Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319703 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favourite Tactical RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favourite Tactical RPGs  (Read 12330 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »

An extention of my old thread that I felt warranted a new thread. Just list your favorite and least favorite Strategy/Tactical RPG that you've played. You can give an explanation if you want, but it's not required.

My Favorites:

• Super Robot Wars series - The title alone told me that it was the series for me. Over the top anime mechs duking it out has never been more awesome. Also, I can't tell if the series is easy, or if I'm just good at them, since I rarely find them that hard, and I suck at SRPGs.
  • Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis - The way the free battles worked and how you could recruit your enemies sold me on it from the very first battle. Then the battles got going, and I really started loving it. I have no idea what the story is since I skipped it all, but gameplaywise, it's a well-crafted SRPG.
  • Shining Force Series - My first set of SRPGs. Sure the stories aren't great, but there's tonnes of comedy and charm in the dialogue and characters, specifically the towns people. I love walking around and talking to people in this game just to see if I can find another joke or bizarre occurance. The gameplay is also pretty fun and usually forgiving. I rarely stay stuck for long.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - One of the best stories I've experienced in an SRPG, in fact, it's the only engaging story I've ever experienced in an SRPG, and I found it motivating me through the whole game up until I got stuck. I like the gameplay a lot, too, with its free battles, dialogue choices, and JRPG-style battle sequences. A superb game all around.
  • Disgaea DS - Very fun with some humorous dialogue, great mechanics, and loads of grinding. A bit too difficult at the start, though, but otherwise I liked it a lot.
  • Bahumat Lagoon - I like the story and JRPG Battles, but it's just not as good as Devil Survivor. Still a wonderful game, though.
  • Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen - It's like an RTS with Turn-based Battles. Love it! I love the Tarot cards, too.
  • Albert Odyssey - It ends up feeling more like a JRPG, except the whole world is a big Battlefield. Makes walking to town a chore, but it's a novel enough idea to warrant its spot on my list.
  • Dawn of War II - The Only RTS with a good singleplayer, IMO. It just so happens to be very RPG like.
  • Jeanne d'Arc - I thought the story was very enjoyable, and I liked being abole to walk in towns. Otherwise it;s just a fine SRPG. Nothing really wrong with it that I found.

Honorable Mentions:

• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - A lot of fun in short bursts, kinda like Tactics Ogre lite.
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden - It's fire Emblem, except its got towns you can walk in, and it's actually kind of enjoyable.

Least Favorites:

• Fire Emblem series - The perma-death kinda kills it, but mostly I just find them genuinely unappealing.
  • Warsong - Hardest. Game. EVER! I can't even beat the first stage!

Dishonorable mention:

• Front Mission 4 - Sigh...they just don't feel like giant robots. Great game otherwise, though.

Sorry for the huge first post, but once I condensed some series, I realized I could basically list every SRPG I've ever played.=P And as you can see, I liked most of them.=)

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »

Don't apologize. Nice list.

I need to get back into A2. Its decent fun and easy to play. Other than that FFT is my only other real tactical rpg experience, and I love the shit out of it even though I think the story was a bit much.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:58 AM »

I honestly dislike a lot of them.  I kinda went to the "action, real-time, RPG" route...

Um.  Final Fantasy Tactics was awesome I guess.  It got annoying with some of the super hard missions.  The execution site was ass.  And dealing with any of those super-swordsman classes didn't tickle either.

Rondo of Swords made a very interesting tactic system, I personally call it "the two in one" system for having you slice at multiple enemies in the way - appealing more to my faster-paced tastes in RPGs.

Rhapsody.  lol, it was easy, nice way to lull into the genre..

Venus & Braves.  The quintessential SRPG experience and I shed a tear a day that it isn't here.  Similar to a childhood favorite of mine....

Ogre Battle.  The music was something, and it's fun fuckin around with a party to figure out what works.  Go princess class!!! =D

Tactics Ogre - mainly for story, awesome (SNES/PSX - NOT PSP) character portraits, and fat, stubby little sprites made me go "tee hee".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »

Squeenix needs to just make a proper FFT sequel (not Advance) with more classes/abilities and more balance. It would be a great game, it really would.

Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »

Squeenix needs to just make a proper FFT sequel (not Advance) with more classes/abilities and more balance. It would be a great game, it really would.

Funny, we're currently developing a feature that may interest you. Check back in the middle of December.

- - -

As for me, I've played a ton of SRPGs. Since I've been working on some feature / editorial content around this topic, I won't share too much in this thread - but I will say this - the console Fire Emblem and non-Disgaea NIS SRPG games don't get quite enough credit. And I'll be really happy once we get Venus & Braves here.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »

Favorites:
x-Com: UFO Defense
X-Com: Apocalypse
Jagged Alliance 2
Devil Survivor
Arc the Lad 1 and 2 (less for the SRPG elements, though, I guess).
Age of Wonders series, if that applies here.
I guess HoMM3 and Lords of Magic: SE if AoW works, as well.

Sort-of Like:
Front Mission 1
Growlanser 2 though I barely played it.

Dislike:
Disgaea
Pretty much everything from Square

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

I like Fire Emblem.  Disgaea is okay, but I mainly like the zaniness of the whole thing.  Plus I wouldn't call it tactical really.

Jeanne D'Arc can diaf.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »

Fire Emblem series - The perma-death kinda kills it, but mostly I just find them genuinely unappealing.

If you don't let your dudes die, this isn't a problem!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »

Fire Emblem series - The perma-death kinda kills it, but mostly I just find them genuinely unappealing.

But it's so hard to do that!>_<

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »

Uh, from my experience, not so much, as long one has experience and knows what they're doing. It isn't easy, but it isn't hard either to save their asses with proper strategy and know-how either.
harmonic42

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

Favorite:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem 4,5,6,7,9,10
Ogre Battle

Least Favorite:

Not sure.  Have only played the above mentioned favorites. :P

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »

And I'll be really happy once we get Venus & Braves here.

A man after my own heart.

I don't mean to overhype - but it is very good and has been sadly overlooked for a NA release.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:45 PM »

Uh, from my experience, not so much, as long one has experience and knows what they're doing. It isn't easy, but it isn't hard either to save their asses with proper strategy and know-how either.

That's probably my problem. Most of my strategy is just random guessing.=P That's why I prefer games with more leway, that way I don't have to restart as often when I guess wrong. I don't think I really get the whole idea behind strategy games. I still find them fun, though.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »

Hmm...for my absolute favorite I'd have to say Wild Arms XF takes the cake no contest. A challenging SRPG with decent plot/cast and multiple classes that aren't the standard D&D base class list rehashes we've seen constantly cloned in RPGs that use a class system since the original Final Fantasy? Yes please. More SRPGs need to learn from Wild Arms XF's example and start making unique character classes that fit into their world's theme.

As for my least favorite...hard to say. I haven't played many SRPGs that really rubbed me the wrong way. I'd have to say it's a tie between Record of Agarest War and Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth. RoAW for obvious reasons, Hoshigami I can't exactly because I only played it once like...waaay back in 9th grade or about that area. I just remember being really bored and disappointed coming off the heels of FFT.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 05:31:32 PM »

Favourites:
Valkyria Chronicles
Most Fire Emblem games.
Final Fantasy Tactics
Disgaea
Did I mention Valkyria Chronicles?

Least Favourites:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Seriously. The Law System still haunts me to this day.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: