Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 07:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331456 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy: Case Zero - The Heroes of Zardoz Marathon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy: Case Zero - The Heroes of Zardoz Marathon  (Read 4603 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »

Yeah and even used copies of FFVI for the GBA are a little pricey. I might try to track it down as the only version I played was on the PSOne and I remember the load times really ruining the experience for me.

Right now I'm still playing DQIX and I think I'm right at the end. However, I still all this extra shit to do, like max out some vocations, go crazy making alchemical stuff, and exploring some grottos.

Woah nice tip on the load times.

How bad can that be though? I mean I pretty much have to get that anthology for V anyway, right?

For 16 bit graphics?  They're ridiculously long.  Loading an SNES system should be peanuts for a properly emulated game, and especially since it was on a console up in the generation chain.  Worst of all, is the original SNES "loaded" in no time at all anyways.

You can definitely lose heart with that.  It got pretty bad cumulatively. 
FF8/Chrono Cross was a pretty bad offenders for that as well when it came to battle loading (they swamp you with pretty pans of the battle field, then smooth transitions, etc.)

Yikes... thanks for the tips. It looks like most of the games I'll play on PSP or DS.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »

From what I remember, there was a like a two second load time to access the menu on FFVI for the PSOne. That might be an exageration, but menus should near-instantaneously, espcially because they were in the original SNES version, as Dice pointed out. It was just very frustrating.

I went out today looking to snag a copy of FFVI GBA at some Gamestop but I got sick of dealing with the lines so I just went home instead. Whenever you guys get to FFVI, I'll try to make sure I've snagged a copy by then so I can get in on the action.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

Well I'm probably going to do an all handheld marathon here I think.

I,II on PSP but I'll probably get the component cord
III and IV on DS
V will probably be the only one on psx since there isn't another release
VI on gba/ds

Does anyone know if you can install psx games onto the ps3 to cut down load times?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »

Well I'm probably going to do an all handheld marathon here I think.

I,II on PSP but I'll probably get the component cord
III and IV on DS
V will probably be the only one on psx since there isn't another release
VI on gba/ds

Does anyone know if you can install psx games onto the ps3 to cut down load times?

Final Fantasy V Advance on the Gameboy Advance, which was released on all regions, is available. Hell, I'll mail you my copy if you really can't find it/it's mucho expensive.

Speaking of which, I'll be ordering FF6 Advance once I have the cash to burn.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »

I just remembered I have Dawn of Souls or whatever it's called (the GBA rerelease of I and II) in my closet at my parent's house. Maybe I'll grab that and a few other GBA games I never sold on my way home this Christmas.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »

I just remembered I have Dawn of Souls or whatever it's called (the GBA rerelease of I and II) in my closet at my parent's house. Maybe I'll grab that and a few other GBA games I never sold on my way home this Christmas.

FFI was really good in Dawn of Souls.  Didn't get far into II, but after playing 1, I needed time to cool down.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »

FFI was really good in Dawn of Souls.  Didn't get far into II, but after playing 1, I needed time to cool down.

I really enjoyed I when I played it, I don't know, five or six years ago. I didn't play II at all until this summer when I was considering getting back into gaming. It was pretty meh overall, and I put a decent amount of time into (~15 hours, I think). I liked that they tried to remove the level system, but I'm not convinced what they replaced it with was an improvement. I might dip in and out of this contest, playing I, IV, and VI.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »

I never cared for the Dawn of Souls version of FF1, the NES version is more my style. I'd even get the PSOne version if they'll ever finally rerelease it so I can have it without loadtimes. DoS had a great version of FF2, though.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 12:29:37 AM »

I'm working on a excel spreadsheet to keep track of various minutiae

I'll probably keep track of all sorts of dumb crap for the sake of science:
Pops drank
Snacks consumed
Tea drank
Deaths occurred
hours played
total experience
hmmm...

Times I saw that chick from Starmongoose's Halo painting...
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »

LO!

The beginning is nigh upon us, my friends of the four fiends

I have in my possession the 1st two games on PSP and shall begin my quest shortly. I'll be keeping track of minutia as I see fit.

This will not be a strict marathon per se but I shall be tackling the series in order up until game 6. If I still have my sanity I will be going from there and playing 7 and on.

There are no rules, but I'll play other things on other systems here and there.

Come back to this thread for hilarious recaps of games you've all played already. 
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »

Fuck it. I'm in, Yoda.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »

Day 1: Well, I picked my party's Jobs and named them. Meet:

Star: Monk
Hugh: White Mage
Dice: Red Mage
Yoda: Black Mage

I don't know how Hugh will feel about being the sissy white mage job, but I felt it would have been a bit sexist to make
Dice the White Mage. It's a shame the Thief class in this game is worse than awful, because I actually enjoy having thieves
in my party. Maybe it is because of Zidane from FF9, where stealing could net you some awesome treasure.

Anyway, the game begins talking about some prophecy mumbo-jumbo, I'm sure you guys will know what it says even without
playing the game. Planets elements weakening, warriors of light, crystals yada-yada. I start out immediately on the world map
infront of some large city. Apparently it's called Cornelia and some random woman in town informs me that it is the City of Dreams

Aww. Precious.

The music in this town is really nice and relaxing and - HOLY SHIT. I found the dash button, run little man, run! Haha, look at his little legs.
In the Inn there are a bunch of dwarfs who want to teach me about gameplay. I told them "What do I look like, a fucking amateur?" and then
ran out the door at a speed no normal human should be able to walk. There is also a small church, but all that lies inside
is a lone priest having a rave.

Spent 400 of the 500 gil I started out with in the magic shops.

Hugh got: Cure
          Dia
          Protect

Dice got: Fire
          Sleep

Yoda got: Fire
          Thunder

Now that I got all my magic sorted I should go get some equipment. Wow, weapons are super cheap. Gonna give Dice a Rapier and Yoda a Staff.
Hugh can keep his staff and I'm going to be fighting BARE HANDED bitches.Picked up a couple of Leather Armour's for me and Dice. I find it suspect that
the Item Shop is run by a Thief. What they hell! Potions cost more than all my weapons combined! That bastard really IS a thief.

Now that I'm all geared up, I go up to see the king. Apparently I already have the 4 crystals, which was weird because I thought my job would
be going off to collect them. Score! Half the game completed already.

So, turns out the King wants me to go rescue his daughter, the princess, Sarah. She got abducted by some knight. Funny thing though
the Knight's name is Garland, who is a bad guy from FF9 and also Sarah is Garnet's real name in FF9. Hey! Now that I think of it
Garnet also played a character called "Cornelia" in the play at the start of the game. Man, I'm on a role.

Pft, when I ran around looking for loot in the castle, I find that the treasure room is locked by some mystic key. What a jip. Turns out
some Elf King has it, I'm gonna kick his ass and take that key.

Well, as the castle guards have kindly informed me, Garland is hiding in the Chaos Shrine! Woo! Random battle. Man that is a lot of goblins.

*4246 Goblins Later*

Okay, I thought this was the Chaos Shrine, but apparently this is the Earthgift Shrine. At the end of the corridor is the petrified corpse of a demon
If I don't have to fight that thing later in the game, I'll eat my hat. Or CastNuri's hat. I don't have any hats and she has hats to spare.

*9999 Goblins later*

I am now at the REAL Chaos shrine. I kind of miss the Goblins. Now I have to contend with worms, zombies and wolves. At least Hugh got a chance to put Dia to some use.
Dice's Sleep spell has been surprisingly useful, compared to other Final Fantasy games. It took me a long time to find Garland, as he had chosen to hide in
the most dastardly place he could. THE FIRST ROOM YOU SEE AS YOU ENTER THE DUNGEON. Oh well, BOSS FIGHT!

*Victory Tune Plays*

Success! I was actually expecting him to be one of those fights where the story dictates that you lose on purpose, but aparrently not. Finest Swordsman in the land, my ass!
With that, I save the Princess and we go back to Cornelia Where the King rewards us handsomely and we all live happily ever after.

GAME OVER

Kidding, the King merely says that we have proven we are the 4 Warriors of Light and commissions* us to restore the light to the 4 crystals.

*I say commission, he actually gives us sweet fuck all for saving his daughter. Ungrateful bastard.

Well, this seems like a good place to wrap up!

Join me next time, where I will be crossing a bridge. Exciting stuff.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »

Star = Fighter, Yoda
Monk, Chips (a buddy of mine)
White Mage, Karin (my +1)
Black Mage, Bart (our dumb male cat who's stupid and blind and is terrified of me unless I'm sitting on the couch)

I won't be using any walkthrough guides.

And I actually started playing yesterday but didn't start a thread.

It's a fast fucking game. But at one point I had 9 one-step random encounters.

I got to the earth gift shrine and got killed because two of my dudes got turned to stone and i didn't have any gold needles. Well I had to reboot an earlier save and hit up every town to find one.

I proceeded to buy up like 10 of them.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »

FF1 NES: I have a Fighter, a Thief, a Red Mage and a Black Mage. I'm in the Marsh Cave getting my but kicked. Need to consilt a guide.

FF2 PSP: I'm in a town where no one wants to talk to me. I have no clue what to do. Need to consult a guide.

FF3 NES: I just killed off a rat, scared away a seaserpent, and now I don't know where to go next. Need to consult a guide.

FF4: Just got attacked by The Leviathan, and now my party's been scattered. I need to talk to someone to figure out where to go next, but I'll probably consult a guide.

FF5: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do need to consult a guide (or ask around)

FF6: at the point where I choose between 3 scenarios. I did one, now I need to choose another. Only one where I'm not horrifically lost actually.=P

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: