Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "I hated it at first, but then I grew to love it."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "I hated it at first, but then I grew to love it."  (Read 2591 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »

We've all had games, movies, music, comics, etc. where we didn't like them at first, but then somehow they grew on us and we later loved them and/or realized their brilliance and awesomeness.  

For example, a lot of people I've talked to did not enjoy Tool's Lateralus album at first, but after some time (perhaps spent away from it) they gave it another listen... then another, and soon the seas parted and they realized, "Holy feck, this album's farking brilliant!"  

So what are some games, movies, music, comics, etc. where you didn't enjoy them at all at first, but then later on down the road, something in your brain made you give it another chance and then it just really grew on you and you loved it?  There's a saying that if you don't like a band's album the first time you listen to it, then the band's done something wrong.  Is there truth to that, about media needing to be challenging at first?  

Here are a few of mine:

The first time I played FF7, I didn't enjoy it at all.  I was too discombobulated by it.  But later on down the road, I put that aside, put aside my feelings about the fanboy fanbase, and played the game.  I think it's fantastic and I recognize its merit and moments of brilliance.  

Septerra Core is another game like that.  I wanted to love it, but I was initially discombobulated by the interface (not being very used to PC games) and put off by the slow combat.  Revisiting it a second time didn't help too much.  I'm revisiting it now as a more experienced RPG player and despite its flaws, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I think it's a very good and vastly underrated game.  

Revelations: Persona is a huge example.  I liked the atmosphere and concept, but it was discombobulating and began really slowly.  I almost traded it in for Star Ocean 2, but while waiting for my next paycheck, I decided to revisit Persona.  Once I got past the 10 hour mark, the game totally opened up for me and I thought it was brilliant.  I've beaten it 3-4 times since then and was one of the earliest and most vocal SMT/Persona fans on these forums.  Go figure, huh?  My favorite RPG series needed to grow on me.

The first time I listened to Slayer's Reign in Blood, I was scared out of my wits.  I was cowering in a corner almost crying for my mommy.  But then two days later, something in my brain told me to listen to it again.  Face my fear, I guess.  And I fell in love with the album and more extreme forms of metal.  These days, I'd say my favorite form of music is technical brutal death metal like Gorguts.  Kyuss' And the CIrcus Leaves Town album was my first Kyuss album and I thought it was rather boring at first, but upon revisiting it years later, I thought the album was brilliant, I started listening to Kyuss' other albums, and they're one of my favorite bands now.  

There was a time I used to dislike Tolkien-esque fantasy writing, finding the extensive worldbuilding really boring.  But nowadays, I love the detailed worldbuilding and that level of reading more dense than, say, Harry Potter.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Harry Potter as that got me back into reading (kinda like how FF7 got me into RPGs), but the Tolkien-esque density I once disliked I 've now grown to enjoy.  

EDIT: And I don't necessarily think media absolutely needs to be challenging to be brilliant and/or enduring.  For example, I loved Weezer's blue album from the first moment I heard it and I still think it is one of the finest rock albums of all time.  Nay, one of the finest albums of all time, period.  That's one of the few albums where I can't just cherry pick tracks from to listen to.  I always have to listen to it in its entirety. 

And in terms of games, many of the games I've given Editor's Choice to: Ever17, Hourglass of Summer, and Anachronox, I loved from the get-go and do my best to revisit every year. 

And with books, I tore through Motley Crue's The Dirt the first time I read it.  Loved it from the get-go and try to revisit it every summer. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:50:30 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »

I thought this thread was about something else based on thread title.

Right off the top of my head for movies is Big Lebowski. First time I saw that I didn't care for it at all.

At least 50 viewings later and it's basically Gospel for me. Watching that sober, drunk, or ....... and it seems like I pick up another detail each time.

Games: Fallout 3. I got it cheap in 09 hot off the heals of a month or so of doing nothing but playing Oblivion. Right off the bat I dug the art style of the game. But as soon as I got off the vault I couldn't get into any of the quests. I was getting assfucked by mirelurks, and had shitty ammo and shitty weapons. I probably also had a shitty character. Well about a month ago I popped it back in and got hooked. Luckily I still had the autosave from when you leave the vault and can tinker the character. I made some adjustments and set out. One of the most enjoyable RPG experiences I have ever had.

I too didn't know what to think of Lateralus 1st few listens...now it's in my top 10 and I don't know what to make of 10,000 Days :)
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:16:59 PM »

I'd say Final Fantasy XIII is probably the most current example I can think of. I was extremely disappointed at first but now I like it well enough. As far as music goes I couldn't stand Dir en grey's VULGAR album but after listening to it a few times it's really grown on me. It's the only album of theirs that I don't find myself with the urge to skip a track.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:18:43 PM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »

Um, I usually get this with music more than anything.  Too many to name, they just oddly suck at first, then really come around - and I love em for a long long time.

A few things I remember at the moment...
Pulp Fiction, oddly enough.  I felt it was too slow and too long.  Now I've watched it god knows how many times.

Nier.  Maybe it's the slow start, but I remember asking "oh no, what did I just buy?".  Loved it by the end.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:57:45 PM »

Music is all or nothing in the sense that if I like the band, I like the band.  These are what took time.

Music:  HIM, Scars on Broadway, Slipknot (especially)

Games: World of Warcraft

I didn't like apathy at first, but now I love it.  *smashes monitor*

I should put more thought into this before I post, but I feel that I've already put too much in to simply delete this post.  That's what I love about apathy. 

Movies:  Twilight

Work: Every Job

Alcohol: In General

RPGFan: Yup...

*snorts monitor*

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

I didn't dig Persona 2 at all when I first bought it.  I hated that fucking battle system with a passion.  I put a few hours into it and shelved it pretty quickly.  When I gave it a chance again a few years later, I...still hated the battle system. :P  I was able to look past that and notice some of its better qualities.  While I still have never beaten it (or really even come close), I don't consider it a waste of funds anymore.  I save that feeling for that first-person piece of shit that came before it. :P

Breath of Fire:  Dragon Quarter was another game that I didn't care for at all.  I saw absolutely no redeeming value in it.  I hated slogging through endless identical corridors and I absolutely loathed the D-Counter.  I don't know what it is, but any game that imposes a time limit on me quickly makes me lose interest.  Then I tried it again several years later, and that shit instantly clicked.  I can't even tell you what changed; it's like I had to fucking grow up and appreciate it through more mature eyes or something.  I'm glad I played it all the way through.  While it will always be the black sheep of the series to me, I can definitely say that it's one of my favorites.

As far as music goes...well, I think I'd break my fucking keyboard typing out all the bands I love now that I used to hate. :P  The main one is Therion.  Man, I can barely believe there was a time I didn't worship Therion, Jesus.

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

Typically I'm the other way around.  I'm very easily wowed and first time viewings/play-throughs/listens are usually big experiences that I tell everybody about.  But on the third and fourth sometimes I begin to see the imperfections and oversights.  Or sometimes I just get bitter.  I used to absolutely love the movie "300" and now it seems kinda stale.  "Alien" was a great, great movie (my favorite in the franchise and possibly in the genre) and now I really have trouble taking some of the costume effects seriously.  (I will literally laugh at something I was so horrified by in the past.)

Stairway to Heaven was one of the rare "hate then love" songs for me.  At first I couldn't see what all the buzz was about and later, well, I became a champion of it.

I do need to watch Toy Story 3 again.  I felt it kinda dragged toward the end.  Maybe it'll be easier on the second viewing if I know I'm in for a tearjerker ending.
Fallout 3 might be more fun with a better computer.  Thought part of what turned me off was a big spoiler.  At least that was only in the main game, maybe the expansions will have unspoiled juiciness for me to uncover.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »

I hated Yoda at first  [/Dice]

How about food? When I was a kid and a teen I hated everything. Now I'll try anything at least once and I love all cuisines. Lately the spicier and the healthier the better.

I'm also starting to enjoy just a nice fucking glass of whiskey. A nice single malt scotch or a damn good bourbon. Fuckin like hell, heh.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »

Shadow Hearts. I played it around the same time I was playing an FF game with my sis, and at the time the graphics and lack of voice-acting kind of put me off. But I kept at it 'cause I didn't have much else to do (plus I had begrudgingly admitted to enjoying the battle ring) and after a few weeks, I really started to love the game.

I pretty much hated literature much until I took a literature class when I was sixteen. It taught me how to read, absorb and really appreciate. I grew to love it so much that I very nearly chose to read English Literature at University.

Also, cauliflower. Used to hate it and now I love it. Probably an age thing though. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »

Right off the top of my head for movies is Big Lebowski. First time I saw that I didn't care for it at all.

At least 50 viewings later and it's basically Gospel for me. Watching that sober, drunk, or ....... and it seems like I pick up another detail each time.

The Big Lebowski is very disorienting the first time you watch, regardless of your mental state. The scenes don't seem to progress in any logical order. Watch it a second or third time however, and you realize just how well put-together the film is and that Cohen brothers are geniuses.

Here's two fun facts about this film: it was a book first, written by one of the Cohen brothers when he was in college. Also, it's based loosely on the Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler, a hard-boiled detective novel notoriious for its compelling scenes even if the story itself was hard to put together.

Books: Tender Buttons by Gertrude Stein was the worst piece of shit I had ever read the first time I encountered it. Then it was frustrating, because I knew she was doing something but each time I read it, it was like word soup that didn't taste like anything. For some reason, this book just exploded for me on my third or fourth reading and, while I definitely don't grasp the entirety of it, this work solidified Gertrude Stein as one of the three authors I plan on reading in their entirety. The other two are Samuel Beckett and John Ashbery.

Music: Animal Collective. I downloaded Strawberry Jam a few years ago and hit play. Fifteen seconds later I hit stop. A day or so later, I thought, maybe I should at least try and make it through the first song. Much to the ire of my girlfriend and others, they became one of my all-time favorite bands. I think my girlfriend just came around sometime this year when were driving across the country.

Comics: The Watchmen. I didn't hate this comic, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. My biggest complaint then was that each issue was too dense and I still feel this way, though I've come to appreciate it now. I tend to go to comics as a break from more dense material. That's not to say I always want to see Green Lantern punching Sinestro with a giant green boxing glove, but I'm also not interested in reading the graphic equivalent of Ulysses.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »

With food, my palate changed incredibly ever since I started getting healthy.  Bear in mind, I was 240 pounds back in 2008 (I'm in the 155 ballpark now, though I think I'm gaining some weight in muscle) but once I started cycling seriously and hitting the gym often, my body started craving healthy food and shunning bad food.  I used to love fried chicken and now even the thought of it makes me gag.  On the other hand, I used to hate broccoli, but now I completely devour it.  

There was a time I'd eat anything meat and nothing veggie.  Nowadays, I'll try anything veggie but am more stringent with my meat choices.  I'm even going to attempt going vegetarian for the month of January to see how I feel.  Maybe I'll make that a permanent change.  After all, being Indian, I come from a long ancestral bloodline of vegetarians so I'll probably fare better since I don't have the genetics to properly digest animal protein.  

Denis Leary says that not eating meat is a choice, but that eating meat is an instinct.  Not if you're Indian.  We're the anomaly to everything in this world:P

Speaking of animal proteins, turkey is a lean meat I used to not like, but now I rather like it.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »

Resonance of Fate. Absolutely hated the battle system for a good while.
Nevermore awesome guitar riffs and solos but could not stand the vocals. I should also mention Dream Theatre for the same reason.
Death metal
Black metal
Electric dance music and its 50 billion different sub genres
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 10:57:17 PM »

I hated Baten Kaitos at first. Then the second time through, I enjoyed it, except for the God damn voice acting.

I hated Dragon Ball Z. Then I loved it. Now I don't care about it.

I used to hate the Gundam series. SEED and SEED Destiny were alright at best, then I watched Victory Gundam and fell in love with the series.

I used to hate the music in anime. Then I grew to love it. Found many of my favorite Jpop artists/bands through anime.

Reading. Then I graduated high school and didn't have to read books that the teacher wanted me to.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »

Typically I'm the other way around.  I'm very easily wowed and first time viewings/play-throughs/listens are usually big experiences that I tell everybody about.  But on the third and fourth sometimes I begin to see the imperfections and oversights.  Or sometimes I just get bitter

I'm the same. For example, I never thought really highly of FFVII: Advent Children, but I thought it was okay. I'd never expected much from it, and when I first saw it I remember finding some redeemable parts that salvaged the movie as a whole for me. This past summer I watched it again for the first time in I don't know how long and I was stunned at how awful it was. Even the bits and pieces I once thought redeemed the movie for me seemed like trash. Oh well.

One instance I can think of where something had to grow on me was Less than Jake's album In with the Out Crowd. I hated it at first because it didn't have the explosiveness, the immediacy, and the downright fun of their previous albums. Two years later I was going through my CD collection and decided to give it another try and I fell in love with it. I wondered what on earth I was thinking when I thought I didn't like it.

Can't think of any video games that disappointed or enthralled me after letting them age a while. I'm usually pretty sure of what I'm getting into when I make a purchase, and if I'm not sure I read reviews, watch videos, and rent to make a final decision.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 12:07:43 AM »

The first thing that pops into my head is the band AFI. I hated them at first. I remember seeing the Girls Not Grey video when I was teenager and thinking "Who is this dude that looks like a girl? I hate this band." Fast forward to 2009 and their latest album Crash Love comes out. My girlfriend is a huge AFI fan, so I was interested. What is so good about this band? I listen to Crash Love and oddly I love it first listen, even though I wanted to hate it. I go back to Sing The Sorrow and I listen to it and hey, this isn't half bad, in fact it's a brilliantly put together concept album.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: