Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 10, 2016, 06:02:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377126 Posts in 15097 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky  (Read 112245 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: October 24, 2015, 02:25:04 AM »

the image used on the news page of this site for this game isnt actually from this game. its from legend of heroes trails of cold steel.

anyways would it be hard to jump into this game without having played the first one?

Unfortunately, this game is a direct continuation of the first game. Admittedly, there's only like three events that occur that are actually relevant to this game's plot, but you'll miss out on all the world building that went down in the first game. In short, FC's the wind-up, and SC's the pitch.

That said, mechanically, there's a few advantages returning players will receive compared to fresh players, but they're so minor that you can live without them (the most meaningful would be getting a few extra starting levels on Estelle, but the difference is hardly game changing anyways due to Exp Scaling).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: October 24, 2015, 03:32:42 AM »

would it comparable to playing arc the lad 2 without playing the first one or worse?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: October 24, 2015, 05:06:31 AM »

You should play the first one or don't bother.

I'd highly recommend playing the first though if you want a good story.
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2015, 07:41:37 AM »

Yup. It picks up directly after the ending of the first game, which was a massive cliffhanger. You can easily enjoy Arc 2 without Arc 1, but I don't feel the same would be true here.

kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: October 24, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »

Agreed with everything said, and not to mention, Arc 1 was just a 8-10 hour game that didn't have much story in it to begin with, whereas the first TiTs was already equivalent to Arc II in terms of length and storytelling. Basically, imagine if Arc I and II were actually one combined game and that it was just the first half of an even larger story, with the succeeding game being the real story and even longer than the previous game. That should tell you what you're in for, though it also means that, yes, you should really play the first game if you can.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: October 29, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

Game's out.

Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

GOG Link: http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky_sc_the

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--!!!
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: October 29, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »

W-w-w-whaaaaaaaaaaaat!?  *runs to Steam*

Current RPG - Xenoblade Chronicles X
Sillypeach

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: October 29, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't find the story on the first one that great? I played it last year when it came out on steam. I remember  everyone  saying how good the story was from when it came out on PSP, so when I played it I was expecting something really amazing and it just...wasn't. Just typical JRPG stuff, and not a lot else. (Really, the bit with the private school was the most ridiculous and pointless part of that game. Why would a school hire children (okay, I know they are a bit more then regular kids) from outside to act in their play. It was just... bizarre. Especially principle roles! Anyone that knows anything about school plays know they go the fastest.  I know the Japanese audience loves school settings but really, you've got to have a better reason put one in there then that.)

I will probably play this one, as I didn't hate trails, but with all the trouble poor Xseed had translating it, you've got to wonder if it was really worth it. 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:29:27 PM by Sillypeach » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: October 29, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't find the story on the first one that great? I played it last year when it came out on steam. I remember  everyone  saying how good the story was from when it came out on PSP, so when I played it I was expecting something really amazing and it just...wasn't. Just typical JRPG stuff, and not a lot else. (Really, the bit with the private school was the most ridiculous and pointless part of that game. Why would a school hire children from outside to act in their play. It was just... bizarre. Especially principle roles! Anyone that knows anything about school plays know they go the fastest.  I know the Japanese audience loves school settings but really, you've got to have a better reason put one in there then that.)

I will probably play this one, as I didn't hate trails, but with all the trouble poor Xseed had translating it, you've got to wonder if it was really worth it.

Well for one, you're basically playing the JRPG Police (Cadets) for FC, but also because much of FC is spent on world building for the shit that goes down in SC (which as it happens, is why everyone's excited to finally get their hands on SC).

FC was the PSX era equivalent of Disk 1 where you're running across the world map largely on foot and hitting up most of the areas of interest and getting everybody's backstory. SC is effectively Disk 2 where you finally get the Airship and start unlocking the really fun toys and can actually start backtracking and seeing how things might have changed along the way.

That said, the school stuff was silly, but between the Police Academy training, the fact that your characters spent the better part of three months working undercover and the usual conceit of being in a video game, it isn't entirely surprising to get roped into a play. It helps that the chapter concludes with a sequence basically lifted out of Miami Vice.

Anyways, time for me to take a sabbatical from this thread until Steam's next big sale.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: October 29, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't find the story on the first one that great?

Nope. I found Trails FC to be incredibly average.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: October 29, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't find the story on the first one that great? I played it last year when it came out on steam. I remember  everyone  saying how good the story was from when it came out on PSP, so when I played it I was expecting something really amazing and it just...wasn't. Just typical JRPG stuff, and not a lot else. (Really, the bit with the private school was the most ridiculous and pointless part of that game. Why would a school hire children from outside to act in their play. It was just... bizarre. Especially principle roles! Anyone that knows anything about school plays know they go the fastest.  I know the Japanese audience loves school settings but really, you've got to have a better reason put one in there then that.)

Well for one, you're basically playing the JRPG Police (Cadets) for FC, but also because much of FC is spent on world building for the shit that goes down in SC (which as it happens, is why everyone's excited to finally get their hands on SC).

FC was the PSX era equivalent of Disk 1 where you're running across the world map largely on foot and hitting up most of the areas of interest and getting everybody's backstory. SC is effectively Disk 2 where you finally get the Airship and start unlocking the really fun toys and can actually start backtracking and seeing how things might have changed along the way.

That said, the school stuff was silly, but between the Police Academy training, the fact that your characters spent the better part of three months working undercover and the usual conceit of being in a video game, it isn't entirely surprising to get roped into a play. It helps that the chapter concludes with a sequence basically lifted out of Miami Vice.

Anyways, time for me to take a sabbatical from this thread until Steam's next big sale.

That's basically it. As Aeolus has also said, 'FC is the windup, while SC is the pitch'. However, what I think makes Trails truly great and engrossing is less the story itself, (or at least with FC,) and more how that story is told. The characters are well written and likeable, while the story has plenty of room to breathe, and the fine details that might have been glossed over in some other RPG's are covered nicely here. FC's story may be cliched and 'average', but it's the telling that makes it enjoyable, at least for me. SC however is supposed to take things to a new level, focusing less on world-building and more on actual plot, so maybe you'll have a better impression of that one.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: October 29, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »

All I know is that GOG is offering a $10 discount is you buy both Trails games, so I think I'll go there instead of Steam.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:29:31 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: October 29, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »

What a fucking piss to get this game on the Vita.

> Save file on the PSP is like as 100% as I'll make it (sans a few recipes or whatever).
> Have to transfer the save from PSP to PC
> Have to transfer the save from PC with PSV's Content Manager (separate download)
> You need to have a PSP SAVE STATE on the PSV for the Content Manager to recognize it can copy files (so I played FC's long intro to save it)
> Good it works!  FC 100%  save transfer a-GO.

> SC is released
> Not in the "New Releases" section for some reason
> I can't download it because I need digi-funds
> I can't download it because I need to sign in (even though I'm signed in)
> My password is wrong... ok, try again, still wrong
> Reset password
> Try password, wrong again...it's not.  And I'm still "logged in".
> Go to Sony Account over Chrome
> Can't add funds because my Credit Card info is expired
> Add new card
> Can't add funds because my Credit Card info is "incorrect" (it isn't)
> Go JUST Paypal route, no Credit Card
> Can't add funds with PayPal because my Credit Card info is "incorrect"!!!!!!  WTF.

> Sign in over PS3, buy 'Trails in the Sky SC' on THERE.
> Finally!  It appears on the Vita Downloads List....
> Error Can't Download, Error Code NP-9962.  
FUCK FUCK WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
> Reset Vita, works fine, credit card don't work still, but my 'workaround' did to at least show it up in the Downloads list (since PS3 stuff appears in the PSV).
> Download....
> Not enough space....
> Delete shit, we're good....like a half hour and cold soup later. :(
That last bit isn't as bad...but after everrything else, it was a cherry on a turd cake.

And I usually don't complain about this shit, but MAAAAN it's like they went OUT OF THEIR WAY so I couldn't play.  I'd have gone PC in a motherfucking heartbeat if not for Vita being great for long trips.

FINALLY playing.  It's nice after waiting for four years we get to pick up where the story left off.... a few hours after FC finishes. x)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:38:36 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: October 29, 2015, 11:41:37 PM »

What a fucking piss to get this game on the Vita.

> Save file on the PSP is like as 100% as I'll make it (sans a few recipes or whatever).
> Have to transfer the save from PSP to PC
> Have to transfer the save from PC with PSV's Content Manager (separate download)
> You need to have a PSP SAVE STATE on the PSV for the Content Manager to recognize it can copy files (so I played FC's long intro to save it)
> Good it works!  FC 100%  save transfer a-GO.

> SC is released
> Not in the "New Releases" section for some reason
> I can't download it because I need digi-funds
> I can't download it because I need to sign in (even though I'm signed in)
> My password is wrong... ok, try again, still wrong
> Reset password
> Try password, wrong again...it's not.  And I'm still "logged in".
> Go to Sony Account over Chrome
> Can't add funds because my Credit Card info is expired
> Add new card
> Can't add funds because my Credit Card info is "incorrect" (it isn't)
> Go JUST Paypal route, no Credit Card
> Can't add funds with PayPal because my Credit Card info is "incorrect"!!!!!!  WTF.

> Sign in over PS3, buy 'Trails in the Sky SC' on THERE.
> Finally!  It appears on the Vita Downloads List....
> Error Can't Download, Error Code NP-9962.  
FUCK FUCK WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
> Reset Vita, works fine, credit card don't work still, but my 'workaround' did to at least show it up in the Downloads list (since PS3 stuff appears in the PSV).
> Download....
> Not enough space....
> Delete shit, we're good....like a half hour and cold soup later. :(
That last bit isn't as bad...but after everrything else, it was a cherry on a turd cake.

And I usually don't complain about this shit, but MAAAAN it's like they went OUT OF THEIR WAY so I couldn't play.  I'd have gone PC in a motherfucking heartbeat if not for Vita being great for long trips.

FINALLY playing.  It's nice after waiting for four years we get to pick up where the story left off.... a few hours after FC finishes. x)

Honestly, none of this surprises me. Considering just what unholy hell XSeed went through translating the game, it's only fitting if you have to go through unholy hell trying to get it installed. Having it any other way just wouldn't be proper. :P

In other news, I got through the 'prologue' which, much like the first game, is rather darn long for a mere 'prologue'. Anyway, it was a nice start to the game, following up on the cliffhanger that FC ended on, while also giving us a taste of what's to come. If the 'prologue' is any indication, then we aren't in Kansas anymore. Compared to FC, SC's going to be a darker, more intense, and more action-packed experience, though it still retains the same great writing from FC. It's also going to be FREAKING TOUGH at times, as there's an  insane boss battle just before you reach the 4:00 mark, which swallows you up and eats you for breakfast. (At least the new boss theme is kickass though.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:52:13 PM by kkhohoho » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: October 29, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »

Dice, if you think that's hard I just spend the last 2 hours trying to get it to work under Linux through wine and got absolutely nowhere.

OK, I realize that's not exactly a supported method, but I read several claims about FC running "flawlessly" under wine with very little effort.  So I figured if FC worked so well, why not SC...nope, can't even get through the installation.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: