Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 11:03:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332959 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Is it worth Playing These Series in Order?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is it worth Playing These Series in Order?  (Read 2764 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »

Is it worth playing these series in order:

Assassin's Creed series

Sin & Punishment 1 & 2

No More Heroes 1 & 2

Odin Sphere and Muramasa

I kinda just wanna play the sequels first, but would I have any story or adjustment problems playing them out of order?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »

Odin Sphere and Muramasa aren't a series.

S&P aren't connected with each other at all, far as I can tell.

No More Heroes should probably be played in order, I haven't played the second but I hear there's some jokes in the second that reference the first.

Don't play Assassin's Creed.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »

Odin Sphere and Muramasa aren't a series.

S&P aren't connected with each other at all, far as I can tell.

No More Heroes should probably be played in order, I haven't played the second but I hear there's some jokes in the second that reference the first.

Don't play Assassin's Creed.

First one: Oh, right, forgot that. =P
Second: Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up
Third: Also didn't know that, I'll try to find a copy of NMH1. Thank you.
Fiurth: I threw that in last minute anyways.=P I'll probably grab Brotherhood for my brother since he said he liked it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »

I can vouch for what Gen said about Odin Sphere and Muramasa. Play either or both. I really like them either way, and as for NMH, I ultimately suggest playing the first game. 2nd game is standalone ish, but makes a few references and would appreciate the continuation of things a lot more. I did not play S&P2 yet, and did not play the AC series to say anything about them.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »

Yeah, NMH2 would probably work on it's own, but it's a bit "more" than NMH1 is, so you might not like NMH1 as much (for a first playthrough) afterwards.

Like when Penny Arcade says that $500 might as well be infinite money, the amount of ... stuff ... in NMH1 is already into that range...

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to get desensitized by NMH1, so that you can appreciate NMH2 being "more"

Did that make no sense?

*smashes monitor*

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »

Assassin's Creed: Don't bother with the first, but I imagine playing II before Brotherhood is a good idea.

No More Heroes: Probably a good idea to play in order.

Sin & Punishment: Probably not important, it's not like S&P1's story made much sense anyway.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »

Assassin's Creed: Don't bother with the first, but I imagine playing II before Brotherhood is a good idea

This. Just read online what happens to Desmond in AC1 and play regular AC2 first. Playing brotherhood first is possible but its a direct sequel to AC2 so I don't recommend it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »

Assassin's Creed II is the one I'm most interested in, so I'll play that before I play Brotherhood (but I'll still get Brotherhood first, since it's for my brother), thanks.

Anyways, thanks all, you helped me sort out that little issue. So I'll set aside No More Heroes 2 for now (unless I grab NMH1 tomorrow). I'm planning to play through all of my unfinished Wii games, so that was an important issue to clear up.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:15:33 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:08:03 AM »

As usual: when in doubt, look at what Gen Eric suggests, and do the exact opposite.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »

As usual: when in doubt, look at what Gen Eric suggests, and do the exact opposite.

True... true.

About Sin & Punishment, the games are related to each other but the connection is so thin that you don't really need to play the first one to play the sequel (the same happens with Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga). But if you can play both games, just do it.

Also, if you want more info of the series go to the hardcore gaming 101 wesite and read the article.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »

If you're suggesting that Odin Sphere and Muramasa are a series, I believe you are wrong sir.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »

He's probably referring to the Assassin's Creed thing.

I wouldn't listen to Prime Mover any more than I'd listen to Gen Eric Gui though, Gen at least has a fairly consistent opinion. Prime Mover tends to be a hypocrite.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 02:35:33 AM »

It's worth keeping in mind that while AC1 probably isn't bad when gotten for cheap (shouldn't be hard these days) if you want to get to the good part you'll want to skip it. Especially since the biggest issue people have is how damn tedious it gets.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

Assassin's Creed 2 is fun times. As is Brotherhood.

Sin & Punishment is a fun game, but the sequel improves on in significantly.

Could never get into NMH. Never bothered with the sequel.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »

It's worth keeping in mind that while AC1 probably isn't bad when gotten for cheap (shouldn't be hard these days) if you want to get to the good part you'll want to skip it. Especially since the biggest issue people have is how damn tedious it gets.

Yeah, that's why I never got Assassin's Creed 1. If its story is important to Assassin's Creed 2, I'll look it up, I don't think it's worth playing from the looks of it. I'll probably do the same with NMH1, too.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: