Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 26, 2016, 10:57:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246529 Posts in 7383 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 531552 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3915 on: August 25, 2016, 03:47:21 AM »

I guess Chad's problem is that all he could ever do is punch stuff (and launch Rukia like a rocket). It's difficult to build a good fight around that without giving him constant power-ups. ... And even that wouldn't have been great, as the constant power-up thing is what Ichigo does and him hoarding powers got boring pretty fast. (That's why I like Uryu, his fights are more varied. He's not allergic to thinking and coming up with plans to take down his opponents. Okay, Kubo rarely lets him actually win, but still...)
I disagree, you can do some very interesting fights with punching. Kubo just isn't creative enough to pull it off. :p

And did Uryu ever win a fight? I know Chad constantly losing is the joke, but I don't think any of Ichigo's friends ever won fights unless we include his Soul Reaper friends...who won somewhat consistently unlike his human friends.

Hey, I said it was difficult, not impossible! Well, difficult for Kubo anyway, I guess, since he relies on power-ups so much...

Anyway, just like Chad, Uryu won fights against grunts, and he technically won his big fight in the Soul Society arc. Technically.

He's usually one of those characters that's nearly killed to show things are getting serious (and we should totally root for this other character that just stepped in to save the day).
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3916 on: August 25, 2016, 06:36:41 AM »

Hey, I said it was difficult, not impossible! Well, difficult for Kubo anyway, I guess, since he relies on power-ups so much...

Anyway, just like Chad, Uryu won fights against grunts, and he technically won his big fight in the Soul Society arc. Technically.

He's usually one of those characters that's nearly killed to show things are getting serious (and we should totally root for this other character that just stepped in to save the day).
I should have said won fights against consequential characters. :p And I disagree with him winning his Soul Society fight. At the end of the fight one of the combatants was getting out scott free and one of them was about to die had it not been for the intervention of a third party. Uryu was not the one to get off scott free. At best you could call it a draw.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3917 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:20 AM »

This is what's commonly referred to as 'The Worf Effect' or getting Worf'd. A common element of Star Trek: The Next Generation was when an alien pops up to menace the crew/away team, Worf, the combat minded Klingon, would always be the first to jump in to try to subdue the individual with the common result of his getting effortlessly pwn'd to show that martial strength was no longer an option on the table (unless they threw Data at the problem since he's a robot and thus on a higher powerlevel).

The big difference here is that Chad is in no way a 'Worf' outside of build, which is completely meaningless in Shonen anyways, and getting effortlessly pwn'd at the drop of a hat.

(It took me a while to even remember who the hell Uryu even was. Then I recalled that he was the first in Bleach's long congaline of former villains turned into allies useless/irrelevant hanger-onners.)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3918 on: August 25, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »

I should have said won fights against consequential characters. :p And I disagree with him winning his Soul Society fight. At the end of the fight one of the combatants was getting out scott free and one of them was about to die had it not been for the intervention of a third party. Uryu was not the one to get off scott free. At best you could call it a draw.

Hey, don't be so mean. It was not that bad. He did a lot more damage than Chad ever did (sorry, Chad) and he managed to keep Orihime save. 
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3919 on: August 25, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »

Hey, don't be so mean. It was not that bad. He did a lot more damage than Chad ever did (sorry, Chad) and he managed to keep Orihime save. 
Best you will get out of me is that Uryu got a draw since both him and the crazy scientist were out for the rest of the arc. And I will also admit that having a draw against a consequential opponent does give him one of the best records amongst Ichigo's friends (easily beating Chad, Orihime, and Ganju).Renji and Rukia both have at least one win (although I suppose one could argue about which if any of those were against consequential opponents).

Side note, I was thinking about it while I was working out today, and I felt like I should list off some good fights that had combatants that could only fight unarmed. So top fights would be Rock Lee vs. Gaara and Mighty Guy vs. Madara in Naruto. If you want to be technical they do use kicks (which Chad has never done as I recall), so for just punches I would say any Takeda fight from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi...I would not recommend that series for anything but the fights, but the fights are good (despite the shameless fan service in the series) and most Takeda fights are pretty great (and there were far too few of them).
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: