Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334511 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favourite Tactical RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favourite Tactical RPGs  (Read 13452 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »

Loved:
Suikoden Tactics
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

So-so:
FF Tactics
Jeanne D'Arc

Hated:
Valkyrie Profile DS
Vandal Hearts 2
Stella Deus

I like SRPGS when they have a bunch of interesting, unique characters, but I hate games that force you in a completely linear progression without letting you do any kind of sidequests. I still love Arc: Twilight of the Spirits because it was an SRPG that let you explore towns instead of forcing you to just scroll through menus.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 01:02:05 AM »

are there any fire emblems on next gens or on next gen handhelds? the only ones ive seen have been for GBA and older. i really want to check out the series but i have a hard time going back to anything pre-ps2 these days

Well, it was kind of already answered, but let me just say it explicitly. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for Wii, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for DS. I think Radiant Dawn is the better game, but it is a sequel to the GameCube's FE: Path of Radiance, so you might get a little lost on the story side. Shadow Dragon is a remake of the original FE on the Famicom, but Nintendo didn't really bother updated story or characters much for the remake, so it still has the barebones plot it had back in the day. If you're able, I would still recommend starting with the first FE released outside of Japan for the GBA, or if not that then Path of Radiance for GC. But if you get one of the games from this generation of consoles then be sure to play on Easy mode or prepare to be horribly frustrated.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 04:32:04 AM »

I thought Hoshigami Ruining Blue Earth wasn't that great.

Fire Emblem series is good and I enjoy the challenge, but the stories have never been that amazing. I must admit the last one of the Wii had some moments where I choked up though, touching touching stuff.

I enjoyed Disgaea Series, FF Tactics, Eternal Poison, Tactics Ogre, Valkyrie Chronicles was pretty awesome.
One Tactical RPG I loved was Kartia for the PS2, that game was so awesome. Only SRPG that actually had a multiplayer that was enjoyable and actually pretty balanced.( That I can remember at least)

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of games that I hated or loved, but these are the ones that come to mind.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 08:11:09 AM »

obviously i like super robot wars but i also enjoyed shining force 1-3 the game gear shining force's and shining force CD. suikoden tactics was a great srpg. also my favorite NIS srpg by far is soul nomad and the world eaters. as far as fire emblem goes i think the series is on life support. while a series like super robot wars continues to grow and move forward with its gameplay fire emblem is actually taking steps backwards.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »

i thought i was the only person who beat that game
It's not a very popular game.  The camera is bad and controls are a bit wonky.  If you can get past that there arre some good tactical missions.  Auto-restore is a bit of a crutch, though.  I recommend playing without using auto-restore.

as far as fire emblem goes i think the series is on life support. while a series like super robot wars continues to grow and move forward with its gameplay fire emblem is actually taking steps backwards.
Disagree.  The latest Fire Emblem 3 DS remake was a fantastic game with several innovative features such as casual mode, my unit, and lunatic reverse.  The latest SRW DS game is just more of the same formulaic stuff, and they can't even be assed to include skill points or ex-hard.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:41:38 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »

Favorites:

Final Fantasy Tactics/War of the Lions
Arc the Lad: TOS
Stella Deus
Dynasty Tactics 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Bahamut Lagoon
Front Mission (the original)

Honorable Mentions:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

Least Favorites:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2
Disgaea 1 and 2

I ABHORRED Tactics Advance and A2.  They didn't do the original any justice and the law system was awful.  The story was pitiful.
While the gameplay of Disgaea was pretty good, I didn't care for the animesque plot.

BTW, I can't believe nobody even mentioned Dynasty Tactics.  I grew up playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms (strategy) and Destiny of an Emperor (RPG) on NES.  I feel like Dynasty Tactics is a very good merger of those games and it deserves some love.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 01:56:19 AM »

Oh I forgot about that. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a big time favorite for me. I especially like 10 for the PS2 and 11 for the PC.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 03:03:21 AM »

I ABHORRED Tactics Advance and A2.  They didn't do the original any justice and the law system was awful.  The story was pitiful.

FFTA didn't even have a story.

And it was still substantially more coherent than the original FFT.

ice burn

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »

I actually quite enjoyed the advance tactics games, granted I hadn't played the original at the time so I really didn't have anything to compare them too. I still enjoyed the gameplay, though yeah, the story was pretty pitiful. The the first one had a better story than A2 though, in my opinion.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »

FFTA didn't even have a story.

And it was still substantially more coherent than the original FFT.

ice burn

Well, it kinda did have a story, it was just easy to ignore, not counting that obnoxiously long and slow intro. Ugh, take that out, and FFTA would've been quite a bit better, IMO.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »

are there any fire emblems on next gens or on next gen handhelds? the only ones ive seen have been for GBA and older. i really want to check out the series but i have a hard time going back to anything pre-ps2 these days

Well, it was kind of already answered, but let me just say it explicitly. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for Wii, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for DS. I think Radiant Dawn is the better game, but it is a sequel to the GameCube's FE: Path of Radiance, so you might get a little lost on the story side. Shadow Dragon is a remake of the original FE on the Famicom, but Nintendo didn't really bother updated story or characters much for the remake, so it still has the barebones plot it had back in the day. If you're able, I would still recommend starting with the first FE released outside of Japan for the GBA, or if not that then Path of Radiance for GC. But if you get one of the games from this generation of consoles then be sure to play on Easy mode or prepare to be horribly frustrated.

when it comes to Srpgs a great story is fantastic, but if the mechanics are good enough i can easily ignore a crap one. perfect example is operation darkness. dumbest plot and worst voice acting. but i enjoyed the mechanics enough that the 60 minute fights literally flew by.

i got an old fire emblem for the GBA but the graphics were pretty shoddy. ill definately check out shadow dragon though, its only 10 bucks online
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:12:02 AM by terrencelee » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »

if you think the graphics in any of the gba fire emblems are shoddy the DS ones are worse. only a blind hardcore fan could like the DS FE's.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »

if you think the graphics in any of the gba fire emblems are shoddy the DS ones are worse. only a blind hardcore fan could like the DS FE's.

Or a casual fan who can appreciate it for being a good game and not let things like graphics or story get in the way of that.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »

Loved:

FFT (PSP/PSX)
Disgaea series
Advance Wars Series
Ogre Battle Series

Hated:

Idea Factory ones
Luminous Arc series
FFT Advance series

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »

Or a casual fan who can appreciate it for being a good game and not let things like graphics or story get in the way of that.

My only problems with graphics is when it is *clear* they didn't try.
Disgaea 3 was an example of that, the "upgrade" to HD was absolutely laughable.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: