Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319074 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Is it worth Playing These Series in Order?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Is it worth Playing These Series in Order?  (Read 2619 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »

He's probably referring to the Assassin's Creed thing.

I'm aware.  I was being facetious.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

I'll probably do the same with NMH1, too.

That, on the other hand, would be a mistake. The improvement isn't as huge, and it has been debated which of the two is better. That, and it really is something you need to experience for yourself.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »

I'll probably do the same with NMH1, too.

That, on the other hand, would be a mistake. The improvement isn't as huge, and it has been debated which of the two is better. That, and it really is something you need to experience for yourself.

I'm afraid the gameplay doesn't really appeal to me. It seems like an interesting experiment, but everything I've read points to it being, well, not very fun, and I'm afraid gameplay is very important to me. Moreso than a few jokes and an interesting story, especially in an action game. I appreciate your sentiment, but unless the story is unfollowable, I think I'll stick to the game that removed the randomly placed jobs and the horrible, empty overworld sections.=P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »

Well, the thing is those aren't game crippling flaws. The overworld is more a means to an end, it isn't as interesting as a good GTA or similar sandbox game,b ut at the same time it removes the frustrations of, say, getting ambushed by enemies while going to a mission. And the Jobs, well, NMH2's are neater but I have more trouble with them actually, while NMH1's are usually only a few minutes long if that. You could probably also argue that for the sake of gameplay you could just go play something else entirely.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »

It's a Suda 51 game, so you have to remember that the bad gameplay elements were put there on purpose.  In this case, the empty overworld is a physical representation of Travis' disinterest in things that aren't immediately relevant to himself and his having fun, and the jobs are supposed to be boring for the same reason.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »

Well, I'll still stick to the plan, but if I finish the rest of my Wii games (I don't have much, but I'm a major procrastinator) before I get NMH1, I'm skipping ahead to 2 and just see if I can beat it alone. I still don't think I'd like NMH1, but I'm not about to write it off ust yet. Still, the fact that you can't retry a job right there when you fail really bugs the hell outta me. Plus, I never cared for the idea of sacrificing good gameplay for art, so I'm not about to excuse any niggles just because they were there on purpose. But if there's some fun to be had, I'll try my best to find and enjoy it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »

The jobs in NMH1 are only relevant for as long as their novelty lasts, in my opinion.  By the time they get tedious, you already have combat missions available, which are a lot more fun as well as rewarding.  I never went back to the jobs.

I also maxed out everything in NMH1, and didn't even find much TO max out in NMH2.  I defend the overworld, but not necessarily it's technical limitations.  Driving the bike was fun, because you can knock things over and drive really fast.  In NMH2 it was just one mission and got in the way, in my opinion.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 04:13:27 AM »

I'll chime in and say skip No More Heroes 2.

Biggest disappointment of the year for me. Loved the first, hated the second.

Also *play Muramasa*.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »

You know, I forgot to say something months ago! I tend to think I play games for the experience anymore. Maybe it's amazing in all regards! Maybe it has an amazing narrative aspect but weak gameplay! Or maybe it's just a lot of fun but not particularly special! I'm not going to sweat if the gameplay isn't the hottest if other aspects of the game can entertain me (see: NieR, Deadly Premonition, though it helps that both can easily be turned into cakewalks). In NMH1's case, it's a fun as hell game with amazingly ridiculous cutscenes saddled somewhat by an empty openworld and sidejobs, neither of which really get in the way of the whole thing because they're fairly easy to get through and a small part of the game, and if you want to grind for money it would be, yes, through the assassination missions.

I doubt any of that means much at this point unless he has yet to play either game, in which case he should keep it in mind.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »

Honestly...I'm not quite sure I could recommend anyone playing Muramasa. Sure it's a pretty game with a decent combat system; but it tends to get repetitive and the gameplay-to-story payoff ratio is very much on the bad side of things. Quite often I found myself wishing for more story in general, but in particular there's not enough character interaction and dialog to justify playing through it as long as the average player will.

It's like a parallel of Threads of Fate; only you're trading a better combat system and better graphics for less characterization (and vastly inferior Main Character x Main Character interaction) and a story about equally as silly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:43:13 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »

Assassin's Creed series

Ideally yes, but you could probably get by without playing the first one first. I played the second one without finishing the first. Though I hated both anyway.

Sin & Punishment 1 & 2

Nope. Play them in any order you want.

No More Heroes 1 & 2

Haven't played number 2. I can't be sure, but I bet it would help to play them in order.

Odin Sphere and Muramasa

Not related in any shape or form. You forgot GrimGrimoire (which is also unrelated.).

Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

Hmmm, I have no comment on Assassin's Creed.  Though I enjoyed Muramasa and Odin Sphere about as much and both are worth playing.  Haven't played much of NMHs....(not much help so far huh?)  But Sin and Punishment, the original at least, should also be played just to say you have!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: