Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 05:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327347 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  30 characters that defined a decade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: 30 characters that defined a decade  (Read 3197 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »

Hard to this of who is really missing without thinking they simply added too manyslots.

Wait... what...

WHAT?

Sorry...I was half asleep when I wrote that. ~_~
I meant that there's just too many slots, they were just fitting people in rather than coming to a concise decision on what few actually DID stand out the last decade.

I also think "defining" a generation is pretty vague.  You can't really fault personality to that I guess (though, it would be a factor).  Lightning wasn't that bad.  We like her if not just for her concept (at long last, an ass kicking female, that didn't fall do a damsel in distress trope - ever). 
Then you get the problem of too many *rough* and *tough* female leads.  I always admired Virginia from WA3 for at least showing a soft side.  Tough balance though - girls are so emotional, and there's a lot of way to play them out.

Bayonetta would have been an interesting choice, she was (again) a head turner.  She kicked ass and did it as sexually exploitive as possible (to the point it was a lark).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »

I'm going to pick up Bayonetta for cheap one of these days. You can get it for like 15 bux
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »

And, yes, Snake does belong on this list. It doesn't matter that he was conceived in the 80's, he was still quite iconic the past 10 years.

No, he doesn't. They specifically pointed out in the user voting it was only for characters introduced in the last decade (even if they were dumb and technically had it at 11 years thanks to putting Tingle on a sub-list), and if you were to include Snake you'd have to include Mario, Link, Gordon Freeman (Half Life 2 was a big deal!) and possibly even Sonic due to how tied his current image is with Sega of the last decade, and at at that point it may as well just be "characters that defined gaming".
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »

And, yes, Snake does belong on this list. It doesn't matter that he was conceived in the 80's, he was still quite iconic the past 10 years.

No, he doesn't. They specifically pointed out in the user voting it was only for characters introduced in the last decade (even if they were dumb and technically had it at 11 years thanks to putting Tingle on a sub-list), and if you were to include Snake you'd have to include Mario, Link, Gordon Freeman (Half Life 2 was a big deal!) and possibly even Sonic due to how tied his current image is with Sega of the last decade, and at at that point it may as well just be "characters that defined gaming".
Well, ya see, Mr. Eusis, I didn't see that part. I just saw the list here on the ole' fan. Makes sense, though, otherwise, as you said, the list would be cluttered with oldies.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »

Additionally the only things that Snake actually did this decade were the infamous bait and switch first act of MGS2 and whatever shenanigans went on in MGS4 (also the Ac!d games which were a thing, Ghost Babel maybe, and participating in SSBB with Sonic). Big Boss has better grounds for to be on that list than Solid Snake does. Also Raiden for said infamous bait and switch of MGS2.

And I'll admit. If I had to choose who I'd put in first place on this list. I'd be Master Chef instead of GLaDOS as da chief pretty much singlehandedly led Microsoft's charge into the gaming industry as well as the shift in the course of the gaming industry's history.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »

Are people actually saying stuff like "this list is retarded," etc., because it isn't the same list THEY THEMSELVES would make? I really didn't expect that from people here. Well, except maybe Prime Mover or Lard. But still.

It's like I walked into GameFAQs or something.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »

Are people actually saying stuff like "this list is retarded," etc., because it isn't the same list THEY THEMSELVES would make? I really didn't expect that from people here. Well, except maybe Prime Mover or Lard. But still.

I didn't think the general public really love Kaim, or really brag about how awesome super-dad Ethan Mars is.
THis list DOES have a few good people in; but in the end, it's pretty subjective.  I'm pretty sure the list of Top 20 Games Evar (heck, even Top 20 RPGs Ever) would arouse just as much debate.

I'm playing this as Switzerlandy as possible.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »

You're going to survive on a diet of chocolate and cheese?

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »

I like the top 3 characters they choose.

Other than that, I don't see the point in argue about this.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »

You're going to survive on a diet of chocolate and cheese?

Hot damn, I would if it didn't entail a heart attack after a week.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 12:18:14 AM »

bah, just use the defibrillator attachment on your swiss army knife
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 12:23:48 AM »

bah, just use the defibrillator attachment on your swiss army knife

Dying while eating wouldn't be that bad... would it?

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »

lists like this force me to realize that i'm not like most people. the fact is i dont play most of the games these characters come from.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »

I'd call this list "retarded" simply because it doesn't feel like it was well thought out. How can you list anyone from Red Dead Redemption? Sure it's popular, but to say any of these characters defined a decade would be pushing it. Heck, to publish a list about the decade this early is probably in bad taste, simply because things haven't had time to settle. What the hell are Auron and Loghain Mac Tir doing on there next to GLaDOS and Master Chief? Auron's the more memorable of the two, but I'd say that Yuna is more "defining" as a video game icon than Auron is. Look at the effect FFX-2 had on the cosplay community, or on fanart, or how it polarized the FFX subcommunity into lovers and haters. Auron didn't do that. Yuna is at least the poster girl for FFX.

GLaDOS of course has had far-reaching effects, given how the song helped define not only her, but brought Portal into the spotlight with people who might not have ever played it. It makes sense then that GLaDOS would be a defining representative.

But Loghain? Uh... what? You can probably ask even most gamers and they'll not remember Loghain too brightly. Now, Master Chief? Say what you want about Halo or silent protagonists, but there's no denying the impact Master Chief has had on the gaming community. He's one of the most recognisable faces alongside Mario and Lara Croft. He belongs on this list. Loghain and Auron simply don't.

This list is shite. Poorly thought out, poorly researched shite.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »

Or they can post what they want to their site, and anyone else with a site is free to do the same.

I think a good deal of stuff we've posted has come under fire for equally flimsy reasons.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: