Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330104 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky  (Read 64666 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »

There's quite a bit of gameplay if you chase after the sidequests, but without those it's fairly lean, I don't even recall going through many long (required) dungeons.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »

So, yesterday, I beat the game; took me 63 hours to do so. Having beaten it, I can say that...I really liked it, but I wouldn't put it up there with my favorite RPG's; I don't know if this is the case with anyone else, but to me, while the battle-system was good, and there were a fair number of sidequests, Trails in the Sky wasn't all that gameplay oriented; this game's driving force truly was the story, to the point where it felt less like a game, and more like an interactive book, which is actually alright, considering the story was rather good on the whole. But, due to all of this, I don't feel like putting it on my list of favorite RPG's, simply because it doesn't feel like one; even Persona 3 had that RPG feel, whereas, again, Trails in the Sky is more like a book, albeit a book that you play through. So then, if you really like good story and narrative, mixed with some RPG trappings, feel thread to pick this title up and play/read it. ;) (Just don't let the fact that this a portable title fool you; like a good book, you're going to want to sit down for decent chunks of time with this one.)

I think  I read somewhere that one of TiTs translators (Jess, I think) referred to this game exactly as you described. So I sort of knew the deal before I dived in.

I'm still in chapter 2, with tons of sidequests to muddle through.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2011, 12:11:27 AM »

So far I'm finding the gameplay to be more of the "if you don't pay attention, you'll be resetting the next battle" or at least I did until I got to the second road and saw just how badly this game wanted me to take it over my knee and break it in half. Seriously, you put the game's equivalent of DQ's Metal Slimes out in the middle of the third area with enemy encounters, and given the way that encounters work in this game, make them effortless to find, and provide an easy means to dispatching at least one of them per encounter? By the end of the first chapter I nearly have both Estella's and Joshua's orbgrids maxed out and they're both at least level 14 apiece. And I'm not even trying to break the game. I just save up my S-Breaks then whenever I visit that road (which is frequently given what missions send you out that way) I make sure to stop by that area and at least half of the time there they are, ripe for the picking. And then of course there's that in battle bonuses that make enemies shed extra gems when hit. Apparently, it works on attacks with multiple hits, and S-Breaks hit multiple times. That one fight netted me 70 gems in each element. All 7 of them. That's 490 individual gems in a single fight, never mind the 400 experience total (whereas everything else is lucky to net me 6-15 gems and up to 4 experience total per fight).

This game just wants you to break it so badly it's boarderline masochistic.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2011, 01:13:10 AM »

I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and haven't felt that way at all, Aeolus.  I've just been playing normally and haven't lost a single battle.  The game seems pretty easy, really.  I haven't felt the need to do anything to 'break' it.  I tend to keep my S-Breaks in reserve but then end up not using them at all.  I did run from one fight early on but it was a monster-in-a-box that I wasn't expecting and clearly wasn't prepared for.

And the game seems to actively discourage grinding since if your level gets too high for the enemies you're fighting they barely give you any rewards.

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »

There's also retry offest; when turned on, if you lose a fight, it will be easier when you retry it, and you can keep doing this over and over again until it gets easy enough for the party you have. You don't have to use it though. (Although I would suggest it for the final bosses. The first fight is pretty tough, the following one even more so, and after that...let's just say that you want plenty of revival items. If it wasn't for retry offset, I don't know what I would've done. (And it doesn't help that the whole thing took me well over an hour and a half...))
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:15 AM »

I just beat it. XSeed did a fantastic job localizing this. All the characters' dialogue is entertaining, which is good, because there was a LOT of dialogue in this game. Took me fifty hours to get through. Had great plot twists, the music was fantastic, and that cliffhanger...

I don't want to spoil anything, but that cliffhanger really left me wanting the Second Chapter out here as soon as possible. This was worth the wait.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »

Yeah I really love this game.

There were a few translation/text screwups though such as "Brithday" and the non-breaking (aka going to the next line of the dialogue else it will be cut by the screen) text.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »

With games with so much text, it's pretty easy to have a typo and mistake here and there.  Even SquareEnix's and Nintendo's better localizations sometimes have problems.  For example, in TO PSP off the top of my head I can think of three typos in weapon names, and one flat out mistake in dialogue (Gladius instead of Glacius in the "final" epilogue battle).

For such a small company it's forgivable.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »

Best rarely-in-RPGs feature thus far: efficient elevator!  Love it.

Cute hot spring scene... JRPGs just have to have 'em, huh?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »

Beat it last night -- wonderful plot twists....

Code:
~Weismann, the [now] evil blue headed fucker, I kinda saw coming.  His new facial portraits were disturbingly evil looking... he had so many versions for an angry face...
~Joshua's story was a great final reveal, again, you kinda see it coming, but it was definitely in like with that "the game has cliches but dodges their full effect" with interesting dialogue, character interplay, and twists.  Actually, to me, Joshua's final "BS"-bomb was the biggest surprise of all haha.  Poor kid.
~Estelle is the sweetest; I love her character portraits, and her embarrassed one is so cute.  Her actually confessing surprised me, but it buttered up the girl inside of me
~The *final* mission, after the final boss was a cute touch. =P  Olivier was a great character
~Fucking Cassius Bright, clearly the man is a god, no one could accomplish that much!  It made Colonel Richard's reasoning for his evil plot kinda lame, but it definitely opens the plot for something bigger.
~I clocked in at almost 61 hours... I'm ashamed to say that I did graze over a ton of in-town text... a lot of it dragged on, and Joshua and Estelle feel that need for "full introductions" with each new job they do
~I also like how the final chapter loves throwing money at you
~The last dungeon sucked ass, and all previous dungeons didn't get you ready for it...
~I want SC right the fuck now.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:46 AM »

Beat it last night -- wonderful plot twists....

Code:
~Weismann, the [now] evil blue headed fucker, I kinda saw coming.  His new facial portraits were disturbingly evil looking... he had so many versions for an angry face...
~Joshua's story was a great final reveal, again, you kinda see it coming, but it was definitely in like with that "the game has cliches but dodges their full effect" with interesting dialogue, character interplay, and twists.  Actually, to me, Joshua's final "BS"-bomb was the biggest surprise of all haha.  Poor kid.
~Estelle is the sweetest; I love her character portraits, and her embarrassed one is so cute.  Her actually confessing surprised me, but it buttered up the girl inside of me
~The *final* mission, after the final boss was a cute touch. =P  Olivier was a great character
~Fucking Cassius Bright, clearly the man is a god, no one could accomplish that much!  It made Colonel Richard's reasoning for his evil plot kinda lame, but it definitely opens the plot for something bigger.
~I clocked in at almost 61 hours... I'm ashamed to say that I did graze over a ton of in-town text... a lot of it dragged on, and Joshua and Estelle feel that need for "full introductions" with each new job they do
~I also like how the final chapter loves throwing money at you
~The last dungeon sucked ass, and all previous dungeons didn't get you ready for it...
~I want SC right the fuck now.

Code:
Completely agreed for the most part, ESPECIALLY the last comment. Feels like it's been a while long time that I am this excited and impatient for another installment. It has flaws, but so what, it's a blast.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »

I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and haven't felt that way at all, Aeolus.  I've just been playing normally and haven't lost a single battle.  The game seems pretty easy, really.  I haven't felt the need to do anything to 'break' it.  I tend to keep my S-Breaks in reserve but then end up not using them at all.  I did run from one fight early on but it was a monster-in-a-box that I wasn't expecting and clearly wasn't prepared for.

And the game seems to actively discourage grinding since if your level gets too high for the enemies you're fighting they barely give you any rewards.

Yeah the game is pretty easy.  I got game over twice but it was just some bad luck/simple mistakes both times.  I like that running from battles actually works in this game.  Not like some games >_>

I will say though that the last area is pretty annoying and the chest monsters there take way too long to kill (and there are like 17million of them).  I seriously think that is my least favorite part of the game.  It's such a generic ass dungeon and the battle theme there isn't as good as the normal one either. 
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2011, 01:11:24 AM »

Yeah the game is pretty easy.  I got game over twice but it was just some bad luck/simple mistakes both times.  I like that running from battles actually works in this game.  Not like some games >_>

I will say though that the last area is pretty annoying and the chest monsters there take way too long to kill (and there are like 17million of them).  I seriously think that is my least favorite part of the game.  It's such a generic ass dungeon and the battle theme there isn't as good as the normal one either. 

I love the option to run away freely, I hate being punished for not anticipating a tough fight, and game over's suck dick when you saved a while back.  Commonly, player "restructuring" is all you need to fix a battle up.

I realized what made me want the 2nd Chapter to bad: the fact they end it on a cliff hanger to even bigger things is a dick move. =(

Ita_gs

The Friendly Deer

kurapicakurapica@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »

I have finished the game a week or so ago (50 hours or so). I was pleasantly surprised; it's one of the games that, despite its few flaws and overall not having the greatest presentation out there, managed to remind me why I liked JRPGs in the first place.
Can't wait for the next installment.

Neglected.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

Just bought the game today (for 38), I got the premium edition so I have on my bracer badge and I'm turning it on for the first time! :D

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: