Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2016, 06:23:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
244218 Posts in 7308 Topics by 2386 Members
Latest Member: Richard111
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyria: Azure Revolution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Valkyria: Azure Revolution  (Read 2896 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »

Well, sorry I was Mr. Cranky Pants this morning.  Still totally mystified by your beef, however.

His beef is that he forgot that we're talking about a Sega franchise here. The mere fact that they haven't buried this entirely yet for more Miku, PSO and Sonic is amazing.

I for one, am willing to tank this hit just to keep a series that we may or may not continue to see in the West going (which is a far cry above what we normally see out of Sega which is Sonic Spam and almost nothing else).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »

Finally watched a gameplay trailer and uh wish I didn't. Kind of reminds me of the time people were clamoring for a new Shining Force for years and then Sega fed us Shining Force: Neo.

My only hope is that the graphics look good and you could probably build an actual VC game out of its engine.
Limlight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »

Finally watched a gameplay trailer and uh wish I didn't. Kind of reminds me of the time people were clamoring for a new Shining Force for years and then Sega fed us Shining Force: Neo.

My only hope is that the graphics look good and you could probably build an actual VC game out of its engine.

ugh, that salt in the wound......shining force neo................

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »

Wouldn't it be a lot less tedious and more resourceful for the developers to do another game set in the same universe with game mechanisms built upon rather than replaced entirely?

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »

On the upside there was a game called Shining Resonance that looked pretty cool a little ways back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvyEmBmgu5o

On the downside, it's probably never getting ported outside Japan.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:33:37 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2016, 01:28:25 AM »

On the upside there was a game called Shining Resonance that looked pretty cool a little ways back.

Turns out, it wasn't. The last page has someone literate in Japanese reviewing the game and it was boring, meaningless and dull; or in a word. Bad.

Frankly, even from what little I've been able to find about the Tony Taka Shining games (because nobody seems to want to talk about these games for some reason), they're waifu dating sims first and foremost and little else (and they're not even particularly good dating sims either, for one they tend to recycle the waifus a lot for stupid/bullshit reasons, and I'm not just talking about the endless reuse of the same 5 archetypes either).

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 01:34:34 AM »

Turns out, it wasn't. The last page has someone literate in Japanese reviewing the game and it was boring, meaningless and dull; or in a word. Bad.

Frankly, even from what little I've been able to find about the Tony Taka Shining games (because nobody seems to want to talk about these games for some reason), they're waifu dating sims first and foremost and little else (and they're not even particularly good dating sims either, for one they tend to recycle the waifus a lot for stupid/bullshit reasons, and I'm not just talking about the endless reuse of the same 5 archetypes either).

Eh I looked at the combat and stuff and it looked pretty much fine.

I'm not saying it was clearly mega revolutionary, but fun? Probably sure.

I mean with Media Vision I mean heck I don't know if even Wild Arms was the most revolutionary game at the time per se but it was still extremely endearing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:39:51 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 02:17:21 AM »

Wild ARMs really wasn't revolutionary. The big thing it had going for it was its Western theme (especially since it actually stuck to it for the first couple of games, unlike another series that wanted to do a different genre but lacked the balls to go through with it that shall remain nameless) and a few other specific features like puzzle solving dungeon items.

That said, a JRPG taking a non-Generic Fantasy Anime theme alone was worth the price of admission in those days, and the games are still fondly remembered because they didn't bail on it. Hell, a lot of classic JRPGs were ones that did away with the Generic Fantasy Anime shtick. Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma, Xenogears, Phantasy Stars 1-4, Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, Parasite Eves 1 & 2, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics (not the Advance games), Chrono Trigger/Cross, Megaman Legends, Suikoden and many more.

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 07:58:44 AM »

Wild ARMs really wasn't revolutionary. The big thing it had going for it was its Western theme (especially since it actually stuck to it for the first couple of games, unlike another series that wanted to do a different genre but lacked the balls to go through with it that shall remain nameless) and a few other specific features like puzzle solving dungeon items.

That said, a JRPG taking a non-Generic Fantasy Anime theme alone was worth the price of admission in those days, and the games are still fondly remembered because they didn't bail on it. Hell, a lot of classic JRPGs were ones that did away with the Generic Fantasy Anime shtick. Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma, Xenogears, Phantasy Stars 1-4, Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, Parasite Eves 1 & 2, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics (not the Advance games), Chrono Trigger/Cross, Megaman Legends, Suikoden and many more.

Parasite Eve had one amazing OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9MG3PIzk-g

Ditto Illusion Gaia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KelnHjOateU

Ah screw it, there are so many good games there I would just end up doing this forever. Anyway, they're still worth the price of admission to be honest, more or less... many people have just never really played them the first time around.

By the way on the "many more" I'd definitely like to include Breath of Fire series because wow, Breath of Fire.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:13:20 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »

Ditto Illusion Gaia

Ah screw it, there are so many good games there I would just end up doing this forever. Anyway, they're still worth the price of admission to be honest, more or less... many people have just never really played them the first time around.

By the way on the "many more" I'd definitely like to include Breath of Fire series because wow, Breath of Fire.

I was listing games that weren't set in a 'Generic Fantasy Anime' setting like Breath of Fire 1-4, most Final Fantasies, every Dragon Quest, both Lunars, every Tales of Game ever, the Lufia series, the Mana series, the SaGa series, the Zelda series and so on (there are a number of good games included in the above, but its usually in spite of the 'Generic Fantasy Anime' setting barring the rarely well done exception (like Zelda 2)).

That said, Breath of Fire V was also a game that does not have a 'Generic Fantasy Anime' setting which is why it bombed upon its initial release yet has held up better than any other BoF game since (because the fanbase simply wanted yet another yearly iteration instead of something different, BoF 6 is the penance for that sin).

Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »

Ditto Illusion Gaia

I like Parasite Eve a hell of a lot but it came out a generation too early. HEAR THAT SQUEEEENIX THIS IS THE GAME YOU SHOULD REMAKE.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »

I like Parasite Eve a hell of a lot but it came out a generation too early. HEAR THAT SQUEEEENIX THIS IS THE GAME YOU SHOULD REMAKE.

I'm not sure killing a baby would be socially acceptable in the world of today.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 05:23:20 PM »

So yeah I see it's been covered that we're all excited Yasunori Mitsuda is doing the OST good good.

Anyway I was reading some more about it, I think this is become my most anticipated.. perhaps.. don't want to get too excited of course.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:19:35 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »

So yeah I see it's been covered that we're all excited Yasunori Mitsuda is doing the OST good good.

Anyway I was reading some more about it, I think this is become my most anticipated.. perhaps.. don't want to get too excited of course.

This is the one where everyone was like "That gameplay video turned me off big time" and I was like "Whatever, pre-judgey people" and then I saw the gameplay video and thought "This gameplay video just turned me off big time".

I'm hoping things are very different in the final product.

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »

This is the one where everyone was like "That gameplay video turned me off big time" and I was like "Whatever, pre-judgey people" and then I saw the gameplay video and thought "This gameplay video just turned me off big time".

I'm hoping things are very different in the final product.

I think it looked pretty interesting, naturally, with changing my avatar to it and all.

I don't even know when it's coming out though.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:14:18 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: