Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 07:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327140 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The State of NFL video games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The State of NFL video games  (Read 1325 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:06:35 PM »

IGN feature.

Thoughts? I don't care for the Madden games, but given the deal reading this was of interest to me. This shows, possibly more than anything EA's done before, just how afraid of risk they truly are.

Edit: Actually, I should note that it could be worse as for their fear of risk goes - but this shows just how safe they have to feel before attempting something new.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:57:26 PM »

Essentially, the possibilities are endless, from an NFL kids game to an Xbox Live football trivia game to an NFL cheerleader dancing game -- football experiences that we have never seen before.

This sounds fantastic! Let's completely kill off the competition and then release a shitty "trivia" game, a cheerleader dancing game (which actually may tap into an untouched female market) that guys will only get to look at the digital tits, and then completely copy the Backyard sports games for kids. Not to mention that impressively "innovative" title, NFL Head Coach!

Whoo!

But in the next three years, football fans will be able to play five, maybe six -- maybe more -- types of NFL-licensed videogames in total, games that would not have been developed without the NFL agreement. At the very least, EA has demonstrated a commitment to expanding on the NFL license when it very well could have updated rosters and sold millions of copies to disgruntled gamers. If there has to be an exclusive deal, then as football fans, that commitment is all we can ask for.

You know, there are some of us who don't care for all the nonsense and want to play a football video game. Plain and simple. Sure, being immersive with the playbooks and real quarterback voices and stuff is pretty cool, but the last Madden game did a pretty good job of that while being a complete piece of shit to play.

I liked the NFL 2K series when I played the first one on Dreamcast years ago, and NFL 2K5 kicked the shit out of Madden '05 as far as gameplay was concerned, and now they just killed it. Sure we'll be getting some new things from the deal, but I think Madden '06 will be pretty crappy despite the fact it has "real quarterback voices" and "rendered faces."

All I have to say is: Stop all the bullshit and get back to the basics. Cinematic football games are neat, then you throw them away. Good football games are the ones you'll be playing for years after it was released when the roster is "no longer up to date."

I just want Tecmo Bowl back!
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:22:41 AM »

NFL2k5 is the best football game I have played, I have never liked Madden, the gameplay never felt right, always very herky-jerky to me.

To be honest the last EA football game I really had fun with were the old Mutant League games.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:20:29 PM »

i still play nfl 2k5 to this day i just wish i could get more updated rosters for it. id rather play tecmo bowl on the nes than a madden game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: