Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334671 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs this gaming generation_I went with a PSP!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGs this gaming generation_I went with a PSP!  (Read 3721 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »

I'm still not sure which gaming console to go with. This has been a very long process and I still don't see a stand out platform for RPGs. I do have a DS and have a few good rpgs for that system (Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests). My question is beyond that system which is the one to get. I really don't like Microsoft products so I really am not too interested in the 360. I was hoping the PS3 would be the system to get but I don't see many rpgs.  Considering looking at Resonace of Fate and FFXIII, but reviews aren't great. Are there any must haves on the way for the PS3? What about the PSP? Recently, I've seen some really good titles for that machine (Ys, Lunar), anymore? So which is the system to get? Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:13:02 AM by Anime & RPGl and » Logged
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »

Best to go with handhelds for this generation. There are some console jrpgs I do enjoy personally, though not well received, western rpgs have a strongle console front while better jrpgs are on handhelds. Can't go wrong with the psp.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »

DS and PSP for RPGs.  The others for everything else.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »

I agree with everyone - go for the PSP, if you're talking strictly RPGs.  The PSP holds some of my favorite RPGs.  Honestly, when I got my PlayStation 3 it forced me to get into other genres since the RPG library isn't that large.  There are some decent RPGs to play, but save yourself some cash if you're looking to strictly play RPGs and pick up a PSP. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »

Now, isn't the PSP just about a dead console? I mean, it is about at the end of it's life cycle isn't it? And will the new PSP even support the UMD format or are those discs now dead?

Also, I hear there are some really good rpgs to download from the playstation store...can you download them to the psp? How do you do that? Can you down them to a ps3 and then to your psp?
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »

The PSP 2 may or may not be coming out within a year or so but that doesn't make the PSP dead.

There are enough quality games on it to keep you busy for years. But there's no word for backwards compatibility yet
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »

Chiming in to say "Grab the PSP as well". Besides, "dead console" doesn't mean jack crap these days (even if it was one, which it isn't). Look at the PS2. Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Mana Khemia 2, Sakura Wars...these all came out when the PS2 was literally on it's last days and they're all fantastic games I still play. Never count a console as out of the race until the very last disk is printed.

Also I'd actually say do not buy a DS. Save your money and buy a 3DS when it comes out next year.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »

Now, isn't the PSP just about a dead console? I mean, it is about at the end of it's life cycle isn't it? And will the new PSP even support the UMD format or are those discs now dead?

Also, I hear there are some really good rpgs to download from the playstation store...can you download them to the psp? How do you do that? Can you down them to a ps3 and then to your psp?

The PSP is mostly a "dead console" in that American support is drying up, it's still a popular system in Japan and as long as companies like Atlus and Xseed keep localizing the titles that come out there then there's not too much to worry about. Anyways, you buy the games through the Playstation's online store, which can be done directly on the PSP or through the PS3 (which will store the games on the HD to copy over) or PC (through the application Media Go, which you can use to browse their selection).

I'd also argue about not overlooking the Xbox just because of who made it... but you know what? Just about every RPG worth playing is either multiplatform or outright exclusive to the PS3, notably Demon's Souls. The biggest exceptions are the Mistwalker Games and Fable II, the former of which were above average but skippable while the latter I'm guessing isn't something you're interested in. If you don't have a good gaming PC though you can throw Mass Effect 1, The Last Remnant, and Fable III into that list of exclusives.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »

In terms of HD home consoles, the good ones are... (I'm going to exclude the PC from all of this)

PS3: Demon's Souls - Valkyria Chronicles.
360: Lost Odyssey - Mass Effect 1 - Tales of Vesperia.
PS3/360: Nier - Fallout 3 & NV - Oblivion - Mass Effect 2 - Dragon Age.

Some titles that might interest you:
Star Ocean 4 (PS3/360) - Eternal Sonata (PS3/360) - The Last Remnant (360) - Resonance of Fate (PS3/360) - Folklore (PS3) - Infinite Undiscovery (360) - White Knight Chronicles (PS3) - Magna Carta II (360)

Some of the upcoming ones:

Dragon Age II (PS3/360) - Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3/???) - Project Dark (PS3/360) - Mass Effect 3 (Probably PS3/360)

Basically, you'll need both consoles, which is quite an investment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by what you wrote it seems that you mostly, if not exclusively, play Japanese RPGs. If that's the case, then by all means get a PSP. You already have a DS, which is the other definitive console for JRPGs.

Some of the currently available RPGs on the PSP that range from "quite good" to "great":

Ys: The Oath in Felghana & Ys Seven - Half-Minute Hero - Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman - Cladun: This is an RPG - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Valkyria Chronicles II - Persona & Persona 3 Portable - Lunar: Silver Star Harmony - Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - Star Ocean: The Second Evolution.

The ones that aren't necessarily great...

Hexyz Force - Crimson Gem Saga - Brave Story: New Traveler - Star ocean: First Departure - Tales of The World: Radiant Mythology - Phantasy Star portable 1 & 2.

Some upcoming ones...

The 3rd Birthday - Tales of The Last Promise - Final Fantasy Agito XIII - Half-Minute Hero 2 - Persona 2: Innocent Sin - Valkyria Chronicles III - White Knight Chronicles.

The last couple of years were good to the PSP, and it seems next year will be good as well. Go grab one.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:36:33 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

I forgot about Tales of Vesperia. Well, it IS multiplatform, but we failed to get the PS3 version over here. I'm betting it's because they decided to dub the ENTIRE DAMN GAME, otherwise it probably would've been an easy call.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »

If you're into JRPGs, the PSP is anything but dead. It still gets new games (including ports) announced all the time. That's probably your best bet if you already own a DS.

A lot of people mentioned games for it already, but I thought I might add Tactics Ogre and Lord of Arcana to the list. Even if games were to suddenly stop coming out for it after what's been announced, it's got a great RPG library currently.

A PS3 isn't a great investment if you're going to limit yourself to RPGs but is good for pretty much anything else.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »

The DS and the PSP are the RPG strongholds right now.

Otherwise the 360 should handle most of your RPG needs(Tales of Vesperia,Resonance,FFXIII,Mass Effect,Fallout NV,Fable 3,Lost Odyssey)

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »

A PS3 isn't a great investment if you're going to limit yourself to RPGs but is good for pretty much anything else.

Decent blu-ray player too.

But yeah, if you're going to buy something solely  for the RPG's, the PSP is probably the best choice, especially if you missed some games during the PSone era. Plenty of good ports and remakes, oh, and everything from the PlayStation Store of course.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »

When I got my PS3 the Blu-ray player wasn't a factor, but now that I have one I find that I've been building up a nice blu-ray collection. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »

The PSP and get some more games on your DS. All 3 systems are really lagging this gen when in comes to RPGs. If you really must get one, though, I suggest the PS3, since the only exclusive RPGs on the 360 are pretty disappointing.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: