Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:03:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335260 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs this gaming generation_I went with a PSP!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGs this gaming generation_I went with a PSP!  (Read 3763 times)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »

As prettymuch everyone else said, PSP is the best choice overall.  I would mention though that if you have an older model DS that can play GBA games there are a lot of good GBA RPGs you can play on it. 
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »

Picked up a PSP over the holiday. $130 with a 1gb card and Little Big Planet. Didn't think that was too bad. Thinking about getting Lunar(limited edition), Star Ocean 1 and 2. More suggestions welcome for games to pick up. How are the limited editions of the latest Ys titles? Thanks again.
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »

Two games that haven't been mentioned yet for the psp, but that will be out in the near future (at least one of them anyway) are Ys: Chronicles I & II and Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky 1. Both should be fantastic. I'm particularly looking forward to the Legend of Heroes game.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »

Picked up a PSP over the holiday. $130 with a 1gb card and Little Big Planet. Didn't think that was too bad. Thinking about getting Lunar(limited edition), Star Ocean 1 and 2. More suggestions welcome for games to pick up. How are the limited editions of the latest Ys titles? Thanks again.

I have the limited edition Ys Seven but only the normal Oath in Felghana.  Seven limited edition is +$20 price retail and has soundtrack CD, artbook (with art for seven, felghana, and chronicles), and a cloth map.  Felghana limited edition is +$10 with soundtrack and a calender with Ys artwork. 

I'd recommend Gurumin: A monstrous adventure (also made by Falcom who do the Ys series), Half Minute Hero, ZHP, Riviera, Yggdra union, and Knights in the Nightmare.  I don't have the last 3 on psp but I know they are great games since I've played the GBA/DS versions.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:07:21 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »

First of, A&RPGl and, you picked 3 very good games to start with.=) Secondly, I recommend Jeanne D'Arc and Hexyz Force. And I'll be a deviant and also recommend Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 2, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force are both on Sale right now, so if you're interested, they certainly won't break your bank if you get them today.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »

First of, A&RPGl and, you picked 3 very good games to start with.=) Secondly, I recommend Jeanne D'Arc and Hexyz Force. And I'll be a deviant and also recommend Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 2, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force are both on Sale right now, so if you're interested, they certainly won't break your bank if you get them today.

On sale where?
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »

Your funeral.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »

Your funeral.

Because he'll die befor ehe finishes all the awesome games on the system?  If that's what you meant, I fully agree!

And I'll second the Ys games and Half-Minute Hero.  Those games cannot be missed.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

I'd recommend Gurumin: A monstrous adventure (also made by Falcom who do the Ys series), Half Minute Hero, ZHP, Riviera, Yggdra union, and Knights in the Nightmare.

BTW, if you buy Knights in the Nightmare now it comes with a download code for a free copy of Yggdra Union.  I got that and all I've been playing is Yddgra Union...haven't even gotten around to Knights yet.  From what I understand the entire first print run is supposed to have the code but if they print more later it will not include it.  It came out pretty recently so you should still be good for now.

Also, Ys Seven is great.  Can't recommend it enough.

I honestly didn't like the PSP Lunar very much.  Looks pretty, but it's very slow paced.  Long (and frequent) load times, painfully slow unskippable attack animations, etc.  It's a pretty easy and simplistic game too, so I found myself having to multitask when I played it or else I would just get bored.  In battle I would literally cue my commands, put the PSP down, and do something else while I waited for it to be my turn again.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »

On sale where?

Oh, on sale on the Playstation Store, available right from your own PSP.=)

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Goli

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:03 AM »

I have the limited edition Ys Seven but only the normal Oath in Felghana.  Seven limited edition is +$20 price retail and has soundtrack CD, artbook (with art for seven, felghana, and chronicles), and a cloth map.  Felghana limited edition is +$10 with soundtrack and a calender with Ys artwork. 

I'd recommend Gurumin: A monstrous adventure (also made by Falcom who do the Ys series), Half Minute Hero, ZHP, Riviera, Yggdra union, and Knights in the Nightmare.  I don't have the last 3 on psp but I know they are great games since I've played the GBA/DS versions.
Umm... sorry for being such a grammar nazi but it's "calendar", not "calender". :>

If you have an iOS device you might want to get FFi & II on them since they're only $8.99 each. Also, personally I didn't like Hexyz Force very much. It was too average...I only played Cecillia's story though, I couldn't bear playing more of the same but with another character :/.
Finally, while not strictly an RPG, get Dissidia ASAP.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:37 AM »

I think you will find it is actually spelt "Clender"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUT39op2Pp8

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »

The PSP versions of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II are both under $10 each, too, just so you know.

Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »

The PSP versions of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II are both under $10 each, too, just so you know.

Wow...$10 each...are they any good though?

Also, are there any other "limited edition" rpg games for the psp that are worth getting? I ordered lunar and am considering the two Ys games but I'm thinking beyond those. Love the soundtracks that get packaged as a bonus.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:38:17 PM by Anime & RPGl and » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »

Wow...$10 each...are they any good though?

Depends on what you're looking for. FF1 is pretty dated and straight forward, but if you go in expecting the updated version of the game that essentially started it all, it's pretty enjoyable. The only problem with it is that it lacks a story and its pretty easy, but the extra dungeons are much harder, and the game still has charm despite the lack of a storyline. Really, it's great if you love RPGs and want to see where it all began without having to grind for hours. Personally, I don't care for it, but then again, it's not really what I look for when I play an RPG. I prefer something more complex and grindy.

FF2 is kinda different. It's less straight forward, requires more exploration, requires you to think and pay attention more, and has a unique level-up system that you will love or hate depending on how you view it. The game is also more challenging than FF1. I personally love it since its everything I want from an RPG: Exploration, challenge, active thinking and note taking in order to get to where I need to be, and lots of grinding to make my characters exactly as I want them to be. It's still a flawed game, particularly with the leveling system, which despite their best efforts is still far from perfect,  the story is still barely there, and I found it easy to get lost, but then again, I got lost in FFX, so take that for what you will. However, if you take it for what it is, I think you could enjoy it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: