Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319686 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Any really good recent RPG soundtracks worth picking up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Any really good recent RPG soundtracks worth picking up?  (Read 4021 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »

Looking for new rpg soundtracks. Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:48:44 PM by Anime & RPGl and » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »

BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY~!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »

Meh.

Nier's was of course excellent (an arrange version out soon).  The upcoming Kingdom Hearts portable collection will be great.  FFXIV's came out not too long ago if you like Sakaguchi.  Tactics Ogre's came out, some nice symphony pieces, and a good "songs of war" styled stuff.  And Okami-den's came out too I think, good if you like that old Japanese sound.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »

Meh.

I know, I know. :P

*Ahem* I recommend Nier and Tactics Ogre (PSP) sountracks, every track in those albums are worth your time and money. And like Dice said, the arrange album of Nier is going to come out soon, so keep an eye for that one.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

Meh.

Nier's was of course excellent (an arrange version out soon).  The upcoming Kingdom Hearts portable collection will be great.  FFXIV's came out not too long ago if you like Sakaguchi.  Tactics Ogre's came out, some nice symphony pieces, and a good "songs of war" styled stuff.  And Okami-den's came out too I think, good if you like that old Japanese sound.

Meh? That album is fucking amazing, except for mass destruction which is very similar to the original all songs have been given completely new arrangements and they're incredible. Have you even heard the album?

My advice to the OP, check out Nier, FFXIII and the "meh" album.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »

Meh.

Meh? That album is fucking amazing, except for mass destruction which is very similar to the original all songs have been given completely new arrangements and they're incredible. Have you even heard the album?

My advice to the OP, check out Nier, FFXIII and the "meh" album.

Its personal I guess.  I hate whats-her-name's (sorry, her name leaves me for a moment) attempt at English when there are PLENTY of reasonably good English singers in Japan; her voice is at it's best when she's singing Japanese, which is rare.  Shuhei Taka's pieces make my ears bleed.  The jazzed-up Burn my Dread is great and The Battle for Everyone's Soul is a nice take on the velvet room piece...  I can't justify it's purchase otherwise.

Not exactly new, but the Unlimited Saga OST apparently got a reprint... get it if it's not sold out.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »

P3's OST is great in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-APBltcNKuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhArt4yKg9c&feature=related

Two good tracks. P4's soundtrack is just as good, if not better.

Any Dragon Quest OST is a good option if you're into classical pieces.

Breath of Fire:Draqon Quarter has an amazing OST. Pick that up immediately.

Get the Digital Devil Saga OSTs and Nocturne as well. You can't go wrong with those.

"Oh, a hunter..."
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

Infinite Undiscovery. It's an average game, I know. But the soundtrack is really good. Typical Motoi Sakuraba works that you simply can't go wrong with.

Tales of Symphonia also has an awesome soundtrack, if that's 'recent' enough.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »

Recent, as in this year recent.
Nier
Xenoblade
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV field and battle soundtracks
God Eater
Etrian Odyssey III
Persona Live DVD (did not like the cd)

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »

What? I played over 200 hours of Persona 3 and I don't remember that the original song being as catchy as the arrangement of the "Live" version.

Infinite Undiscovery. It's an average game, I know. But the soundtrack is really good. Typical Motoi Sakuraba works that you simply can't go wrong with.

The soundtrack of Infinite Undiscovery doesn't have your typical Sakuraba smashing the instruments like in the Star Ocean soundtracks. Hell! That's why I like the IU soundtrack more (but just for the record, I like some tracks in SO3 and 4), it sounds like actual enjoyable music and the only other composition by Sakuraba that can come close to that is (maybe?) Valkyrie Profile.

Persona Live DVD (did not like the cd)

I didn't enjoy the DVD(s) too much to be honest and I don't know why (I love the music of the series) except for the musical arrangement of "The Almighty" and watching Meguro and Lotus Juice on stage (those dancers in the first DVD where all over the damn place though).
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »

Part of our Yearly awards will feature my personal "top 5" OSTs and a separate list for top 5 arranges.

Expect most of the items listed here to be on there, as well as some most people aren't paying attention to at all.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 11:50:09 PM »

*insert any Falcom album here* Can't go wrong with Ys OSTs especially. :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48:09 AM »

*insert any Falcom album here* Can't go wrong with Ys OSTs especially. :p

I'll say that anybody that begins to hear Falcom music has to be warned about The Legend of Heroes soundtracks, those albums (in general) are pretty avarage for an JRPG. But some tracks are amazing.

Like this one for example. Of all the games though, this one is my personal favorite.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »

As amazing as Nier's soundtrack is turning out to be. FFXIII is one of my alltime favorites, not just of the year. I liked the OST better than the game itself.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »

Yes, FFXIII OST is amazing...I've listened to it all and love it. Still haven't played the game, but from what I hear I'm not missing anything much.

Where can you buy official Ys soundtracks? I've checked cdjapan.co.jp and they don't seem to have any...is that possible? I thought they had everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: