Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319284 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky  (Read 58910 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: December 02, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »

^Dreaming and giving yourself false hopes are two different things.

Yeaah.  I'm sorta just sad we've heard dick all about developments entirely.  I'll take it on PC, I'll take it as a digital-only copy, fuck, just anything.

WHY DID THEY LEAVE IT ON A CLIFF HANGER>>>>> AAAUUUUUGGGGHHH

I feel like I always get bitten in the ass by trilogies.  I really should make it a habit not to buy the first one until the second is at least on the horizon of being released.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 02, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »

We faced the catch 22 however that either everyone bought the first to get the second out (yeah there's a third game, but that's more of an encore/bridge to the next set of games), or everyone waited on the second game to be out before buying only to never see it. At least we have spoilers in this case, and while not a faithful adaption there is that anime.

At least it's something MEANT to be big, rather than like a lot of newer games that seem to end in a cliffhanger for the sake of being open for a sequel and being a franchise, even if they could've made it a complete damn game in the first place.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: December 02, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »

^Dreaming and giving yourself false hopes are two different things.

I'm a fan of both.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »

We faced the catch 22 however that either everyone bought the first to get the second out (yeah there's a third game, but that's more of an encore/bridge to the next set of games), or everyone waited on the second game to be out before buying only to never see it. At least we have spoilers in this case, and while not a faithful adaption there is that anime.

At least it's something MEANT to be big, rather than like a lot of newer games that seem to end in a cliffhanger for the sake of being open for a sequel and being a franchise, even if they could've made it a complete damn game in the first place.

At least it's better than "Hey! Let's make a six game series and then proceed to not even finish one of them before getting horribly derailed." and "Let's stretch one game into four games and call it a series.".

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: December 03, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »

WHY DID THEY LEAVE IT ON A CLIFF HANGER>>>>> AAAUUUUUGGGGHHH

That cliffhanger saved the game for me at the end. It was all well and good until then, but near the end of the game it was like it was TRYING to make me not like it. First you had to go through a sewer level to get to the last dungeon. Then near every chest is monsters. And for some reason physical attacks started to be ineffective, monsters would interrupt you if you tried to cast anything and it just became a chore of building up your limit break over and over. I ended up looking up a map and skipping half the dungeon as I made a straight line for the boss, avoiding all enemies and treasure in between. Killed boss1, boss2 seemed pretty strong and had a ton of health. I realized if I could win the fight it would take way too damn long, went to youtube and watched the ending.

And the ending was so great the bad taste of the last dungeon was wiped away completely.

I just played the game last month though so I don't know the pain of waiting near 2 years with no SC in sight. But I suspect I will. Two years from now.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: December 03, 2012, 02:38:50 PM »

And for some reason physical attacks started to be ineffective

What?  Pretty sure I was heavily using physical attacks all the way 'til the end.  In fact I don't know how you would manage without them, since special moves that affect turn order and stuff are so important.  There are occasional enemies that are resistant to physical attacks but it's not the norm.

I actually rather liked TitS's final dungeon.  Big and meaty, with challenging enemies.  But I guess I'm sadistic like that.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: December 03, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »

And for some reason physical attacks started to be ineffective

What?  Pretty sure I was heavily using physical attacks all the way 'til the end.  In fact I don't know how you would manage without them, since special moves that affect turn order and stuff are so important.  There are occasional enemies that are resistant to physical attacks but it's not the norm.

I actually rather liked TitS's final dungeon.  Big and meaty, with challenging enemies.  But I guess I'm sadistic like that.

Yeah, I agree.  Something in your setup was off.  I blew through the sewer part pretty easily. No need for limit breaks when Joshua's a killing machine with his regular attack arts. His mind eye art (i think that's the name) obliterated every enemy that had the misfortune of being in his little red circle of doom.

As for the part I bolded, I second that.  Interrupting, delaying, and/or focus firing the monsters that's going to cause a problem is the name of the game.  I know some of the reviews said they didn't like the battle system or maybe they found it boring, but I definitely liked it for the most part once the game got going.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:20:58 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: December 03, 2012, 05:07:06 PM »

I know some of the reviews said they didn't like the battle system or maybe they found it boring, but I definitely liked it for the most part once the game got going.

Totally agree.  The battle system is a bit slow in the beginning when you don't really have a lot of options, but towards the end of the game I found it quite enjoyable.  In fact I have a hard time naming a traditional turn-based (non-SRPG) JRPG battle system I like more.  There's really a lot of depth to TitS's system.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: December 03, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »

The battle system is really good I thought.  It's not especially innovative but it takes some things from other games and uses them well together to make for an enjoyable combat system.  I didn't like the last dungeon because it was very generic and boring looking and didn't really have cool gimmicks or enemies either. 
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »

I know some of the reviews said they didn't like the battle system or maybe they found it boring, but I definitely liked it for the most part once the game got going.

Totally agree.  The battle system is a bit slow in the beginning when you don't really have a lot of options, but towards the end of the game I found it quite enjoyable.  In fact I have a hard time naming a traditional turn-based (non-SRPG) JRPG battle system I like more.  There's really a lot of depth to TitS's system.

I don't think you can defeat the "white-haired-mystery-intruder" unless you have that impenetrable earth magic shield thing.  Honestly though, Zane is the fucking man.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »

I remember that boss.  IIRC, tried to beat it using normal tactics and it wasn't happenin'. There were a few hard bosses in the game that came to mind as far as difficulty goes.  Stuff like the Lighthouse fight just because of the pure damage the enemies put out, The two final Colosseum battles, and there was another one I was thinking about, but forgot.

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: December 07, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter HD Edition announced for PlayStation 3 -- Source: Gematsu

"The enhanced port will feature high-definition graphics and sound, save data compatibility with the PSP version, a single Blu-ray disc (versus the PSP versionís two UMDs), and other goodies, including the DRM-free, 44-song original soundtrack, custom themes and illustrations, and calendar wallpaper.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter HD Edition will launch for PlayStation 3 in Japan on April 25, 2013 at 4,830 yen. A high-definition remaster of the first game, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky HD Edition, is due for PlayStation 3 in Japan next week, on December 13."

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »

Well fuck.

This will solve the problem of the PSP edition pretty quickly.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 07, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

Well fuck.

This will solve the problem of the PSP edition pretty quickly.

Assuming SCEA don't block it based on visual quality or lack of trophies anyway.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »

Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: