Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Andrew and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4140 on: Today at 06:50:50 AM »
As long as he's enjoying the vocaloid doujin, that's all that matters.  I freely admit that I enjoy my fair share of fanservicey schlock. 

I think about my aunt who's a retired geriatric psychiatrist (who still does some consulting at her hospital).  Because her job was so mentally taxing and draining, she never wanted to read anything too cerebral.  She just wanted to let her brain relax.  Hence why her bookshelf has lots of trashy novels that you wouldn't expect a learned person to have. 

I don't claim that my job is as mentally taxing as that, but working in special education is psychologically draining in its own right.  It's like, if I'm already sore from weightlifting that day, the last thing I want to do is exercise that night.  So that's why I sometimes enjoy the more schlocky and less cerebral comics, manga, novels, games, anime, etc.
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: Today at 07:01:11 AM »

Huhthat is a rather impressive amount. How do you manage storage for that many volumes?

I have six large bookshelves that nearly reach the ceiling in the room I use as my office/study/personal library/whatever. Most of the Dutch and German editions are in double rows, though. ... And there are the stacks of books I'm currently reading/using for research/whatever. And about 150 books in boxes waiting to be donated to a library (they promised they'd pick them up, but it will likely take a while before they find an opportunity).

As long as he's enjoying the vocaloid doujin, that's all that matters.  I freely admit that I enjoy my fair share of fanservicey schlock. 

Hey, don't worry, I read dumb stuff too. The worst part of my collection is probably two shelves worth of Bleach volumes and I don't see myself getting rid of them anytime soon.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: Today at 10:55:27 AM »
Honestly, my relationship with anime/manga is very tenuous. I mostly just go for the silly, irreverent stuff if anything. Even then I try to avoid it because the fan base for that stuff is depressing. Like, I love "Is the Order a Rabbit?" for being cute and happy and silly and cheerful, but then you look at all the borderline loli-con merchandise out for it and I suddenly don't want to be a fan.

Anyway, this whole thing took a bit of a tangential turn, so whatev
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4143 on: Today at 11:43:51 AM »
That's something I've brought up in discussion countless times.  There are a lot of things we closet-like simply because we don't want to be associated with those fans.  And it's not uncommon for something we like to fall out of favor with us because of an unsufferable fanbase.

Yowamushi Pedal is one I'm at that conflicted place on.  See, I like the manga and anime because I'm an avid cyclist and I relate a lot to Onoda and Teshima.  I also know that there is a portion of the fanbase who, like me, are cycling enthusiasts as well.  However, most anywhere on the web, the only YowaPeda fans you seem to encounter are the legions of creepy yaoi fan-shippers.  I'd like to talk to the cycling enthusiast fans, but I'll bet they're too busy riding bicycles than going online, which is why all you find online about YowaPeda is Midousuji hentai and almost nothing about bicycles. 

K-On! as well.  I relate to it having played in gigging bands.  Some of the conversations/situations are ones I've had with Kryovax and/or Pool of Thorns (the Mio-Azusa convos in particular), and the Live House episode definitely hits home.  However the fanbase can be... yeah.  (Aside: I loved season 1 but couldn't get into season 2.)
« Last Edit: Today at 12:08:23 PM by Dincrest »
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: Today at 12:36:51 PM »
There are a lot of things we closet-like simply because we don't want to be associated with those fans.

well we're all gamers aren't we

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: Today at 06:33:47 PM »
I don't read much magna as I usually prefer the anime about 99% of the time. However the Planaetes magna was better than the anime. Plus its short and therefore affordable (4 volumes or 2 deluxe size).

Tsubasa Chronicles is also good.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4146 on: Today at 06:42:00 PM »
Although my exposure to the Pokemon manga is limited to some of the Free Comic Book Day stuff I've snagged over the years, I can safely say that it is better than the show.  It's not grimdark or anything, but it's not overly kiddie either.  I obviously love Pokemon, but I am in the camp of "Ash has got to go, give us a new hero."

I also remember reading some Yu-Gi-Oh manga in Shonen Jump years ago and enjoying it.  It was surprisingly gritty and violent.  Plus, the games that Yami Yugi would challenge "villains of the day" to had nothing to do with cards; they had creative variety and high stakes.  Like when he challenged a bully chef to air hockey on an okonomiyaki griddle where the puck gradually melts around a fuse that the last person to hit it would cause a massive explosion.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: Today at 06:45:49 PM »
I am in the camp of "Ash has got to go, give us a new hero."

Ash needs to go home and be a family man (with Serena).

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: Today at 07:24:22 PM »
at this point i can only assume the people who watch the show religiously would be satisfied with him going home and celebrating a birthday

I also remember reading some Yu-Gi-Oh manga in Shonen Jump years ago and enjoying it.  It was surprisingly gritty and violent.  Plus, the games that Yami Yugi would challenge "villains of the day" to had nothing to do with cards; they had creative variety and high stakes.  Like when he challenged a bully chef to air hockey on an okonomiyaki griddle where the puck gradually melts around a fuse that the last person to hit it would cause a massive explosion.

I just looked up Shonen Jump...didn't know it managed to last until 2012. I remember reading a bit of the Yugioh manga from it in high school, thinking how funny it was Yami Yugi was basically a murderous psychopath in the manga. The first game we see him play he drives a man insane. Don't think that would've gone over too well with American parents if it was on the show.

Unfortunately he stops being a total sociopath a few books in. Stupid character develop getting in the way of the fun.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: Today at 09:22:34 PM »
Although my exposure to the Pokemon manga is limited to some of the Free Comic Book Day stuff I've snagged over the years, I can safely say that it is better than the show.  It's not grimdark or anything, but it's not overly kiddie either.  I obviously love Pokemon, but I am in the camp of "Ash has got to go, give us a new hero."

The Pokémon Adventures manga is great. It honestly probably takes an arc or two before it really gets its feet, but even the early weak arcs are good. My favorite arc is probably Ruby/Sapphire. It does a great job of translating the events of the games, but doing something interesting with them. As a random example, while all the gym leaders are in the manga, not all the protagonists actually do a gym challenge (off the top of my head Red, Blue, Sapphire, Platinum, and Black are the only ones to do it in the volumes I have read which do not include XY or SM yet). I cannot recommend the series enough.

Regarding Yu-Gi-Oh, the story with that is that the manga was originally about games in general. At one point or another they introduced Duel Monsters when Yuhi was fighting Kaiba. I'm not sure of the exact series of events after this but either the readers or marketing department loved the idea and it slowly shifted to becoming the primary focus. There are several arcs in between though where Yugi is involved in other games (including a game of deadly laser tag). Oh yeah and Mokuba is a master of Dungeon Dice Monsters...and is also evil like his brother.

I just looked up Shonen Jump...didn't know it managed to last until 2012. I remember reading a bit of the Yugioh manga from it in high school, thinking how funny it was Yami Yugi was basically a murderous psychopath in the manga. The first game we see him play he drives a man insane. Don't think that would've gone over too well with American parents if it was on the show.

Unfortunately he stops being a total sociopath a few books in. Stupid character develop getting in the way of the fun.
Eh Shonen Jump is still ongoing. Unless you mean English Shonen Jump, in which case it technically is still ongoing, but is digital only now.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: Today at 10:36:06 PM »
However, most anywhere on the web, the only YowaPeda fans you seem to encounter are the legions of creepy yaoi fan-shippers.

You can replace "YowaPeda" here with basically any shounen sports manga/anime and it still holds true.  Though for what it's worth the sales demographics of these kind of series pretty clearly show that the yaoi fans are not the majority.  They're just...really loud.

There is something peculiar about yaoi fandom.  Of course non-canon shipping and fantasies are by no means unique to yaoi.  You see it everywhere.  But most people recognize that stuff for what it is.  Even if they indulge themselves in it a bit at the end of the day they can separate the fantasy from canon.  But yaoi fans...it's like they give their fantasies take priority over canon.

Of course it's all fiction--yes, even the canon--so you might ask what does that even matter.  The problem is when they start shoving it in your face and insisting that their fantasies are the One True Way.  Which is something you don't usually see in other fandoms...