's not a fair way to judge a game but still, I couldn't finish it because the art design bugged me too much. Final Fantasy VIII gets the award for most awful game in the series, imo.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: