Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 11:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327954 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print
Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy Has The Best Story and Why?  (Read 14392 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »

Or they fall to over excitement just as anyone else can! Especially when they rush a game and don't give a game time to digest and for flaws to be made evident, or play a lot of truly bad games to know that, say, FFVIII really isn't an atrocity. At any rate I think FFXIII kind of disproves that, the average is in the 80 range and some places were VERY scathing. Not that there aren't reviewers that, while not outright bribed, may be influenced in one way or another to give a positive review, even simple peer pressure or not wanting to hurt the feelings of a friend or acquittance (which sounds like Famitsu's problem).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:37:34 AM by Eusis » Logged
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »

Or they fall to over excitement just as anyone else can! Especially when they rush a game and don't give a game time to digest and for flaws to be made evident, or play a lot of truly bad games to know that, say, FFVIII really isn't an atrocity. At any rate I think FFXIII kind of disproves that, the average is in the 80 range and some places were VERY scathing. Not that there aren't reviewers that, while not outright bribed, may be influenced in one way or another to give a positive review, even simple peer pressure or not wanting to hurt the feelings of a friend or acquittance (which sounds like Famitsu's problem).

I think a lot of it has to do with over excitement, but I can't help but feel there's some bribery that goes on. Remember that reviewer for gamespot, Jeff Gerstmann, who was abruptly fired after giving Kane and Lynch a bad score?  At the time, gamespot had Kane and Lynch plastered all  over the site with advertisements and there was a ton of hype for the game, then he gives it a bad score and what a coincidence he's fired just like that.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you about FF8. To me it deserves to join the ranks of Drakkhen, Orphen: Scion of Sorcery and Unlimited Saga. Even if it isn't an atrocity, it surely isn't a grade-A game like most gaming magazines were giving it back when it was first released. In FF8s case I think it was hyped so high due to FF7's success.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I haven't played any of FF13 but I have seen my roommate play a bit of it. From what I'm told it's basically running around a pretty hallway 90% of the time and has a similar fighting system to that of FF12 (which I didn't like at all). I probably won't pick it up from what I've been hearing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:56:51 AM by Sise-Neg » Logged

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »

1. FF VI--considering the context of time that it was released, it had the mixture of a good cast, story, setting, gameplay, and villain. Everything meshed well.

The rest of the list is subject to change:

2. FF X-- Story was good and told well. I wish they would have dealt with more of the "dream" world and the origins of "sin". The "hammy" voice acting got on my nerves but I overlooked after playing for a second time. The development of Tidus and Yuna as characters was done well. I could have done without the love story.

3. FFVII-- I think the overall concept of VII was good but the execution of the storytelling could have been told better; having spin-offs (Advent Children, etc) make me believe this is especially true. The cast had decent development until disc 3. The gameplay was good. The setting, for me, helped contribute to the overall make-up of the game. If felt like I was playing a punk sci-fi game ala BladeRunner.

4. FF IV-- Story of redemption, cast, gameplay made this entry to the series a good one.

5. FF IX-- A FF with purposeful HUMOR made this entry a huge plus. I like the relationship between Steiner and Zidane. lol Everything was good except the gameplay. I thought it played slow.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2011/1558.html
You've probably already made your way down to the link below to hype yourself over Final Fantasy Type-0.

We still get hyped about FF?
I thought we all hated it by now.

"...a tale of magic and war, told from the perspective of students who will not submit to a foreign power."

VC2 from rebel point of view.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »

This is not a general FF thread, either find an existing Type-0 thread or make one.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »

Not that there aren't reviewers that, while not outright bribed, may be influenced in one way or another to give a positive review, even simple peer pressure or not wanting to hurt the feelings of a friend or acquittance (which sounds like Famitsu's problem).

Don't forget that, for example, Square decides who gets those early demos for review. If you give a FF game a 72%, do you really think you're going to get the early demo again next time?
I think that's why some big sites just give ridiculous scores to some games. Coverage = revenues. Thus, they can't afford to not have that early review.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: