Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319265 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What headphones do you use?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: What headphones do you use?  (Read 7805 times)
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 02:56:37 AM »

@Azrael The Audio Technica ATH AD 700 adjust with the wings to fit your headsize so you don't have to adjust them.
They were designed to not clamp anywhere and be very comfortable some people complain because I think they want to headbang with them on and then they start moving or flying off.
Go try on a pair of Sennheiser 280 with its head squeezing clamp grip and you'll THANK Audio Technica for their design.

As for build quality I think its well made. If you left it on the ground to be trampled on or slam them on the ground they might break. But if you treat them right I think they'll last for a long time.

I personally own a pair and although they sound good out of the box.After some good burn in/use time the SQ got much better.

At $100 and under price mark.
I also like the Shure SRH 440.There is a deal going on at this electronics website called  www.jr.com doing a phone order and you can score them for $69.99. Another thing I like about them is Shure's warranty and customer service is very good 2 years on them when bought at a authentic dealer like jr.com  
And then it has a replaceable cord which is one of the biggest things that can break on a headphone.
There is also replaceable earpads.
The only con for them is the stock pads are a bit stiff hard. The SRH 840 pads are much better nicer and very soft you could buy them as replacements

At a place like this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRH840Earpad/

@Chronix112 -cheap headphones are pretty badly built and pretty terrible sounding.
Good headphones can last a very long time with proper care.
I've never had any of my headphones break on me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:06:45 AM by nonoyes » Logged
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »

I use a pair of Sennheiser earphones (MX360) on my iPod when I'm out and about. Used to use a chunky pair of Skullcandy headphones at home but someone sat on them and they broke so I've been in the market for a new one over the last few months.

My sister (who broke the old ones) uses a pair of Bose around-ear headphones. She tells me they're really good but I don't find them to be very comfortable so I just might get a different model from Bose. I'm not a hardcore listener but I do love my music so I don't mind splurging on headphones.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »

Bose are terrible headphones to buy for the money.BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

You can get some really great sounding headphones for $100 or less.

The absolute best deal I know of right now is. Shure SRH 440 at www.jr.com $69.99 with a phone order if you live in the USA or Canada.

But is there anything you want from a headphone besides good sound?
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »

Nope, just great sound. :P

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Shure. I was interested in AKG for a while because I heard they were pretty sturdy (and I'm a clumsy person) but I'm not so sure how comfortable they are. Right now I'm using my brother's Sennheiser headphones (HD 218).

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 04:50:24 PM »

Bose are a joke. They're sorta like the Rolex of sound equipment. They cost a lot, and to people who aren't in the know, they're "THE BEST". But once you get to the point where you're knowledgeable enough to actually be buying something high-end, you should know better. Real watch connoisseur's don't buy Rolex, and real audiophiles don't buy Bose.

I will say this, they did quite a bit of pioneering in small-enclosure acoustics. But rarely do people really NEED speakers to be that small, there are commonly much better options that are a lot cheeper.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »

Real watch connoisseur's don't buy Rolex, and real audiophiles don't buy Bose.

I'm sure some real watch connoisseurs buy Rolex. Or at least own one. :P

But I get what you mean in regard to Bose. I don't know much about headphones and relying on my sister, who only marginally knows better, probably isn't a good idea. I'm glad I posted here.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »

Build quality, comfort, and convenience are always important as well, I think you'll find.

With low build quality, you won't be using them very long (like my old Senns). With low comfort or convenience, you'll find yourself subconciously NOT using them, and that's just as bad as not owning them at all, right? You can have the greatest sound quality in the world, but if you're disuade from using them because either they feel bad, impose some kind of inconvenience (like I find with spring-style chords), or they're broken... you're not going to use them.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »

Well you will want a headphone that can run unamped and without a good source since like many I'm sure you use a Ipod or some other MP3 player.

With really good headphones which is the best is subjective since a person could like Model A better than Model B. While someone else prefers Model B over Model A. Kinda like electric guitars there is Gibson,Fender,ESP,Ibanez,Hamer,Dean,Jackson,etc... and some people simply like one over the others.

I don't which AKG you were thinking of the ones that are really talked about AKG 701/702 and AKG 271 are known to need a amp and good source to sound like they should.

Here are some that are considered some of the best headphones around that can run unamped and with a mp3 player.

As to which to get depends on sound signatures you like and it could also depend on genres you listen to.

Shure SRH 440- Neutral sound,good detail,pretty strong bass. -Closed Back   $69.99 at www.jr.com if you do a phone order. Every other place $99.99 usually.
I don't like the stock pads on them I would get replacement SRH 840 pads for them

Audio Technica M50  -Slight treble push,good details.strong bass. -Closed Back  $106.59
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644388-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M50S_ATH_M50s_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html

Sennheiser HD 555 -neutral sound,bigger soundstage than closed,weaker bass than closed.-Open Air   -slight build quality issues
$100.99 from at from amazon.com

Audio Technica Ath AD 700 -slight treble push,massive soundstage,weak bass for some,BIG some don't like loose fit they want a clamp for some reason. -Open Air  $86.44 at from amazon.com

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:17:52 PM by nonoyes » Logged
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »

I have a problem with chunky headphones-- they make me feel really nauseous after a while, which is probably why I've been waiting so long to get a new pair.

The pair I borrowed from my brother (Sennheiser HD 218) doesn't have amazing sound quality but it has sort of flat ear pads that are really comfortable. The only other headphones I know that does this well is the Bowers & Wilkins P5. They're crazy expensive though so I may have to keep searching. Thanks for the links, they'll be handy. :)

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's. Cost me about 400 bucks, but well worth it.

For earbuds I have a 90 dollar pair of Klipsch... can't remember what model they are.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »

Yeah, AKGs need power amps, that's true. I actually got one for Christmas, years ago, and I returned it because I didn't have a headphone amp at the time. Now I do, and I use it exclusively for studio work, so it makes sense for me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

I've got a pair of shitty earbuds from Apple. I used to have an okay pair of over-the-ears from Maxell, before my backpack with my iPod and everything got stolen.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: