Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332910 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Job thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Job thread.  (Read 12133 times)
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2011, 10:35:24 AM »

I work for Research in Motion, I get paid a decent amount of money to do nothing slightly interesting or hard to do. I like it.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »

Bump.

Any changes?

I've got work for a medical staffing agency. Mainly I go to a hospice floor in a hospital. Some weeks I work a lot, some not so much. In any case I make enough to help w/ the mortgage and buy vidya games up the wazzoo. I don't make enough to save for the FUTURE but I'm going to school for more paper.

Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »

Graduate assistant slave.  I spend much of my time reading pdfs, taking inadequate notes, or looking for pdfs.  Or copying books for class readings.  GLORIOUS, I KNOW, YOU ARE ALL ENVIOUS.  En route to school psychologist.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »

As I prepare to take my license exam, I am doing freelance translation/interpretation. Unfortunately being self employed in this manner leads to shitty benefits so I sent a resume to Lion Bridge.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »

Still working as a freelance writer, but I think new doors are starting to open thanks to my growing network. For instance, I've been asked to help out with a manga exhibition. I'm an expert now :D
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »

As I prepare to take my license exam, I am doing freelance translation/interpretation. Unfortunately being self employed in this manner leads to shitty benefits so I sent a resume to Lion Bridge.

My girlfriend's looking to do some Chinese translation.  She got an internship at the Cleveland Clinic, which is pretty big, but not sure if that'll result in a job immediately following her undergrad graduation.  Tips?

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »

Since my job status has changed since this thread was initially launched (which is weird, because I totally remember the start of this, but never actually posted) so I guess now is a great time to post :P

I'm in the Operations Learning and Development department of a Blue Cross/Shield insurance company in Washington state. Basically, I'm kind of like a teacher, but for adults. I have no formal education for adult learning, but my boss is pretty awesome (albeit a little intense when he gets going) and has really given me the tools and the knowledge of how adults learn as opposed to children. It's funny though, the style I've been researching and adopting is very similar to Montessori Schools learning style.

I fucking love my job, and it's very exhausting, but I like to think I'm pretty good at it.

*quick aside, Blue Cross/Shield is not one big insurance company, for those that were not already aware. (I hate the stigma that it's a huge heartless health insurance company. The one you have might be, but most of the "Blues" are actually pretty cool. And really, if you're on some employer-based insurance plan, and you dont like your coverage, it's VERY LIKELY your employer's cutting of benefits and coverage, not the carrier.)

/soapbox.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

My girlfriend's looking to do some Chinese translation.  She got an internship at the Cleveland Clinic, which is pretty big, but not sure if that'll result in a job immediately following her undergrad graduation.  Tips?
What does she need tips for? Elaborate.

My jobs had been mostly freelance, unofficial deals (whether it be translation, interpretation, or ESL tutoring) because I never had a working visa in China, however I have lots of commendations from my clients, which has helped me a lot over the years.

Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »

She's basically just ignorant to the entire freelancing aspect.  She wants to do it for a year or two before she applies to doc programs.  So, I was wondering how you went about it, etc.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2011, 01:46:42 AM »

At first it was just word of mouth. I had done a few small favors by translating small amounts for people. Eventually they came back with more and more stuff that forced me to charge them. Eventually I had built up a large enough client base that I had recommendations for better work. It doesn't help me all that much here in the states, and I don't know how much it'll help your girlfriend, but that's how I went about it.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »

Pensions Advisor.

I'm on strike today. :D

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »

Still with RIM. Fixing servers now though instead of phones. Same amount of money but dealing with a much nicer class of people. Only issue is I know nothing about networks and am dealing with vastly networked environments. I know 70% about one box (BES) and 10% about another (Exchange and AD) and people seem to think I know 150% about everything they have. That part is a bit annoying.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2011, 12:07:28 AM »

I am still at the publishing company. It is boring. They pay me enough money to disguise this fact.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2011, 01:41:29 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Ashton.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »

Still working on going indie my first game should come out early-mid '12, while working(for pay) at startup a bunch of EA guys made working on an MMO.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: