Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331854 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favourite Tactical RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favourite Tactical RPGs  (Read 13281 times)
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

if you think the graphics in any of the gba fire emblems are shoddy the DS ones are worse. only a blind hardcore fan could like the DS FE's.

Or a casual fan who can appreciate it for being a good game and not let things like graphics or story get in the way of that.

My only problems with graphics is when it is *clear* they didn't try.
Disgaea 3 was an example of that, the "upgrade" to HD was absolutely laughable.

I'm pretty lax when it comes to graphics too...But I do agree with the effort part. Remember Vandal Hearts on PSX? Felt like it should of have been on the SNES...especially compared to say FFT or even Dragon Force on the Saturn.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »

Oh I forgot about that. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a big time favorite for me. I especially like 10 for the PS2 and 11 for the PC.

Yeah, I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 11.  I have played 9 and 10, but I don't own them.  All of the ones I've played are great strategy games.  For some reason, there are only 2 Dynasty Tactics games.  The games sold relatively well and had good reviews, so I don't understand why Koei hasn't made another one.  I guess it's all about Dynasty Warriors nowadays.

Again, the Dynasty Tactics series are great SRPGs.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »

its not the graphics its the shitty antiquated gameplay thats the problem. ALL of the gba fire emblems are better than the DS ones.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 07:28:08 PM »

its not the graphics its the shitty antiquated gameplay thats the problem. ALL of the gba fire emblems are better than the DS ones.
Explain, please.
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »

if you think the graphics in any of the gba fire emblems are shoddy the DS ones are worse. only a blind hardcore fan could like the DS FE's.

Or a casual fan who can appreciate it for being a good game and not let things like graphics or story get in the way of that.

agreed, it was a fun game but i was pretty annoyed that i dropped 60 bucks for ps2 (or dare i say it ps1) quality graphics. the only saving grace was having junpeis voice actor as the MC for the game.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »

agreed, it was a fun game but i was pretty annoyed that i dropped 60 bucks for ps2 (or dare i say it ps1) quality graphics. the only saving grace was having junpeis voice actor as the MC for the game.
Disgaea 4 will have actual 720p HD graphics.. and you can grind to level 99999.  excited?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »

Disgaea 4 will have actual 720p HD graphics.. and you can grind to level 99999.  excited?

My issue was with DIsgaea 3.  Kudos to D4 actually going HD, but the series has started to bore me nonetheless.  So no, grinding to an almost 6-figure number doesn't do much for me. =S

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »

I've really only gotten interested in them in the last year or so.

This year I've picked up

Disgaea 1
Kartia
Phantom Brave
Suikoden Tactics
Vandal Hearts

I have FF Tactics, but I never really got into it.
I liked Valkyria Chronicles, but it never really seemed tactical to me, in the "old fashioned" sense.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »

I'm a huge SRPG fan and I've been playing this kind of game since 1992 approximately.  So here's my list of SRPG I've completed since the beginning of my gaming life.

Personal favorites: Shining Force III, Dragon Force, Super Robot Taisen: OG 1 & 2, Vandal-Hearts, Shining Force II, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes(not sure its a SRPG by definition, maybe puzzle, but whatever)

Good Ones: Shining Force, Warsong, Arc the Lad 1, 2 & Twilight of the Spirits, Brigandine, Front Mission 3, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Vanguard Bandits, Eternal Poison, Growlanser II, Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising, Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, Fire Emblem (the two GBA ones, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn), Yggdra Union, Rondo of Swords, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Jeanne D'Arc,   

Average Ones: Blazing Heroes(or Mystaria), Final Fantasy Tactics, Kartia, Saiyuki: Journey West, Vandal-Hearts II, Arc the Lad III, Front Mission 4, Growlanser III and Heritage of War, Stella Deus, Suikoden Tactics, Advance Wars (the first), Disgaea DS, Front Mission: The First, Luminous Arc I & II, Fire Emblem DS, Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos, Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires

Bad Ones or Complete Trash: Eternal Eyes, Master of Monsters (PSX), Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth Remix

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion of each game.   
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »

Advance Wars is one of the best console tactics games.  You missed out if you're calling it average.. putting it in the same category as grindea factory trash is just sad.  Also note that Advance Wars is not an SRPG.. neither are a bunch of other games people have listed in this thread, but I haven't felt like pointing them all out.

Front Mission 4 is good if you like party management/customization.. so if you claim to be a tactics fan you should have enjoyed it more.. although that depends on your level of skill.  I've found that skill plays a pretty big role in whether someone likes FM4.. that and whether they like customizing and min/maxing mech configurations.

Check out www.tbstactics.com if you're a tactics fan.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:46:44 PM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »

Advance Wars is one of the best console tactics games.  You missed out if you're calling it average.. putting it in the same category as grindea factory trash is just sad.  Also note that Advance Wars is not an SRPG.. neither are a bunch of other games people have listed in this thread, but I haven't felt like pointing them all out.

Front Mission 4 is good if you like party management/customization.. so if you claim to be a tactics fan you should have enjoyed it more.. although that depends on your level of skill.  I've found that skill plays a pretty big role in whether someone likes FM4.. that and whether they like customizing and min/maxing mech configurations.

Check out www.tbstactics.com if you're a tactics fan.

I love Advance Wars. I also enjoyed Front Mission 4, though I think I would've prefered Front Mission 3 and Front Mission 1.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »

Average Ones:  Final Fantasy Tactics,

im glad to know im not the only one who thinks so, i found it to be pretty lackluster and to have a relatively broken combat system.
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »

The thing is, I played the first Advance Wars after playing Black Hole Rising, Dual Strike and Days of Ruin.  So I thought it was a step backward, but that's pretty normal since its the first game in the series.

I wasn't impressed by FFT when it first came out on the PSX.  Never played the game since then.  I'm not a big fan of the class or job system and I have to agree with terrencelee about the combat system.     
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »

Average Ones:  Final Fantasy Tactics,

im glad to know im not the only one who thinks so, i found it to be pretty lackluster and to have a relatively broken combat system.

My main beef was battles simply took way too long.  Mastery of classes therefore, took forever.  Hell, even blackmages took 3 full rounds for some spells to pull and by then everyone is out of the vicinity.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 03:11:17 AM »

The thing is, I played the first Advance Wars after playing Black Hole Rising, Dual Strike and Days of Ruin.  So I thought it was a step backward, but that's pretty normal since its the first game in the series.
What makes it a great game is the advance campaign and related scoring system and very well done challenges.  The rest of the series is quite easy in comparison.  Also Advance Wars is not as complicated, but it tends to be more balanced with less broken stuff to abuse.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: