Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327828 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone plan on playing Cataclysm World of Warcraft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Anyone plan on playing Cataclysm World of Warcraft?  (Read 7574 times)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »

I'm tempted, but not sure. Are some of you planning on playing it? Anyone participate in the Beta? What are your thoughts of the current and future state of the game?
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

Bought the expansion from blizz, downloaded it, and waiting for the 7th here.

And yes I was in the beta.  Guild achievements rock, all the starting quests have been revamped to be way more fun although worgen starting > goblin starting > DK starting >>>> BC races starting >>>>>>>> the rest.   Dungeons have gone back to be CC- centric.  Raids are now shorter (instead of one ten boss raid per tier they're aiming for 2 five boss raids) and no difference between 10 and 25 man.  Guild achievements make it worth it to do these as a guild as opposed to pugging it.  Questing is the same 80-85 takes just as long as 70-80.  And lots more "dramatic" (ala wrath gate) story telling.  

I'm looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:14:35 AM by Logick » Logged

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »

The future is looking quite bright as long as you aren't an "omg the casualz has my lewtz!" type of player.

Like Logic said:

-Revamped Azeroth.  New quests.  New areas.  New feel.  Flying in Azeroth is allowed.
-Revamped leveling system making abilities level up as you level up.  No longer have bloated talent trees.  Have access to more important moves early on (Mutilate, Mortal Strike, Mind Flay, etc).
-Dungeons less face-roll.  Actually will have to use CC
-Classes should emphasize good/bad players more than before.  We'll see if that works out like they say it will.
-No more neutral cities.  Finally - even though I loved Shattrath.

A lot of this is in place now since the patch before the expansion hit.  I'm sure I'm missing things.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »

I'm still on the fence about returning. If I do, I'd probably just start a new character so I don't get burned out by old content. The changes sound interesting though, I was never a hardcore player, so I welcome the revamped quests and getting rid of spell ranks and weapon levels and what not.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »

I love how Garrosh is right by the auction house in Orgrimmar.  Finally the alliance don't have a goddamn backdoor to every horde leader there is.  And holy crap the new Orgrimmar is amazing.  Stormwind looks much nicer as well.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »

I will play as soon as it hits. Already have it downloaded, just waiting. I have recently convinced my gf to give the game a shot, so hopefully it sticks.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »

Thanks to Amazon's deal that effectively makes the game free (sold for $4.99 with $5 credit, technically a net profit of a penny) I'm giving it a spin again. I'll probably cancel after the first month, I was mostly interested in seeing how they changed the one area of the game I was familiar with, the human starting area.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »

If I play again (and that is a HUGE if), I'm gonna play Alliance.  5+ years of the Horde has left me wanting a new experience.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:51:28 PM by D-Rider » Logged

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »

If I play again, I'm going to make a warlock. I've always liked the lore behind Warlocks in general, but I always found myself healing in WoW so I never made one.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »

Well if anyone wants to join us(alliance side), PM me and you can join our guild.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »

Thanks to Amazon's deal that effectively makes the game free (sold for $4.99 with $5 credit, technically a net profit of a penny) I'm giving it a spin again. I'll probably cancel after the first month, I was mostly interested in seeing how they changed the one area of the game I was familiar with, the human starting area.

It's different.  Northshire Abbey has changed a bit.  Elwynn Forest hasn't changed much physically.  Both have a lot of new quests.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »

I'll be there.
Lothar horde.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »

Fuck yeah I'm playing it. I was talking to some guys in a random 5 man heroic last night about their experience in the Beta and they said they cannot wait. A lot of their excitement was over the game requiring neurons to play now. Dont get me wrong, it's pretty easy to go from "six to midnight" while AOE Tanking like 30 mobs, but it's getting old. I want more danger, more "OH SHIT" moments.

From a tank standpoint, I'm most excited that DPS is going to have to learn to play and manage themselves; if they're fuckwads on autopilot and they rip aggro or dont pay attention they're going to have to deal with the consequences.

From the Lore and World standpoint, I'm stoked to play a Worgen and I'm already in love with how the world looks. I was pretty impressed with the most recent patch that actually shattered the world mainly with of course the aesthetics, but also the reevaluation of level requirements on Zones. Leveling 4 toons to 80 and 5 past 70, I'm kinda tired of the Plaguelands at 50+. Now? Well, Dan...this map may make you feel better about different perspective or content: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2010/november/levelflow.jpg

At any rate, yeah cant wait for the 7th.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »

So what is exactly active right now? I was thinking of playing again, but do I need cataclysm to play the new world stuff and quests and blah blah.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »

The leveling has always been my favorite part of WoW, anyway.  Anything that shakes that shit up even a little will be a plus in my book...and that's definitely more than a little shake.

God damn it, I'm gonna have to buy this, aren't I? :P

Totally rolling Alliance though, nothing's gonna shake me from that, all my level 80 hordelings be damned.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: