Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332887 Posts in 13640 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  30 characters that defined a decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 30 characters that defined a decade  (Read 3257 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »

I mean, I like Auron and FFX, but can anyone REALLY say he had any sort of lasting effect that could really be determined as culture defining?  

A lot of people wet their panties over Auron as he's the closest Squeenix got to replicating Sephy within the last decade. That said, if I absolutely had to put an FF character on that list, I'd choose Vaan due to all the controversy surrounding him. Similarly Celda's Link but that's a whole 'nother can of worms I don't want to get into. And maybe Samus since despite the fact that she's been around for the last two decades, there wasn't much else to her beyond Super Metroid aside from two very archaic games and an appearance in SSB (and cameos in Kirby 3 and SMRPG:LotSS but I digress) until this decade with the Prime Trilogy, Fusion, and Zero Mission.

Other issues I have with that list are #13 (seriously, who remembers Bully?), #s 2 & 29 (Red Dead Redemption came out this year nevermind the fact that I don't think either character is going to matter that all much in the long run), #20 (as mentioned earlier, has absolutely no reason for being on such a list), and #28 (as I would probably substitute the Wanderer himself with the actual Colossi or even the horse).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »

Snake?... you there Snake?... SNAKE!!!!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »

No Snake? Fuck this list.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »

1 GLaDOS - Portal
Odd choice... Defined the generation?  Really?

2 John Marston - RDR
I'm a sucker for cowboys...

3 Nathan Drake - Uncharted
Great character, given, just wish he had more under his belt really.

4 Master Chief - Halo
I never understood the craze...

5 Niko Bellic - GTA4
His thick accent annoys me, he also looks like he's ill.

10 Ezio - Assassin's Creed
He's such a dreamy italian man.  I'm surprised he took the cake.  I always found Altair smoother, and a better cool to him.  Desmond's got some modern day heart.  I can see Ezio taking it though.

11 Ethan Mars - Heavy Rain
Fuck that.  Mind you, he did some pretty screwed up things, so you gotta admire him. I liked Jaden the best though haha; probably his weird addiction side story and his ability to kick some ass.

12 Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
I made my Shepard look like a real idiot.  So I giggled at this thinking of mine.

16 Elena Fisher - Uncharted
I supported the Chloe relationship oddly.  She was certainly more exotic.

20 Tim - Braid
I feel for the guy.  Even despite being silent.  Did he really define the decade?

21 Auron - FF10
He was an ass.  I didn't find him cool.  Just old and trying to be.
I also him in the Dick Measuring Contest because of his big ..."sword".

23 Kaim Argonar - Lost Odyssey
The "novel" scenes with him were probably better than the game itself.

25 KOS-MOS - Xenosaga
Cool? Yeah.  Hardly get to see passed that ice cold exterior.  Ending is sad too.

26 Professor Layton - Professor Layton Series
I give him credit for probably being the best inspired thing out of Japan.  Watch the trailer for the cartoon The Illusionist (2010), it makes you see how spot-on the townspeople design for the Layton series are, given the French cartoon look.  Except for the series' main females... who take on the "pretty anime" style :P

27 Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney
Well at least 26 and 27 are doing a game together.  I like him hear, he's fresh and in a profession rarely seen in games.  I kinda preffered his mellowed out version in AJustice more.  Then again, he usually is; the courts bring out the silly in him.

28 Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
I guess.  Less is more in this case.  Certainly gotta admire a character with a simple goal to go so far to accomplish it.

30 King of All Cosmos - Katamari
Yay!  Certainly an original character.  I liked in We (heart) Katamari, he sits in quite the risquee pose....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:10:18 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »

characters that manage to stand out and leave an impression one way or another

I feel that Master Chief and Solid Snake (WHERE) are pretty much the only ones that belong on such a list. Maybe Shepard, but he hasn't been around long enough to really see the test of time yet, IMO. This list was very poorly thought-through.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »

. . . Did you guys forget that Snake was conceived in the 80s? Even if you pull the characterization card the game that was most significant there came out in 98. There's a reason The Boss is there but not Snake.

Anyways, insertnamehere indirectly implied what really should've been done here: Keep it to 10. They were clearly stretching with choices like Bonnie, while keeping it to 10 would've made them be more selective and really consider how much of an effect characters left on people or how well they penetrated popular culture.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:26:56 PM by Eusis » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »

As much as I love glados, what makes someone pick her (?) over someone like Andrew Ryan from Bioshock?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »

. . . Did you guys forget that Snake was conceived in the 80s? Even if you pull the characterization card the game that was most significant there came out in 98. There's a reason The Boss is there but not Snake.

Anyways, insertnamehere indirectly implied what really should've been done here: Keep it to 10. They were clearly stretching with choices like Bonnie, while keeping it to 10 would've made them be more selective and really consider how much an much of an effect characters left on people or how well they penetrated popular culture.

I think Kaim is a testament to that.  Outside of the novel sequences, he was about as interesting as a light bulb and looked like a manly woman.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 01:07:52 AM »

Absolutely, many of those were REALLY stretching it.

But here's a doozy, as controversial as FFXIII was as a game, Lightning definitely made heads turn, more than Auron, and DEFINITELY more than Kaim. Look, I love the artistic sentiment of a nameless character being put on the list (Wander), but when we're talking real personalities, it's really hard for me to get my head around leaving Lightning off this list.

30 is a joke. When I first thought that I was thinking, "okay, lets take all the 2000s characters that didn't SUCK, and put them on this list". Even then, I think Lightning deserves a place.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »

C'mon, King of all Cosmos was fresh and original.  The game was too.  There's always talk about the nuttiness that was Katamari.  Auron sucked.  Lightning should have taken it.  Not enough females on the list as is, and (as you said) I think she made way more heads turn (if not for the fact she was a "she" rather than a "he" we're so use to).

I find it hard to define a decade by characters who's games have been out for less than a year (or if only one year).

Rather... I find it interesting to see the characters I WANT to put there but are from years before.  Thanks to new gaming tech, we finally have a fleshed-out story of Samus, who's again back and kicking ass.

Hard to this of who is really missing without thinking they simply added too manyslots.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:30 AM »

Hard to this of who is really missing without thinking they simply added too manyslots.

Wait... what...

WHAT?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 08:13:40 AM »

the real reason i dont like this list is there's too many dick's on it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 08:29:51 AM »

As much as I love glados, what makes someone pick her (?) over someone like Andrew Ryan from Bioshock?

I'd say GLADOS's popularity stems from:
- the song Still Alive
- memes

And does Andrew Ryan have Japanese translated Vocaloid songs made after him? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvRqnd4ymus)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »

Lightning was a terrible character. She had no personality and had piss poor development.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »

This is one of the worst lists of anything I've ever seen. If a character defines a decade I should know who they are, whether I played the game they are in or not. There's at least 10 on there that I was unfamiliar with, including the #1 pick. I've never played Portal, but I still have no clue who this GLADOS character is.
Way too many lesser types on there. I agree that a top ten would have made more sense.
And, yes, Snake does belong on this list. It doesn't matter that he was conceived in the 80's, he was still quite iconic the past 10 years.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: