Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338397 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ensuring a "true" ending in P3P
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Ensuring a "true" ending in P3P  (Read 11535 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »

hey all,

I'm sure there are other P3 threads around, but I didn't feel like resurrecting one. I just have a simple question that I didn't want to take to gamefaqs. I figure the expertise lies here anyway.

Some quick background:

I'm REALLY behind on my SMT. I beat Persona as a kid (bad ending), then I recently played Persona Portable (SEBEC path, true ending). With the announcement of P2IS being remade, and the assumption that EP will also follow with, I thought I'd get up on my Persona love.

I'd played a bit of P3 before on PS2. But I didn't really get anywhere, so I'm starting over with P3P, playing female protagonist.

I don't know anything about the game's ending structure. Are there multiple endings? Which is the "best" ending, and what steps should I take to ensure I get it? Is this the sort of thing where I really ought to follow a step-by-step walkthrough (a la Valkyrie Profile)? Or is it just simple "be sure to do this, this, and don't do that" ??

Or is there just one simple ending...?

Also, since P3P doesn't come with the FES content, is it worth getting the PS2 version with FES to play that as well?

All feedback is appreciated. And once I'm done this game (hopefully before Christmas) I'll be on to P4.

Pat

PS - this is what happens when you review RPGs. You play a bunch that are put on your plate, and then you EVENTUALLY get to the backlog o' amazing.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »

I give you credit - I have trouble thinking about playing the game again to fight in the 200-something floors of the Tartarus. x(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »

No multiple endings. Well, technically there are two, at the end you're given a choice - it's an obvious Bad end/Good end thing.

FES consists mainly of nothing but dungeon crawling, with no persona compendium or social links or anything. So if you're into that stuff you can get it; the only thing it really offers story wise is a proper conclusion to the game and explanation of the ending.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »

No multiple endings. Well, technically there are two, at the end you're given a choice - it's an obvious Bad end/Good end thing.

FES consists mainly of nothing but dungeon crawling, with no persona compendium or social links or anything. So if you're into that stuff you can get it; the only thing it really offers story wise is a proper conclusion to the game and explanation of the ending.

I consider us fortunate to even SEE a "bonus edition" in the States... P3 must have done well here I guess.

For FES, i'd just follow a "Let's Play..." on YouTube.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »

Assuming the "Let's Play" is of the game and no of a loser smashing the game. :P

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »

Huh, kinda funny that FES is considered to give the game a "proper" conclusion. I thought P3 worked far better without the knowledge of FES's bonus dungeon. Personally it kinda ruined the story for me. :-/
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »

Huh, kinda funny that FES is considered to give the game a "proper" conclusion. I thought P3 worked far better without the knowledge of FES's bonus dungeon. Personally it kinda ruined the story for me. :-/

Well, yeah... not much changes.  A bit more explanation, and I think Yukari wanted to admit she wanted him sexually or something (my versions of things in life are askew+2).  Metis looked awesome.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »

Yeah, there's a proverb called "Adding feet while drawing a snake." FES's story stuff feel really extraneous and tacked on.

Dice, I'm plenty sure that in my game my main character wanted Yukari, too... sexually. Of course, he wanted all he girls sexually. He was a real bastard.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »

FES is boring and grindy... but hey, Aigis and Metis are so cute, I finished the whole thing because of them.
I also started liking Junpei in FES, while I just hated him the whole way in P3.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »

Well, yeah... not much changes.  A bit more explanation, and I think Yukari wanted to admit she wanted him sexually or something (my versions of things in life are askew+2).  Metis looked awesome.

The main thing I'm referring to is the ultimate fate in the protagonist. Sure it's vaguely hinted at in P3 but unless you're extremely paying attention you could easily interpret it as something else. Heck I thought he just took a nap until I read the FES summary.

Having it explained flat out like that removes any room for alternate interpretations and really generates an ending that feels like all your efforts were for nothing. I have a similar issue with Persona 4's ending.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »

Yeah, there's a proverb called "Adding feet while drawing a snake." FES's story stuff feel really extraneous and tacked on.

Dice, I'm plenty sure that in my game my main character wanted Yukari, too... sexually. Of course, he wanted all he girls sexually. He was a real bastard.

Sounds like a typical Japanese harem.  I wish the plot of dating-sim School Days was seen more frequently - I thought it was amazing haha  (FYI, basically the main guy in the show does a lotta fucken around, plus the girls are a bit nutty).

Persona 4 had probably the best ending....nothing bad happens!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »

I saw School Days.

Anime storywriters are nucking futs.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »

Having your family, home, friends, familiar settings, and lover/s ripped out from under you twice within a year is nothing bad? XD Maybe my views are a bit biased due to personal experience but I see that as one of the worst things that can happen to someone.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »

Yeah Leyviur pretty much said it all. Persona 3 Portable is for the most part the original Persona 3 with some added content from FES, and Persona 4's battle interface. The ending and the circumstances regarding it are pretty much still the same as the original Persona 3 even when you are playing as a female. As far as FES goes the addition is tougher then the main story so be warned. Without the Persona compendium you pretty much have to know exactly what you're doing so you can pass on the right skills, since you can't call back previous personae, most of the time you'll end up having to wing it with two or three personae at a time. Of course once you get the heavy hitters like Beelzebub, Yurlungur, Cybele etc it's not as bad but the fact that your options are so limited you'll still probably struggle a bit.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »

Having your family, home, friends, familiar settings, and lover/s ripped out from under you twice within a year is nothing bad? XD Maybe my views are a bit biased due to personal experience but I see that as one of the worst things that can happen to someone.

AWMYGAHD PLZ USE SPOILER TAGS OR SOMETHING

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: