Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 12, 2016, 11:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377389 Posts in 15102 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  LR:FFXIII to Steam -- the trilogy is here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LR:FFXIII to Steam -- the trilogy is here  (Read 602 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:41:33 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/4104.html

For all you PC-only folks. This is cool.

Why?

Because XIII-2 and LR:XIII are both, individually, better than XIII. Combined, XIII-2 and LR:XIII tell an incredible story (IMO). And the music. Oh my, the music.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:01:54 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/4104.html

For all you PC-only folks. This is cool.

Why?

Because XIII-2 and LR:XIII are both, individually, better than XIII. Combined, XIII-2 and LR:XIII tell an incredible story (IMO). And the music. Oh my, the music.

Why did we need a new thread for this? There's at least three other threads you could've posted this in.

Also, XIII-2 is the worst of the trilogy due to the combination of nonsensical plot (by FFXIII's standards), milquetoast protagonists (again by FFXIII's standards), the most busted-ass combat system and the shoehorned-in nature of the standard JRPG trappings (Chocolina is an obnoxious character in general and made worse by having her be the game's storefront, almost all of the sidequests are fetchquests with almost completely meaningless sideplots that involve a Paradox causing something or someone to get misplaced, I've never seen more horribly forced and poorly implemented puzzle segments in a JRPG (and I've played Beyond the Beyond and Lufia: Ruins of Lore) and several locations, just like everything else in the game, felt more like they should've remained scrapped (I'm looking at you Academia, Science Tower Level and Noel's Home Time)). The optional endings are the only good part of the game (since that's probably the point where the Devs stopped taking this setting seriously).

Say what you will about XIII-1, at least it was heavily (and definitely too) engineered to make you use the combat system and the plot wasn't retconning its immediate predecessor ten minutes in (though not to say that it wasn't conveniently dropping plot points into the waste bin in order to tell its ham-handed tale either; because it did do that, and so did the other games in the trilogy).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
IhaveFURY
Rocker, roller, and out-of-controller.
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:10:45 AM »

I had fun with all three games, but I'd have to agree that XIII-2 was the worst of the bunch.

The best part of Lightning Returns was how quickly they resolved Caius/Noel's plot at the end. "Hey, here are all the other characters come to save the day, plus Noel for some reason... Oh, hey, Caius let one of the Yeuls free so they can be happy. Why he didn't do that to begin with, we'll never know. Yay?"

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:25:34 AM »

Odd, I actually think XIII-2 is the strongest of the lot and 1/LR would've been much better if they'd been structured around that instead of that super bleh plot it had (LR didn't even had a plot, that was the equivalent of a writer wanking himself over a job (not) well done; even more painfully so than the Russel T. Davis finale of Series 4 Doctor Who).

The comedic approach actually worked quite well, more reminiscent of classics like V and IX. The idea that you need to take a setting 'super seriously' to the point where it just bogs itself down in lore and pointless melodrama is how you wind up with things like LR, or The Dark Knight Rises.

Irritatingly it's one of those things where I 'could' write up pages about where all the faults lie, how they could've been overhauled, ect., ect. but it isn't even one of those things where it's 'so bad you get steamed up about it'. Aside from XIII-2 everything was just...bleh and life sapping. Apathy generating. Couldn't even finish 13-1 and LR was the longest case of "...is it over yeeeeet? ;_; " that I only slogged through because XIII-2 had redeemed the concept so well.

That said, nothing wrong if you do enjoy them though. You enjoy your slushie, I'll enjoy my shake. <3
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:27:28 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »

I'll enjoy my shake. <3

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:02:20 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »

Never understood the disdain for Noel. Wasn't anything special but he was a far, far cut above the derp-muffin that Snow was, in any of his incarnations. Was honestly hoping they'd have the common sense to kill him off so that Serah could go that route instead. Alas, like Lightning, the worst of the cast list gets free passes for everything in that series.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »

Never understood the disdain for Noel. Wasn't anything special but he was a far, far cut above the derp-muffin that Snow was, in any of his incarnations. Was honestly hoping they'd have the common sense to kill him off so that Serah could go that route instead. Alas, like Lightning, the worst of the cast list gets free passes for everything in that series.

Also, Snow was legit, the best part of XIII-2, and getting rid of him would be like getting rid of that one crazy chick from noted video game From the Abyss (unless you bought the DLC/Chronobind).

Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »

I liked him too (doesn't hurt that he wasn't bad on the eyes, meanwhile Snow looked and acted like a giant prick in the 13-2).  A bit of a shame, Snow was definitely my favourite looking character too, but then he opened his mouth and some of the most stereotypical JRPG garbage (even by JRPG standards) started pouring out.  Noel I think was better off, daresay, for being way more bland in comparison (and with a pretty decent backstory).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 12:15:09 AM »

Say what you will about XIII-1, at least it was heavily (and definitely too) engineered to make you use the combat system

Yeah, it had a great combat system ... when using three characters. In two-player mode it was painful and annoying. And, oh, that's what you're stuck with for like, 10 of the 13 chapters.

XIII-2 and LR:XIII ape the above combat system with their own changes (Serah and Noel fill slot 3 with a monster, Lightning is essentially 3 characters in one).

Also, why make a new thread? I didn't see any topics in the first list of pages, and there was a news article on the front page ... it'd been a long time coming for LR to get a Steam release, I thought it was worth posting about.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 05:54:12 AM »

Say what you will about XIII-1, at least it was heavily (and definitely too) engineered to make you use the combat system

Yeah, it had a great combat system ... when using three characters. In two-player mode it was painful and annoying. And, oh, that's what you're stuck with for like, 10 of the 13 chapters.

XIII-2 and LR:XIII ape the above combat system with their own changes (Serah and Noel fill slot 3 with a monster, Lightning is essentially 3 characters in one).

Also, why make a new thread? I didn't see any topics in the first list of pages, and there was a news article on the front page ... it'd been a long time coming for LR to get a Steam release, I thought it was worth posting about.

True dat. But at least its better than ending a random encounter that drops a monster that essentially removes any sort of challenge for the next two areas, and then you do it again in the next area, and again, and again.... No matter how many characters you field after that, the game never really puts up much of a fight outside of the optional crap.

Basically, none of these games are good, but LR is the 'best' of the three, followed by XIII-1 and finally XIII-2.

As for not making redundant threads, you have the General FF thread for FF related subjects that aren't worth an entire thread for. There's also the Misc. Gaming News thread in General Discussion for your catch all, and here's the last FFXIII trilogy is on PC thread (granted its on Page 4 of this board, but these pages are pretty short anyways and there tends to be a thread for almost everything even remotely RPG related (and a few that really aren't like Virtue's Last Reward 3 or an SD3 Fan Movie)).

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »

I have Lightninig Returns on PC and OMG, its a good port. It runs smoothly, it instantly recognizes my old non-360 controller, and has some decent graphic options including higher resolutions.

Its like the team that did the port actually knows how to program for windows. Amazing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: