Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:55:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "I hated it at first, but then I grew to love it."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: "I hated it at first, but then I grew to love it."  (Read 2582 times)
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 12:09:48 AM »

Ooo good one =D

Ironically enough I couldn't stand RPGs when I was a kid, I was a little graphics whore and the top down perspective and small characters looked unappealing to me. 

Around 13 or so I hated Punk Rock, I thought it was cheap and talentless crap.  Around 14 it changed my life =D

More recent-ish - Country music, not the crap on the radio, I still think that's an abomination.  I'm talkin' about some old school Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (Sr., not the Monday Night Football guy), Buck Owens.  Similar to punk really, simple songs, maximum expression.

I guess these are more things that I never bothered to give a them a shot but when I did, I found awesomeness.  Other than that, I'm pretty consistant and stubborn in regards to things I can't stand =D

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »

Music - when I was younger, everything I listened to had to be "heavy". Anything not by real instruments was awful and I refused to listen to it.

Then when the PS1 came out, I started listening to the music in Need For Speed High Stakes, Rollcage and the Wipeout games.
I finally started to appreciate electronic music.
I love it now.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »

Games that actually do start out sort of badly:

1. Deus Ex - Okay as awesome as Deus Ex is, liberty island sucks.
2. Arx Fatalis - Takes like two hours to pick up. Awesome once it does, but...

Games that are initial confusing:
1. Gothic 2 - The controls actually make a lot of sense only not until you figure them out.

Games something fuuuuafduafd:
1. Things that aren't RPGs. When I was yongler I'd only play RPGs but now I mostly don't actually play games because I am boring as hell but when I do half the time it's like, Serious Sam.

Music:
Augie March - Strange Bird
Built to Spill - There's Nothing Wrong With Love
Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld (this grew on me way faster than the previous two).
The Annuals - Be He Me (Never really hated it just had bad memories associated with it predominately stemming from endless fucking ear infection)

Anime:
Bleach. Sort of. I still think it's retarded and has horrible art but for some reason I enjoy watching it.

To be perfectly honest I mostly have every game I used to like when I was a teenager now so I mean I could come up with several examples of games I initially hated, then liked, but hated again, or games I initially loved but now hate, but not a lot of hated it, now I like it.

Also to be even more perfectly honest I can pretty much make myself have any opinion I want to. It's sort of stupid. I kind of quit taking myself seriously when I realized that my personality and thoughts are completely malleable in that sense and that whether or like I dislike something is really just how much or how little I want to.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »

Also to be even more perfectly honest I can pretty much make myself have any opinion I want to. It's sort of stupid. I kind of quit taking myself seriously when I realized that my personality and thoughts are completely malleable in that sense and that whether or like I dislike something is really just how much or how little I want to.

I kinda agree with this. It's much easier to like something when you want to like it. I'm pretty sure that's my attitude towards music because I feel like I could enjoy just about anything if I sit down and listen to it while wanting to enjoy it. Maybe it won't happen instantaneously but given a few tries, it could probably work. Not taking into account chalkboard screeching.

My only problem is the colour pink, which I tried for about a decade not to like but failed spectacularly in recent years. On the inside I guess I'm still a six year-old with princess issues.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »

The first thing that pops into my head is the band AFI. I hated them at first. I remember seeing the Girls Not Grey video when I was teenager and thinking "Who is this dude that looks like a girl? I hate this band." Fast forward to 2009 and their latest album Crash Love comes out. My girlfriend is a huge AFI fan, so I was interested. What is so good about this band? I listen to Crash Love and oddly I love it first listen, even though I wanted to hate it. I go back to Sing The Sorrow and I listen to it and hey, this isn't half bad, in fact it's a brilliantly put together concept album.

AFI used to be heaviest punk band out there.  They definitely got worse with time.  I have pictures of me in AFI shirts when I was a teen, and now I can't show them to anybody, because they are something completely different now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qzLUsR2T8g

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »

I liked Answer That and Stay Fashionable. Everything else was pretty meh IMO.

And I didn't even consider food. A few years ago I went vegetarian and it really forced me to retry foods I didn't particularly like, namely half of the vegetable kingdom. I'm not a vegetarian anymore (though I'm considering going back), but I don't ever cook meat. However, if I go to a restaurant, I'll usually get something with meat in it.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »

This might get me murdered...but Arrested Development. My buddy had me watch an episode once and I didn't get what all the hype was about. In my defense it was a random episode and that's a show you sort of need to from the beginning. Not because the story is complicated but you won't get any of the references.

Well he tried to get me into it while it was on the air and I couldn't. Well years after it got cancelled I gave it a shot and by now I've seen each episode 3 or 4 times.

Ooo good one =D

Ironically enough I couldn't stand RPGs when I was a kid, I was a little graphics whore and the top down perspective and small characters looked unappealing to me. 

Around 13 or so I hated Punk Rock, I thought it was cheap and talentless crap.  Around 14 it changed my life =D

More recent-ish - Country music, not the crap on the radio, I still think that's an abomination.  I'm talkin' about some old school Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (Sr., not the Monday Night Football guy), Buck Owens.  Similar to punk really, simple songs, maximum expression.

I guess these are more things that I never bothered to give a them a shot but when I did, I found awesomeness.  Other than that, I'm pretty consistant and stubborn in regards to things I can't stand =D

I'm with you there. Old country has been growing on me.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »

The first thing that pops into my head is the band AFI. I hated them at first. I remember seeing the Girls Not Grey video when I was teenager and thinking "Who is this dude that looks like a girl? I hate this band." Fast forward to 2009 and their latest album Crash Love comes out. My girlfriend is a huge AFI fan, so I was interested. What is so good about this band? I listen to Crash Love and oddly I love it first listen, even though I wanted to hate it. I go back to Sing The Sorrow and I listen to it and hey, this isn't half bad, in fact it's a brilliantly put together concept album.

AFI used to be heaviest punk band out there.  They definitely got worse with time.  I have pictures of me in AFI shirts when I was a teen, and now I can't show them to anybody, because they are something completely different now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qzLUsR2T8g

Haha! I remember thinking the same thing. I thought AFI was great when they were just being funny but hardcore punks, and when they started moving toward horror-punk like the Misfits I was weirded out. Regardless, I found myself adoring the All's Hallow EP, not caring much for Black Sails in the Sunset, and hating the Art of Drowning aside from "Days of the Phoenix." I liked "Girl's not Grey" when it came out, but wasn't really interested in Sing the Sorrow until I heard "Paper Airplanes" a few years later and decided to check the rest of it out. I actually ended up really liking most of the songs. Funny that I passionately loathe decemberunderground after giving the band another shot, but I can say Crash Love is a really good album even if it isn't my favorite by any means.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »

Fallout 3 was despised by the Fallout 2 fans and for good reason.However I gave it a chance and its a good game in my opinion.Its not a good Fallout game but its a good game.

Guitar Hero 2 also won me over eventually.

Rock band had the same down and up story.

Annnnd the PS3.I thought the only games were Uncharted and MGS4.Then Valkyria Chronicles came along and changed my view on the PS3

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »

Easy all encompassing one: wRPGs

The big one for me was Mass Effect. I really loathed it the first time I played it. I picked a bad character type, and it was my first wRPG. I generally found it as a overly-contrasty Star Wars knock off. And while I still think that BioWare should once-again try its hand at creating a totally new IP that doesn't feel strongly influenced from some other narrative work, the ME has definitely grown on me. I played ME again, and had a much better time with it. Then I played ME2 and was floored.

Fallout 3: one of my favorite games of the generation. Initially, I was put off by the steep difficulty curve, and really didn't know what to think of the strangely goofy post-apocalyptic style, but it really grew on me. NV has been fun, but has only gone to show me how brilliant F3 was.

Music.
Pain of Salvation: this is the example that I've always used. First album I got from there "1 Hour by the Concrete Lake", I hated. But it grew on me enough to get the rest of their material, and for 5 years straight, I happily called them my favorite band. Unfortunately, I picked up "BE" last year, and realized how far they had fallen. But the initial 4 albums were dynamite.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »

Easy all encompassing one: wRPGs

The big one for me was Mass Effect. I really loathed it the first time I played it. I picked a bad character type, and it was my first wRPG. I generally found it as a overly-contrasty Star Wars knock off. And while I still think that BioWare should once-again try its hand at creating a totally new IP that doesn't feel strongly influenced from some other narrative work, the ME has definitely grown on me. I played ME again, and had a much better time with it. Then I played ME2 and was floored.

Fallout 3: one of my favorite games of the generation. Initially, I was put off by the steep difficulty curve, and really didn't know what to think of the strangely goofy post-apocalyptic style, but it really grew on me. NV has been fun, but has only gone to show me how brilliant F3 was.

Music.
Pain of Salvation: this is the example that I've always used. First album I got from there "1 Hour by the Concrete Lake", I hated. But it grew on me enough to get the rest of their material, and for 5 years straight, I happily called them my favorite band. Unfortunately, I picked up "BE" last year, and realized how far they had fallen. But the initial 4 albums were dynamite.
Everything you said besides the music part was the same with me.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 06:03:23 AM »

games with complicated mechanics i tend to hate at first. like FFT and FFXII,dragon force etc.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Goli

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »

In games:
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. I randomly got it a bit after it launched when I went to a store looking for Sonic and the Secret Rings, I didn't find it and bought FFF:CD instead because I hate leaving empty-handed. At first I hated the whole Mysterious DUngeon thing, but now I love it <3.
Soul Calibur II. I suck at fighting games so why would I like it? *hours later* OMG this game is awesome. Me and my friend spent many noons playing that game with time and health set to infinite, thus the only way to win is by knocking your contender out of the stage.
Patapon. I'm not sure why but I really hated it at first. I hated how you had to equip individual things to each Patapon instead of having it equipped to the whole squad, but I got over that and learned to love it.
I've got more but I'm too lazy to list them all.
In music:
Perfume. When i stopped watching anime about 5 years ago (Kind of "grew out" of it) I also stopped listening to JPOP, one day I was browsing YT's music section and saw 不自然なガール's PV and hated hated hated it. 2 weeks later I saw it again and it clicked. Now I'm a huge Perfume fan!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »

I agree with Prime about Wrpgs. For the longest time Jrpgs were the shiznot, and that was it. Then I got my 360. I found ME a bit odd at first, but grew to love it. Throw in Fable II, Dragon Age, and the incredible ME II, and I'm totally sold. I have yet to play a FO game, however.

Food - I grew up extremely picky about what I eat, and still am to an extent. My wife has forced me to expand my horizons, and I thank her for it. I'm eating healthier, and with more variety, then I ever have before. We eat less meat, and tons more fruits and veggies.
Unfortunately(I think) her coffee habit is also rubbing off on me. I used to hate coffee. I drank tea, and that was it. Then she started bring home all these different flavors, and they smelled good, and, well...that was it. I still limit the amount I drink. But I enjoy it quite a bit.

Movies - I'm a movie nut, but for the life of me, I can't think of a single one that I hated, then loved. I can think of plenty the opposite way. There are all sorts of movies that I loved at first, then realized they were total crap later.

Music - I rarely give music a second chance. If it sucks the first time, I move on. I can only think of a few bands that I gave a second chance to. Disturbed is one that I didn't like at first. I saw them as just another generic fake rock band. Not until "Remember" came out did I take notice. Still, there were only a few good songs on the Believe album. I really became a fan When Indestructible came out. Great album with tons of great songs.
U2 didn't do anything for me for years, and I wondered what all the fuss was about. Now they have several songs(One, Where the streets have no name, Beautiful Day) on my list of "best songs ever". Too bad they've gone downhill the past few years.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »

The original Final Fantasy. Seriously, a wall between your characters and the enemies? Picking everything from a menu? Sounds seriously lame. I must have tried that game 5x and thought it was stupid, then a friend of mine explaned how to play it (I didn't even know the characters had to level up!) I was hooked from then on.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: