Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 07:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337885 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Job thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Job thread.  (Read 12716 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

I was actually getting a Ph.D. in medium energy nuclear physics, but I fell in love with teaching while getting my MS.  Glad I made the change!

Neat.  What were you studying?  Medium energy is a broad category.  Would that be like JLab?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »

I actually went to the home and garden show last year and was far from impressed.

Do you mean the one in 09 or just the one this past spring? I largely just go there because the C&S society is selling stuff and they have a lot of fairly hard to find things at really low prices.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »

I actually went to the home and garden show last year and was far from impressed.

Do you mean the one in 09 or just the one this past spring? I largely just go there because the C&S society is selling stuff and they have a lot of fairly hard to find things at really low prices.
Yeah, I phrased that wrong. I meant this past spring. Everything was sponsored by Belgard. Good company with a good product, but I would have liked to have seen more diversity. Because of my job I have to care just as much about paving and wall products, as I do about plants. Or at least pretend to.
That's what Mid Am is for.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

It was better last year. This year they had too much stuff that was like... plastic whimsical lawn crap, and not enough proper landscaping stuff.

As I said though, C&S society sells awesome plants.

Except there's also that african violet society and they kind of freak me out because motherfucking african violets.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:57:12 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »

I work at.....ahhh crap...I'm unemployed = \ lol

Got laid off last year around this time (job sucked anyway, factory work), lost my apartment, girlfriend took off, had to move back to the 'rents.

So I raided Borders Books for computer programming textbooks, consumed all of them and went back to college this fall as a computer programming major =D
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »

I have a degree in Horticulture and work for a landscape company as an Estimator. Basically, I'm the guy who determines what a job is worth and how long it takes to install it.
I also plow snow when the need arises.
Our company specializes in seasonal floral displays. Visit Chicago any time of the year, and you'll see a lot of our work, including portions of Michigan Ave. There's always extra, so I get free flowers each season. Trust me, this can be expensive, so it's a nice little perk.

I hate snow.  I left for Vegas to see my parents over the weekend and I come back into O'Hare and it's 7 degrees and snowy.

I work in eCommerce for a major shipping supplier.  I'm somewhere between Marketing and IT; I mainly do website testing and debugging and write reports about social media.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »

Got laid off last year around this time (job sucked anyway, factory work), lost my apartment, girlfriend took off, had to move back to the 'rents.

So I raided Borders Books for computer programming textbooks, consumed all of them and went back to college this fall as a computer programming major =D

Way to rise above all that crap. I'm going to dedicate my FF marathon to you.

edit: I also took the Chicago Firefighter exam YEARS ago...well they sent me some stuff about this time last year to take a physical. I took it and passed. They sent me a letter that the next step was a medical exam and background check but nothing never came.

I'm not holding my breath, since Chicago's budget is fucked. But on the other hand CFD stands to lose a lot of staff due to retirement and such.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:42:10 PM by Yoda » Logged
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »

Way to rise above all that crap. I'm going to dedicate my FF marathon to you.

edit: I also took the Chicago Firefighter exam YEARS ago...well they sent me some stuff about this time last year to take a physical. I took it and passed. They sent me a letter that the next step was a medical exam and background check but nothing never came.

I'm not holding my breath, since Chicago's budget is fucked. But on the other hand CFD stands to lose a lot of staff due to retirement and such.

Thanks man =D I will be marathon-ing right along with ya when the time comes.  I still feel like a bit of a bum, but I'm glad I can put 100% into school.  Never been able to do that before.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »

Environmental Studies graduate desperately looking for a job in the ENV Science/ Consulting/ Remediation field. I pay my student loans by serving food at my parents' restaurant and in my spare time I also design their menus and e-mail newsletters.

Oh God someone hire me.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »

I'm a student in my last year studying German and History. After this I plan on heading to Grad School for Library Science. In the mean-time, I work the campus dining hall. I'm really tired of working there, but I pick the shifts I work every quarter, so its way to convenient to give up. Guess I'll have to keep on smelling like fries and milk every night.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 01:04:45 AM »

I'm a student in my last year studying German and History. After this I plan on heading to Grad School for Library Science. In the mean-time, I work the campus dining hall. I'm really tired of working there, but I pick the shifts I work every quarter, so its way to convenient to give up. Guess I'll have to keep on smelling like fries and milk every night.

Working at a bar, I know how you feel.  I come home smelling like barfood and every single drink we offer.
I miss my video rental store days at Blockbuster...where I'd smell like new packages.  That was nice.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »

Perhaps you should consider a job at a bakery?

I write for a Dutch game magazine, so I smell like new games and old books (my workspace doubles as my library).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 03:09:40 AM »

Linguistics Student. Work at a grocery store on weekends/summer to pay the bills. It sucks.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »

Currently "working" as a student (I actually do get paid... sortta). Doing my undergrad in CS cause it's awesome and I have 3 more semesters left after this one. Having major hopes of working for the local subsidiary of RIM for a couple years before I go for my MCS at MIT. I hope to build my own operating system interface and sell it for big moneys.

@Dice: the campus bar I frequent has a $0.45 wing night which also makes people joyous and vegetarians envious. I go there so often I could probably work there since I know everything on the menu. But then I think it would ruin the charm of it and I wouldn't wanna hang out there much after that. I used bus at a bar last summer though. It was fun but some of the drunks made me wanna hurt people and incidentally I don't go there anymore except if it's a faculty pub crawl (cause it's one close to campus).
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »

@Dice: the campus bar I frequent has a $0.45 wing night which also makes people joyous and vegetarians envious. I go there so often I could probably work there since I know everything on the menu. But then I think it would ruin the charm of it and I wouldn't wanna hang out there much after that. I used bus at a bar last summer though. It was fun but some of the drunks made me wanna hurt people and incidentally I don't go there anymore except if it's a faculty pub crawl (cause it's one close to campus).

I WIN!  We have $0.40 wing nights!!
I could never be a vegetarian, the options on the other side are too wonderful.

I barely get smashed anymore, I only get tipsy or drink sociably.  I hate some of the idiots that come into where I work... Guaranteed a good portion of paychecks are spent where I work by regulars.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: