Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Looking for some new superheroes outside my realm of familiarity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for some new superheroes outside my realm of familiarity  (Read 3152 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

When it comes to superheroes and superhero comics, all the ones I know are American. My personal favorite superhero being Storm from X-men.

So who/what are some foreign superhero comics I should be aware of? There have to be some superheroes from other countries that I simply must check out, right? 

And who are some good female writers of superhero comics? A lot of comics (including superhero comics) are done by male writers/artists so I'd dig seeing a killer superhero comic written and drawn by a female writer. 

Basically, I love superhero comics and am looking for perspectives outside my familiarity.  Print or web, but print preferred. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:30:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPLGgaHMwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXoopjwdzp8

I wish I knew more, this is actually a pretty cool topic I wouldn't mind knowing myself.  Unfortunately, my realm is only within the Marvel crew (which, mind you, have become pretty good quality works lately).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »

Comics! Though not superheroes per se, you should really, really check out Cowboy Ninja Viking. The 10th issue just came out and all of it is collected in trades thus far. Here's a one sentence synopsis of the story: a government program to train people with multiple personality disorder into killing machines goes horribly wrong in the best way possible. Other features: no ads, oversized format, and each issue is inked in black and white and ONE color that changes each issue.

Here is an IGN Review of the first issue: http://comics.ign.com/articles/103/1037713p1.html

For the record, having read the series from the beginning, it only gets better.

Hellboy. Again, not quite a superhero, but this comic will scratch that itch. If you haven't been paying attention to Mike Mignola's work these last 17 years, you need to do yourself (and him) a favor and check this guy out. Okay, the series is long (10 trades thus far and no sign of stopping), but it's not marred by the cliffhanger continuity that plagues most superhero comics each issue. Each trade nicely collects and presents a story or a collection while simultaneously advancing the main characters. The art and the writing is sophisticated and Mignola incorperates a ton of Norweigian myth into this series, as well as other myths.

Also, there are a lot of offshoots: BPRD, Abe Sapien, Baltimore: the Plagureships, etc, all of which are very good as well. If you take only one suggestion from this list, pick this one.

The Criminal Series by Ed Brubaker. This is a noir/crime comic, so if you have no interest in that particular branch of storytelling, then skip this. But, this series is very character driven and the art is fantastic. Like Hellboy, the volumes are fairly numerous, but each one is a self-contained story. Your local comic shop probably has the first volume, and if so, skim the first issue and think about it.

You probably know Daredevil as you said you're familiar with Marvel, but, if you have not read Frank Miller's run on it you need to do so. Out of everything the guy has done, this is his best work. Fuck the Dark Kinght Returns (and especially the sequel), Sin City, and 300. The entirety of it is collected in three volumes and is well worth the investment. The writing (Miller doesn't take over until the second volume) is very well paced and when he's drawing as well, it's one of the most thoroughly cinematic comics I've ever experienced. I like Daredevil, if my avatar didn't already give it away.

Regarding female writers, look into Gail Simone's work. She was doing some really cool stuff with Wonder Woman last year but I haven't been following her work lately.

The foriegn superheroes thing is a bit more tricky because its an American invention. Japan, as I'm sure you know, has the biggest comic book market in the world, but they're not really doing anything with superheroes. Let me do some research. I'm curious now.

EDIT: Lastly, I apologize for recommending a bunch of comics that do not fit any of your criteria.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:54:55 AM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:22:30 AM »

Ooh, I have a lot to chew on now.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 02:30:11 AM »

Japan indeed is not a land of super heroes. Japan prefers the casual hero or the magical girl.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »

I didn't suggest this in my last post because I gave you so many other suggestions, but have you read/seen Persepolis? It's a graphic memoir written by Marjane Satrapi, a woman who grew up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. It has been adapted into an animated film and I would recommend both very highly. Personally, I'd start with the books though.

It's very funny in parts and addresses the whole growing up thing with a sense of humour. However, since she lived in a country almost constantly at war internally or externally, it also hits more somber notes. One of the major thing it addresses is how its possible to love your country but hate your government, a sentiment a lot of people in the USA can relate to I think. Actually, this should be required reading since it offers a very intimate history of a country we don't know much about.

Satrapi has also written a few other graphic novels addressing various aspects of Iranian culture and if you dig Persepolis chances are you'll enjoy anything else she's done.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »

So many interesting suggestions.  Looks like I'll need to make a trip to my local comic book store to sample some of this bounty.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »

Let me know what you liked/disliked. Hope something strikes your fancy.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »

You could also look into Transmetropolitan.  Again not a superhero book, but it takes Hunter S. Thompson's likeness and transforms him into an ass kicking maniac.  It's pretty interesting.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »

Well, I was recently given Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim) so I'll read that.  It seems like something I could dig.

Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »

For female writers, I certainly recommend Gail Simone as well - she's easily one of my favorite comic writers, male, female, or otherwise. Her Birds if Prey was (and is) excellent, and when paired with Nicolas Scott, it was a very talented combo of female writer / artist. Currently, her Secret Six is great.

For something different, from a writer that's not foreign, though, try Mat Johnson's last two Vertigo OGNs: Incognegro and Dark Reign. Remarkably talented, but non-superhero fare.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: