Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334784 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky  (Read 67505 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »

I thought both "I could" and "couldn't" care less meant essentially the same thing: a lack of care, whichever way you read it.

No, one of them is correct and the other is an annoyingly common mistake.  Still, a lot of people make that mistake and language evolves, blah blah blah...personally I will fight it till the day I die.  But I'm the kind of person who insists on proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization even in text messages.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »

Who set the standard for the saying?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »

Who set the standard for the saying?

Knowing the English language? Probably Shakespeare. http://www.cracked.com/article_15859_10-words-phrases-you-wont-believe-shakespeare-invented.html

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »

Haha I'm not really trying to make a point; but I do think it's a silly think to argue about... or, should I say, much ADO about nothing? Hohoho!

I'd like to see it as a more optimist way of the phrase!  Like "I care a bit, but I could, less-so."

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »

Come on, one of the forms makes no logical sense at all.  "I couldn't care less" means you care so little that it's not possible for you to care any less.  "I could care less" means...what?  It might mean that you care a lot.  It's not really saying anything.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »

Modifying it into something like "could barely care less" WOULD work, in that you're very close to not caring at all. Really though, it's a phrase you need to stop and actually think about what each of those words MEANS rather than treating it as a brainlessly rattled off phrase like "take with a grain of salt". There's also several pictures online illustrating the difference between "could care less" and "couldn't care less".
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:30:01 PM by Eusis » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »

I don't understand the dislike for couldn't care less. Isn't that the correct way, as one could physically not care any less for something, even if one tried? I mean, could care less would allow more room for your disdain, but then again, that'd be a weak insult to begin with. I don't see how either would be incorrect in use, unless you obliviously made the wrong choice in use, such as I couldn't care less about Mass Effect 2 on PS3, I have it on 360. Could care less would be nonsensical at that point, because you do care.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about any other PSP game right now, LoH:Tits is the shit.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »

I don't understand the dislike for couldn't care less.

I think most people don't dislike that, they just don't know better or formed a bad habit. The only reason I can see liking "could care less" more is that they simply like how it rolls of the tongue and FUCK the fact it isn't correct.

Anyways, I've realized just how bad this game can be about missable content! For anyone who wants to know what to hit for max BP look here. I've decided to retrace a few hours of progress to catch a quest and book I missed.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/933329-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/58733287

Let's make a certain reviewers day! :D

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

I approve of this post and link!

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:28 AM »

So I just watched the opening for the 2nd and 3rd titles in the series, and I gotta ask, what the hell was with the first PSP iterations (I know, not the first in the series, I understand that). Who really thought that releasing those piece of shit 16 bit era rejects would have been an intelligent idea for bringing in sales? I mean for fucks sake, The first TITS title was released in 2006, and I know they made one of the first psp LoH games around that year in the US, so what the hell? This saddens me that it took that long to see one of these here without me having to learn moonspeak to play it.

I look forward to the day when we, the generation of video gamers, take over as the developers, the localization workers, the translators, and overall the ones in control of the industry. Maybe our experience as the ones who wanted the games will pave the way for more games from overseas that during yesteryear would never have seen the light of day.

TASTY!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »

So I just watched the opening for the 2nd and 3rd titles in the series, and I gotta ask, what the hell was with the first PSP iterations (I know, not the first in the series, I understand that). Who really thought that releasing those piece of shit 16 bit era rejects would have been an intelligent idea for bringing in sales? I mean for fucks sake, The first TITS title was released in 2006, and I know they made one of the first psp LoH games around that year in the US, so what the hell? This saddens me that it took that long to see one of these here without me having to learn moonspeak to play it.

I look forward to the day when we, the generation of video gamers, take over as the developers, the localization workers, the translators, and overall the ones in control of the industry. Maybe our experience as the ones who wanted the games will pave the way for more games from overseas that during yesteryear would never have seen the light of day.

The first three PSP LoH titles were ported onto the system by Namdai and subsequently brought over by them. Trails in the Sky was released on the PC back then and would've needed to be ported over. Apparently though Namdai didn't see the need to do so since the other games didn't do so well. That said, they are decent games, albeit ones with horrible PSP ports because Namdai was just throwing whatever JRPG offering they could easily cram onto the platform for easy scratch just like everybody else was doing at the time (seriously the PSP was better known as the Port Station Portable until recently). Thankfully Falcom themselves are handling the porting to the PSP and have partnered with XSeed for localization purposes.

Also, I guess I should mention that I've started playing this myself.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »

So, yesterday, I beat the game; took me 63 hours to do so. Having beaten it, I can say that...I really liked it, but I wouldn't put it up there with my favorite RPG's; I don't know if this is the case with anyone else, but to me, while the battle-system was good, and there were a fair number of sidequests, Trails in the Sky wasn't all that gameplay oriented; this game's driving force truly was the story, to the point where it felt less like a game, and more like an interactive book, which is actually alright, considering the story was rather good on the whole. But, due to all of this, I don't feel like putting it on my list of favorite RPG's, simply because it doesn't feel like one; even Persona 3 had that RPG feel, whereas, again, Trails in the Sky is more like a book, albeit a book that you play through. So then, if you really like good story and narrative, mixed with some RPG trappings, feel thread to pick this title up and play/read it. ;) (Just don't let the fact that this a portable title fool you; like a good book, you're going to want to sit down for decent chunks of time with this one.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:38:10 PM by badsanta » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: April 10, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

So, yesterday, I beat the game; took me 63 hours to do so. Having beaten it, I can say that...I really liked it, but I wouldn't put it up there with my favorite RPG's; I don't know if this case with anyone else, but to me, while the battle-system was good, and there were a fair number of sidequests, Trails in the Sky wasn't all that gameplay oriented; this game's driving force truely was the story, to the point where it felt less like a game, and more like an interactive book, which is actually alright, considering the story was rather good on the whole. But, due to all of this, I don't feel like putting on my list of favorite RPG's, simply because it doesn't feel like one; even Persona 3 felt had that RPG feel, whereas, again, Trails in the Sky is more like a book, albeit a book that you play through. So then, if you really like good story and narrative, mixed with some RPG trappings, feel thread to pick this title up and play/read it. ;) (Just don't let the fact that this a portable title fool you; like a good book, you're going to want to sit down for decent chunks of time with this one.)

This is a fair review and it makes sense.  Kinda like how you get some restaurants that are more of "a restaurant [the focus] with a bar [secondary feature]" (family diner's with like, 3 beers on tap) or a "bar with a restaurant" (Jack Astor's or something).
I feel this with Trails in the Sky, it's more of a storybook *with* battles than anything else, where say, Star Ocean's are usually hardcore battles *with* a story happening in the back. 

Mind you, I think I've said it a dozen times here, I'm more about gameplay because story's in games aren't nothing special half of the time, but I am pleasantly surprised with this one.  The gameplay can be a drag sometimes (I'm still in "Chapter 1" though, RPGs usually take time to heat up), but for once the story is keeping me hooked on it -- and it's not a bad thing at all.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

where say, Star Ocean's are usually hardcore battles *with* a story happening in the back. 

Yes, ones you wish you could forget.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: