Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Job thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Job thread.  (Read 12319 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

I was actually getting a Ph.D. in medium energy nuclear physics, but I fell in love with teaching while getting my MS.  Glad I made the change!

Neat.  What were you studying?  Medium energy is a broad category.  Would that be like JLab?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »

I actually went to the home and garden show last year and was far from impressed.

Do you mean the one in 09 or just the one this past spring? I largely just go there because the C&S society is selling stuff and they have a lot of fairly hard to find things at really low prices.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »

I actually went to the home and garden show last year and was far from impressed.

Do you mean the one in 09 or just the one this past spring? I largely just go there because the C&S society is selling stuff and they have a lot of fairly hard to find things at really low prices.
Yeah, I phrased that wrong. I meant this past spring. Everything was sponsored by Belgard. Good company with a good product, but I would have liked to have seen more diversity. Because of my job I have to care just as much about paving and wall products, as I do about plants. Or at least pretend to.
That's what Mid Am is for.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

It was better last year. This year they had too much stuff that was like... plastic whimsical lawn crap, and not enough proper landscaping stuff.

As I said though, C&S society sells awesome plants.

Except there's also that african violet society and they kind of freak me out because motherfucking african violets.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:57:12 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »

I work at.....ahhh crap...I'm unemployed = \ lol

Got laid off last year around this time (job sucked anyway, factory work), lost my apartment, girlfriend took off, had to move back to the 'rents.

So I raided Borders Books for computer programming textbooks, consumed all of them and went back to college this fall as a computer programming major =D
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »

I have a degree in Horticulture and work for a landscape company as an Estimator. Basically, I'm the guy who determines what a job is worth and how long it takes to install it.
I also plow snow when the need arises.
Our company specializes in seasonal floral displays. Visit Chicago any time of the year, and you'll see a lot of our work, including portions of Michigan Ave. There's always extra, so I get free flowers each season. Trust me, this can be expensive, so it's a nice little perk.

I hate snow.  I left for Vegas to see my parents over the weekend and I come back into O'Hare and it's 7 degrees and snowy.

I work in eCommerce for a major shipping supplier.  I'm somewhere between Marketing and IT; I mainly do website testing and debugging and write reports about social media.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »

Got laid off last year around this time (job sucked anyway, factory work), lost my apartment, girlfriend took off, had to move back to the 'rents.

So I raided Borders Books for computer programming textbooks, consumed all of them and went back to college this fall as a computer programming major =D

Way to rise above all that crap. I'm going to dedicate my FF marathon to you.

edit: I also took the Chicago Firefighter exam YEARS ago...well they sent me some stuff about this time last year to take a physical. I took it and passed. They sent me a letter that the next step was a medical exam and background check but nothing never came.

I'm not holding my breath, since Chicago's budget is fucked. But on the other hand CFD stands to lose a lot of staff due to retirement and such.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:42:10 PM by Yoda » Logged
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »

Way to rise above all that crap. I'm going to dedicate my FF marathon to you.

edit: I also took the Chicago Firefighter exam YEARS ago...well they sent me some stuff about this time last year to take a physical. I took it and passed. They sent me a letter that the next step was a medical exam and background check but nothing never came.

I'm not holding my breath, since Chicago's budget is fucked. But on the other hand CFD stands to lose a lot of staff due to retirement and such.

Thanks man =D I will be marathon-ing right along with ya when the time comes.  I still feel like a bit of a bum, but I'm glad I can put 100% into school.  Never been able to do that before.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »

Environmental Studies graduate desperately looking for a job in the ENV Science/ Consulting/ Remediation field. I pay my student loans by serving food at my parents' restaurant and in my spare time I also design their menus and e-mail newsletters.

Oh God someone hire me.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »

I'm a student in my last year studying German and History. After this I plan on heading to Grad School for Library Science. In the mean-time, I work the campus dining hall. I'm really tired of working there, but I pick the shifts I work every quarter, so its way to convenient to give up. Guess I'll have to keep on smelling like fries and milk every night.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 01:04:45 AM »

I'm a student in my last year studying German and History. After this I plan on heading to Grad School for Library Science. In the mean-time, I work the campus dining hall. I'm really tired of working there, but I pick the shifts I work every quarter, so its way to convenient to give up. Guess I'll have to keep on smelling like fries and milk every night.

Working at a bar, I know how you feel.  I come home smelling like barfood and every single drink we offer.
I miss my video rental store days at Blockbuster...where I'd smell like new packages.  That was nice.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »

Perhaps you should consider a job at a bakery?

I write for a Dutch game magazine, so I smell like new games and old books (my workspace doubles as my library).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 03:09:40 AM »

Linguistics Student. Work at a grocery store on weekends/summer to pay the bills. It sucks.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »

Currently "working" as a student (I actually do get paid... sortta). Doing my undergrad in CS cause it's awesome and I have 3 more semesters left after this one. Having major hopes of working for the local subsidiary of RIM for a couple years before I go for my MCS at MIT. I hope to build my own operating system interface and sell it for big moneys.

@Dice: the campus bar I frequent has a $0.45 wing night which also makes people joyous and vegetarians envious. I go there so often I could probably work there since I know everything on the menu. But then I think it would ruin the charm of it and I wouldn't wanna hang out there much after that. I used bus at a bar last summer though. It was fun but some of the drunks made me wanna hurt people and incidentally I don't go there anymore except if it's a faculty pub crawl (cause it's one close to campus).
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »

@Dice: the campus bar I frequent has a $0.45 wing night which also makes people joyous and vegetarians envious. I go there so often I could probably work there since I know everything on the menu. But then I think it would ruin the charm of it and I wouldn't wanna hang out there much after that. I used bus at a bar last summer though. It was fun but some of the drunks made me wanna hurt people and incidentally I don't go there anymore except if it's a faculty pub crawl (cause it's one close to campus).

I WIN!  We have $0.40 wing nights!!
I could never be a vegetarian, the options on the other side are too wonderful.

I barely get smashed anymore, I only get tipsy or drink sociably.  I hate some of the idiots that come into where I work... Guaranteed a good portion of paychecks are spent where I work by regulars.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: