Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:02:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Any really good recent RPG soundtracks worth picking up?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Any really good recent RPG soundtracks worth picking up?  (Read 4470 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »

Most of the old stuff is probably out of print.  Your best bet for old Ys soundtrcks would probably be Amazon Japan. GameMusic.com used to be awesome for getting Osts.

Yes, FFXIII OST is amazing...I've listened to it all and love it. Still haven't played the game, but from what I hear I'm not missing anything much.

Where can you buy official Ys soundtracks? I've checked cdjapan.co.jp and they don't seem to have any...is that possible? I thought they had everything.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Ys-I-II-Chronicles-%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9/dp/B002SSA39A
be warned... the shipping prices absolutely rapes

edit: added information.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:29:20 AM by Chronix112 » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »

Falcom themselves DO ship internationally.

Music CDs here:

http://www.falcom.co.jp/cd/index.html

Some instructions on how to order here:

http://falcomcdcatalog.heroku.com/order

(the page seems outdated: they cite "cocoebiz" when it's vgmworld now, for example... but this method still works IIRC. I used it to get Oath in Felghana on PC when it was on sale for $10).

If someone wants to confirm that that email address... order_h19@falcom.co.jp ... is still good, go for it. Be warned, S&H is going to be steep no matter what.

Though you might be thinking "Falcom only has new stuff, right?" About 15% of their total discography from King Records has been reprinted internally and they still sell it. And by 15%, I mean 50% of the really good stuff. If you want to get into Falcom, I say order direct!

Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »

Falcom themselves DO ship internationally.

Music CDs here:

http://www.falcom.co.jp/cd/index.html

Some instructions on how to order here:

http://falcomcdcatalog.heroku.com/order

(the page seems outdated: they cite "cocoebiz" when it's vgmworld now, for example... but this method still works IIRC. I used it to get Oath in Felghana on PC when it was on sale for $10).

If someone wants to confirm that that email address... order_h19@falcom.co.jp ... is still good, go for it. Be warned, S&H is going to be steep no matter what.

Though you might be thinking "Falcom only has new stuff, right?" About 15% of their total discography from King Records has been reprinted internally and they still sell it. And by 15%, I mean 50% of the really good stuff. If you want to get into Falcom, I say order direct!
Thanks alot for this information.l will be picking up that live DVD. One of my favorite guitarists has been doing guitar work for JDK band.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:16:43 AM by Chronix112 » Logged
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »

I received that Falcom live dvd today. I  ordered it from amazon jp, because I just did not feel comfortable with sending my credit card information to someone by email.The dvd  itself is awesome, about a hour 20 minutes of Ys/Legend of Heroes music, most of which coming from the later games. Besides a few mistakes here and there mainly by the rhythm guitarist, the musicianship is exceptional . There are some vocal songs on the set list. I thought songs with male vocals were pretty good, but the female vocals  were only so so. The highlight of the DVD was the encore version of "To Make End of Battle" I  Would definitely recommend it to any Falcom fan.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 02:01:09 AM »

Got to listen to Radiant Historia today.  Wowie-zowie!  It is excellent!  It sounds like Yoko...which can be good, it can be bad - but on he bright side it is the best of her "style" worked in here.  I just wonder what she'll do for the mature looking FFVersus, her "fairy tale" style is perfect. (haha I made a typo on "fairy" and put "farty tale"...yeah).

Speaking of female composers... I miss the Wild Arms composer, Naruke, with all my heart....

Chronix : Falcom is awesome, a live performance sounds amazing!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 02:34:32 AM »

Got to listen to Radiant Historia today.  Wowie-zowie!  It is excellent!  It sounds like Yoko...which can be good, it can be bad - but on he bright side it is the best of her "style" worked in here.  I just wonder what she'll do for the mature looking FFVersus, her "fairy tale" style is perfect. (haha I made a typo on "fairy" and put "farty tale"...yeah).

Speaking of female composers... I miss the Wild Arms composer, Naruke, with all my heart....

Yeah, Radiant Historia is surprisingly awesome. I would recommend you check out her music for "Last Ranker" too. That one really blew me away. I have high hopes for Vs XIII's soundtrack (the game itself, well ... we'll see).

As for Michiko Naruke. I miss her dearly as well. I wonder if she'll ever get back to doing what she does best. Really, I don't think she was built for the "music factory" massive quantities of music that other composers do. If she could get away with writing one hour of good music per year, I bet she could do that. But compare that to Shimomura, or to powerhouses like Sakuraba or Sakimoto ... you get the idea. I believe Naruke herself said she took a diminished role in WA3 and WA4 because of health issues. This is the same thing Mitsuda said when he started to get really bogged down circa 2003. For musicians, "burnout" is a dangerous thing for your career and your body.

Also, if you're wondering what Naruke has done recently, she arranged those piano solo tracks on the Lunar: SIlver Star Harmony bonus disc, and she's done some more arrange work in 2010. Furthermore, she stated the following in an interview on 1Up (conducted by an ex-colleague of mine named Jeriaska):

1UP:  In closing this conversation on the subject of your music, what goals are you currently pursuing with your upcoming videogame score?

Naruke: First of all, I'm working very hard on this one.  This top secret project is an RPG, a genre that I earnestly hope will survive the natural selection processes of the game industry. I donít want role-playing games to become a relic of an earlier time.  For people like me who love RPGs, rest assured that I will do my best to support this category of game.

So... that's kind of a big deal. Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9044415

ANOTHER female composer I really miss is Noriko Matsueda. There's another story of burnout. A friend of mine. Chris Greening of SEMO, writes this:

Matsueda subsequently worked on 2004's acclaimed Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission and her three arrangements of the Final Fantasy X-2 Piano Collection. Written with the intention of leaving a legacy, Matsueda decided to leave the gaming industry immediately afterwards to the distress of her friends Shimomura and Eguchi. Her intensive job brought sleeplessness, loss of appetite, sharp weight decreases, and rough skin and Matsueda found this increasingly affected her with age; the reception towards Final Fantasy X-2 was the last straw. She currently resides in Japan living a relatively quiet life, but continues to listen to and play music as a hobby and actively follows her former colleague's careers.

Source: http://www.squareenixmusic.com/composers/matsueda/biography.shtml

It's really a shame. If people could do game music at their own pace instead of at the schedule demanded by the publisher, we'd have better music (if less music) and less people dropping out. Maybe someday Matsueda will "come out or retirement" and just take small arrangement jobs like Naruke has been doing the past year.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »

Yeah, Radiant Historia is surprisingly awesome. I would recommend you check out her music for "Last Ranker" too. That one really blew me away. I have high hopes for Vs XIII's soundtrack (the game itself, well ... we'll see)

I enjoyed more the music from Last Ranker than Radiant Historia personally, but no one can deny that both albums are pretty impressive. I still wonder how she is able to make so much music though.

Also, someone has heard The 3rd Birthday soundtrack already? There's some fine tracks by Shimomura in that album too, but the one that did the best tracks (in my opinion) was Mitsuto Suzuki.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 03:04:09 AM »

Yeah, Radiant Historia is surprisingly awesome. I would recommend you check out her music for "Last Ranker" too. That one really blew me away. I have high hopes for Vs XIII's soundtrack (the game itself, well ... we'll see)

I enjoyed more the music from Last Ranker than Radiant Historia personally, but no one can deny that both albums are pretty impressive. I still wonder how she is able to make so much music though.

Also, someone has heard The 3rd Birthday soundtrack already? There's some fine tracks by Shimomura in that album too, but the one that did the best tracks (in my opinion) was Mitsuto Suzuki.

I felt that way when it came to "fan-favorite" Uematsu.  I thought he was the weakest link on the FFX album.

Thanks so much for the interview, Ramza!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 03:35:42 AM »

Chronix : Falcom is awesome, a live performance sounds amazing!
It really was an awesome concert. The two vocalist are really silly, and the time during the break had me a laughing even with my limited knowledge of Japanese. There was only one downer and that was Dragon drive. They let the guitarist who normally handles the rhythm play lead and he really botched it. A picture of one of vocalist posing beside the lead guitarist.

Yeah, Radiant Historia is surprisingly awesome. I would recommend you check out her music for "Last Ranker" too. That one really blew me away. I have high hopes for Vs XIII's soundtrack (the game itself, well ... we'll see).

As for Michiko Naruke. I miss her dearly as well. I wonder if she'll ever get back to doing what she does best. Really, I don't think she was built for the "music factory" massive quantities of music that other composers do. If she could get away with writing one hour of good music per year, I bet she could do that. But compare that to Shimomura, or to powerhouses like Sakuraba or Sakimoto ... you get the idea. I believe Naruke herself said she took a diminished role in WA3 and WA4 because of health issues. This is the same thing Mitsuda said when he started to get really bogged down circa 2003. For musicians, "burnout" is a dangerous thing for your career and your body.

Also, if you're wondering what Naruke has done recently, she arranged those piano solo tracks on the Lunar: SIlver Star Harmony bonus disc, and she's done some more arrange work in 2010. Furthermore, she stated the following in an interview on 1Up (conducted by an ex-colleague of mine named Jeriaska):

1UP:  In closing this conversation on the subject of your music, what goals are you currently pursuing with your upcoming videogame score?

Naruke: First of all, I'm working very hard on this one.  This top secret project is an RPG, a genre that I earnestly hope will survive the natural selection processes of the game industry. I donít want role-playing games to become a relic of an earlier time.  For people like me who love RPGs, rest assured that I will do my best to support this category of game.

So... that's kind of a big deal. Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9044415

ANOTHER female composer I really miss is Noriko Matsueda. There's another story of burnout. A friend of mine. Chris Greening of SEMO, writes this:

Matsueda subsequently worked on 2004's acclaimed Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission and her three arrangements of the Final Fantasy X-2 Piano Collection. Written with the intention of leaving a legacy, Matsueda decided to leave the gaming industry immediately afterwards to the distress of her friends Shimomura and Eguchi. Her intensive job brought sleeplessness, loss of appetite, sharp weight decreases, and rough skin and Matsueda found this increasingly affected her with age; the reception towards Final Fantasy X-2 was the last straw. She currently resides in Japan living a relatively quiet life, but continues to listen to and play music as a hobby and actively follows her former colleague's careers.

Source: http://www.squareenixmusic.com/composers/matsueda/biography.shtml

It's really a shame. If people could do game music at their own pace instead of at the schedule demanded by the publisher, we'd have better music (if less music) and less people dropping out. Maybe someday Matsueda will "come out or retirement" and just take small arrangement jobs like Naruke has been doing the past year.

Its a real shame with Naruke. I really enjoyed her Wild Arms work. I also miss other female composers seem to have all but disappeared....
Miki Higashino Suikoden composer
Fumie Kumatani who composed Nights into Dreams 
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »

Yeah, it's not really Shimomura's soundtrack anymore. She did like, 10%, and Suzuki did over half of it. It's a Mitsuto Suzuki soundtrack with help from Sekito and Shimomura.

And IMO it's a good soundtrack, Mitsuto Suzuki is boss.

Cloudsorrow256

Dont pretend to think what you do, just do it...

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 10:11:23 PM »

yes i know, Lost Odyssey its not a recent game, but if u havent played it, i strongly believe u must and the Soundtrack....just one word......Marvelous!!!!

"A Neverending journey."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 11:36:21 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/go2010/pat.html

You'll note that in my personal list I included top 5s for OST and Arranges.

So those are my recommendations. :)

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »

Saw some love for Naruke in here and had to join in. I miss her work, it was outstanding! I'm a Shimomura fanboy myself, and am ALSO in love with the Last Ranker and Radiant Historia OSTs lately.

3rd Birthday wasn't too bad ether, but I think it would have been better if they had cut about a third of the songs and spent more time on the rest. Got a little repetitive after a while, I thought.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »

Some new soundtracks that I bought from 2010:

Opoona
Tactics Ogre
The 3rd Birthday
Xenoblade
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Piano Collections
Dead Rising 2

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 08:28:42 PM »

What do you think of Opoona? Review coming shortly on this site; I like it lots.

And didn't you *win* that instead of buying it? ^^

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: