Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:08:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331698 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider!  (Read 18394 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »

I need to share my thoughts on the Tomb Raider trilogy that was just released for the PS3. I played Legend and Anniversary on the PS2 and Underworld on PC back when they were released so I was curious to see how they would hold up, I enjoyed them a lot back then.

First thing I want to mention is the existence of a launcher that allows you to switch between games without existing to the xmb, it's the first collection to have this feature.

I started with the oldest game, Legend. The game holds up well, you can tell it's an old game but it looks nice in HD. It was a really good reboot of the franchise back then and is still a joy to play. The motorcycle sections are nothing to write home about but they didn't bother me. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

Since Underworld is a direct sequel to Legend I decided to save the best (Anniversary) for last and go with it next. Unfortunately I was very disappointed, I had no idea the PS3 version was such an atrocity, it's a very beautiful game but that's all it has going for it. You can tell that they tried to take the gameplay to another level and though some new moves like the sprint and the new ways to make use of the grappling hook are welcome, the lack of polish in the way Lara interacts with the environment and even in her animation, destroy it completely. You never feel really in control of her. Combat feels even worse than in the previous games, now she can aim at 2 targets simultaneously when wielding the dual weapons but it only causes the camera to spin uncontrollably from target to target, it's nausea inducing. The camera isn't any better during platforming, it's like it's trying to kill you. Sometimes it's looking in the opposite direction of where you need to jump, forcing you to jump blindly and hoping that Lara will grab on to something.
The frame-rate is borderline unplayable, the game can become a slideshow in some areas with Mexico being the worst offender.
It's a shame that such a beautiful game with a fantastic atmosphere (it really is breathtaking sometimes) is ruined by poor design decisions. The motorcycle sections are back and are way more furstrating than in Legend.
But the worst thing are the bugs, not only did they force me to reload my save in order to be able to progress (a door was somehow replaced by a solid wall) but the game actually freezes the PS3 in the last level. It got to a point where I wondered if I would be able to complete the game. The fact that they didn't fix this for this re-release is unacceptable. the first time it happened I actually thought my PS3 died.
Finally, you can't explore the mansion, one of my favorite features of the other 2 games.
This is up there with enslaved in the biggest wasted potential category of this gen.

So with a bad taste in my mouth I move on to Anniversary. To put it simply, it's brilliant. Don't expect it look like a PS2 game either, you can tell that a lot of attention went into this port, Lara in particular looks really good. As for the game itself it's considered the best TR ever for a reason, it's a joy to play. Exploring these fantastic locations, especially now with the improved visuals, puts it among the best action adventure games of this gen, despite being a last gen game. That's how well it holds up.

One thing all 3 games have in common is Keeley Hawes, the voice of Lara Croft. She is PERFECT, she fits Lara like Nolan North fits Drake.

Bottom line, this collection did it's job of getting me hyped for the new game. Please bring Keeley Hawes back.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »

I hope they keep the exploration in this.

I don't want any fucking arrows or glowing things telling me where to look.

I'm so fucking tired of that shit.

I wish I had this for item's I've lost.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »

Fear Effect >>>>>> Tomb Raider.

Never liked the Tomb Raider series. So dull.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »

I really don't see where that came from, they're completely different games. That's like coming into a Resident Evil thread and saying Super Mario Galaxy >>> Resident Evil.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »

Starcraf 2 > MLB the Show 2011
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »

I really don't see where that came from, they're completely different games. That's like coming into a Resident Evil thread and saying Super Mario Galaxy >>> Resident Evil.

Fear Effect and Tomb Raider aren't quite as different as comparing SMG with Resident Evil.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »

Fear Effect and Tomb Raider aren't quite as different as comparing SMG with Resident Evil.

That's irrelevant, there's just no point, it's completely random. Where are you coming from with this statement? Why Fear Effect? What does that have to do with anything? You could say that you feel TR is obsolete since uncharted's release for example, but Fear Effect? I just don't see your point.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »

You see CDFN, the problem here is that everything that Sise-Neg says is a supernova of truth.

...he's pretty hilarious too. :I
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »

That's irrelevant, there's just no point, it's completely random. Where are you coming from with this statement? Why Fear Effect? What does that have to do with anything? You could say that you feel TR is obsolete since uncharted's release for example, but Fear Effect? I just don't see your point.

Just like that guy in the ME thread, I hate when people do that.

Between this and his Fear Effect thread maybe Sise-Neg has a few copies of of Fear Effect for sale on ebay is trying to rally interest thus driving up biding prices
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:39 AM »

Fear Effect:Inferno was canceled after Eidos lost money making a poor selling Tomb Raider game. It's my...personal grudge.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 04:15:09 AM »

Fear Effect:Inferno was canceled after Eidos lost money making a poor selling Tomb Raider game. It's my...personal grudge.

Oh, OK. You could've said so, I seriously doubt anyone would've been able to figure that out.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »

Tomb Raider - New Info and More Coming

It has been years since I bought the last Hobby Consolas, now I have an excuse to buy it again, that is if I find any copy of the magazine out there... sometimes this things are in sale in my country like 3 months late (or never).

One thing is certain, dat poster is going to be mine.

Also, I should mention that Hobby Consolas is a very old gaming magazine from Spain with good reputation. I have some old stuff in some boxes, and one in the closet... with a guide of FFXII and a very good interview and poster of Devil May Cry 4. Good stuff.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »

Tomb Raider - New Info and More Coming

It has been years since I bought the last Hobby Consolas, now I have an excuse to buy it again, that is if I find any copy of the magazine out there... sometimes this things are in sale in my country like 3 months late (or never).

One thing is certain, dat poster is going to be mine.

Also, I should mention that Hobby Consolas is a very old gaming magazine from Spain with good reputation. I have some old stuff in some boxes, and one in the closet... with a guide of FFXII and a very good interview and poster of Devil May Cry 4. Good stuff.

I used to buy it too when I was kid, great mag.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 05:38:09 AM »

Check this thread on the TR forum for all the info published in a french mag (lot's of gameplay pics):

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=180784

Looks awesome, I'm really excited for this one.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:39:49 AM by CDFN » Logged

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »

I don't know about this. It could be good, but I like the original games, hope they don't stray too far from the formula. Skimming through a single page of that topic reminded me how obsessed people can get. Makes me want to have a look if Something Awful still does the "weekend web".

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: