Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332025 Posts in 13601 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Anyone here into the more underground metal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone here into the more underground metal?  (Read 1628 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

Black, folk, viking and pagan metal? Just picked up the new Obscurity, Fejd and Agalloch albums, all great.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »

I used to be a huge metalhead. I still listen to metal, just no way near as much I used to.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »

I haven't listened to enough of that.  I've listened to some Otyg and Skyclad, and I do enjoy me some Finntroll and Bal Sagoth every so often.  

I tend to be more into underground death metal.  I attended Hostile City Death Fest in Philly over the summer and saw some killer bands.  A few of my favorites were NJ band Strychnia, Boston band Abnormality, and upstate NY band Abdicate.  The others who played were I Am the Trireme, Dysentery, Rottenness, Doomsday Machine Schematic (they replaced Putrid Pile because his grandmother died), Mortician (their set was the highlight of my night), Diabolic, and Order of Ennead.  Main headliner that day was Hate Eternal (Erik Rutan is such a personable gentleman, and their bassist was really nice too.)  And this past Friday I saw Abnormality again in Philly with Sexcrement, Mortal Decay, One With Nothing, and Goreaphobia.  All great bands and super cool people.

I was recently turned onto a cool New York band called Castevet.  It's arty black metal.  If you like Suffocation and that brand of NYDM (New York death metal) check out Humanity Falls. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:35:21 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »

I've been on a huge viking metal kick lately.  Lots of Einherjer, Borknagar, Vintersorg and Bathory in particular.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:14 PM »

I've been on a huge viking metal kick lately.  Lots of Einherjer, Borknagar, Vintersorg and Bathory in particular.

You might wanna check out King Of Asgard. Excellent viking metal with two ex-members of Mithotyn.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »

I'm more into doom and heavy/speed/power as far as metal goes.

The new Agalloch album was cool though, I guess. I enjoyed it and all but I'm questioning how it will stand the test of time. The production was sort of strange for them.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »

Does underground thrash count? Because I'm one for those bands all the time!

Although, you still gotta love the other subgenres listed above.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »

Does underground thrash count? Because I'm one for those bands all the time!

Although, you still gotta love the other subgenres listed above.

I'm nearly 40, and cut my "metal teeth" on the thrash of the 80's. Still love the stuff. From the more well known stuff like Venom and Slayer to lesser known bands like Sabbat and Faith Or Fear to the crossover bands like Crumbsuckers and Ludichrist, love it all.

Solstafir, I recently had to make a top 10 list for message board I belong to and the new Agalloch made the number one spit for me.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:18:52 AM »

A few other bands I saw this year in multiple subgenres who I rather liked were Quis Deo, The Fetals, Sedna (NJ based band), Von Kull, Gholas, Atrophia, Her Virgin Womb, Blood of Isis, some of my friends' bands: Abserdo, Mistress, Razed By Fire, Sadgiqacea, (I already mentioned Abnormality and Strychnia who I'm also friends with at least 1-2 members in.)

One of my favorite albums of 2010 is Abserdo's "Raising a Pervert."  It's thrash-crossover and these kids (all under 21) are freaking amazing.  I wished I could write songs as epic as "You Got Pregnant and Dropped Out of High School" back when I was 17.  Such a fantastic song.  Strychnia's another young band (oldest member's 22) who sound like a they've been at it for 20 years.  Strychnia and Abserdo together would be one hell of a show. 

EDIT: The other day, a friend turned me onto this Dutch band called Prostitute Disfigurement and my first thought was that a show with them, Putrid Pile, and Sexcrement would be absolutely sick in many senses of the word. 

"Scenes From Hell" by avant-garde Japanese metal band Sigh was one of the most unique albums I've ever heard.  Definitely one of the best metal albums of 2010. 

Hopefully Strychnia and Mistress will have their full-lengths out in 2011.  And I can't wait to hear the new Gorguts (esp. since two of the guys in Dysrhythmia are in the lineup and I love that band.) 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:04:12 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »

Might I ask what board that is, Britton? Also seeing the list would be cool, I generally enjoy viewing those. [edit: just saw the thread in this subforum...] I enjoyed the album well enough as I said, I'm just not sure if it'll still get as many listens as, say, Pale Folklore still does. Also regarding Sabbat, I assume you mean the UK one given the context. I really couldn't stand Martin Walkyier's vocals when I tried giving Dreamweaver a listen...

I really enjoyed Sigh's Scenes From Hell as well, Dincrest. Apparently they're aiming to have another one out next year if I remember right.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 09:16:21 PM by Solstafir » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: