Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 07:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331659 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky  (Read 65732 times)
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: October 01, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »

TBH I'd prefer it if the original voice acting was kept with subtitles, since I love some of the voice actors for the game judging from the trailer.

Great news. Hope we do see this series come to the US.

Edit: A Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky OAV is coming out this fall. I'd have loved if it was a whole tv series, but this is still better than nothing. I hope it's good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYgjabz1I4
Not me.  If there is one thing I can't stand is watching scenes spoken in a language I can't understand.  I would prefer poor acting in English over great acting in Japanese if it means I can understand the dialogue.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: October 01, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »

blah blah blah

Xenophobe much? I on the other hand would rather take voice acting that's either good or bad that I couldn't understand any day over bad voice acting I could understand, or at least have the option to skip through the voices if they're bad, which I almost always do anyway since I would rather read than listen.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: October 01, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

I take either and like an option.  Always fun to hear how both languages decide to represent a character.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:02 PM »

blah blah blah

Xenophobe much? I on the other hand would rather take voice acting that's either good or bad that I couldn't understand any day over bad voice acting I could understand, or at least have the option to skip through the voices if they're bad, which I almost always do anyway since I would rather read than listen.

maybe he hates reading (subtitles I mean)
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: October 01, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »

That is a significant part of it.  The other reason is that I want to experience the spoken dialogue in my own language and not a foreign one.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 02, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »

Not me.  If there is one thing I can't stand is watching scenes spoken in a language I can't understand.  I would prefer poor acting in English over great acting in Japanese if it means I can understand the dialogue.

How far are you willing to go there? Personally I generally don't mind dubs if they're good, nor do I mind it being subtitles only if that's what it takes to bring a game/show/film over at all, and I always like the extra touch of a made up language, but I find outright REFUSING to get a product you'd otherwise be interested in because they didn't dub to be absurd, especially when it comes to made up languages.

But I also prefer reading and am getting annoyed at how no VA is seen as a bad thing period.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2011, 12:22:40 AM »

A game being subtitle only isn't enough to make me not buy it.  While my preference is English language spoken dialogue, for games to have the dialogue not localized, it isn't a deal breaker.  I certainly won't turn down a great game over the lack of English voices.

I would be less tolerant of passive forms of entertainment like animation and film, however.  I can tolerate subtitles for games, but not for film and television.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 02, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »

I definitely think that's case by case. Films, with one huge exception due to setting and consistency issues, I'd prefer subtitles because how jarring it is to see lips not properly synchronized with the VA, but animation's detached enough from reality that anything short of a botched job (like in Xenogears) is going to be about as believable as the original language. Especially in the case of anime where they usually have a stock mouth moving animation that isn't realistically synced with VA at all anyway.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: October 02, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »

But I also prefer reading and am getting annoyed at how no VA is seen as a bad thing period.

Me too, lack of voice acting is never a big complaint for me. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: October 02, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »

Me too, lack of voice acting is never a big complaint for me. 

Yeah, I read much faster than people can talk, anyway.  Heck, sometimes even if a game has voice acting I am speed reading the dialogue fast enough that the VAs don't even have time to start saying their lines before I've already moved on.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 02, 2011, 01:49:07 AM »

Yeah, I read much faster than people can talk, anyway.  Heck, sometimes even if a game has voice acting I am speed reading the dialogue fast enough that the VAs don't even have time to start saying their lines before I've already moved on.

Same here, sometimes they get a word out and I'm ready to move on. I get REALLY annoyed with games that force a slow text crawl to match with VA as a result: the human brain can read faster than you listen, and the people who just want to skip without reading/watching are only going to be annoyed by this shit! It's even worse with stuff like Dissidia's prologue/epilogue things, because it's not even good writing or new information we're waiting on.

Speaking of which, I hope Bioware tracks the time people take to skip VA in their games, rather than "did they/didn't they?" since some people may simply be reading faster than they speak and AREN'T zooming by just to get to more shooting.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:53:05 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: October 15, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/14/whats-going-on-with-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second-chapter/

Go buy this game, assholes!! >=(

It'd be a dirty...dirty ...dirty ass shame to miss out on the 2nd title.  I don't know why, but it'd be a real dick move to be left with the ending to the first one only. =/

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: October 15, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »

Damn it! It didn't sell well so now the 2nd installment is being held hostage. Part of this on Xseed though, If it wasn't for RPGFan I would never even known this game existed.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: October 15, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

Check this out!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/09/14-1/video-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-ova-trailer

LOH as an anime.... I'm not sure whether to be excited at the prospect, or discouraged by some of the "game to anime" adaptation blunders in the not so distant past... Interesting regardless though.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 15, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »

Previous installments always have to sell a certain amount to make the next installment financially worthwhile - or even feasible. This isn't just Xseed either - that's why we're not getting Valkyria Chronicles 3 from Sega. (Still, it's likely especially true for small companies like Xseed.) It's not hostage, it's economics. JRPGs like Trails are not cheap to do with lines and lines and lines of text to translate.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: