Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319703 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Shira Oka
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Shira Oka  (Read 5362 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:43:25 AM »

Shira Oka is a dating sim style game created by indie-developer Okashi Studios, and has been in production for a couple years now. I've been following it off and on since I heard about it a year ago, and it's finally getting released this Friday on Impulse. Pre-ordering gets you 10% off, which I took advantage of. I tried out the demo a while ago, and its pretty solid.

Anyone else been following this game? I know there's a few dating sim/visual novel fans here on the boards, so I thought this may be up some people's alleys.

Also, didn't know if this is the appropriate forum for this topic, since I didn't know if dating sims/visual novels counted as RPGs. I know the site has reviewed some visual novels in the past, but I put it here just to be safe.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »

I'm just eternally waiting on Katawa Shoujo.
And 25$ ? That's costy for an indy dating game.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »

It has really impressive artwork.
I want it :D

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:04 AM »

Just started playing this one. On one hand, the game system is copied from Tokimeki Memorial (a first for English language games). However, the presentation is a bit lacklustre, and the overall experience is currently on the tedious side.

I normally wouldn't pay this much for an indie love sim, but the scope of the project has me intrigued.

It has really impressive artwork.

Conceptually, the art isn't bad. However, as some players have mentioned, there's an unfinished, washed out look to everything. Various character poses are also off-model, although you can't expect the gloss and quality control of a "professional" game.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »

I Would like to give it a try but 25 dollars for a indie game is sales suicide. These indie guys would make alot more sells and not get pirated to death if they would drop their prices a bit.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »

Personally I don't think $25 is that outrageous, especially given that most of the other western-developed indie dating sim games fall around $20. I didn't mind paying for it, since I've been anticipating it for a while.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »

I might have to try out the demo.  Seems like more of a sim (i.e. TokiMemo) than a love adventure (i.e. Memories Off) so that aspect of it interests me. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »

Personally I don't think $25 is that outrageous, especially given that most of the other western-developed indie dating sim games fall around $20. I didn't mind paying for it, since I've been anticipating it for a while.
If  I personally made and  sold one of these games  the price I would ask for is around 15 which is reasonable. 20 -25 dollars is  selling amateur work for professional prices.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »

I'm trying out the demo and man this game is really addicting. It makes me want a Tokimeki Memorial game in English more than ever.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »

I agree.  With all due respect, I admire the effort, but for $25 a pop, you'd think they could "buy" a somewhat better artist.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »

Honestly, I'm not digging the art style much either (character portraits look somewhat rough and amateurish; I like glossy art that doesn't look low-res/pixilated in my PC dating sims/graphic adventures), but the gameplay is addicting.  

EDIT: Other indie/doujin games like Fatal Hearts, Fading Hearts, Recettear and all have much more refined artwork. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:00:19 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »

Honestly, I'm not digging the art style much either (character portraits look somewhat rough and amateurish; I like glossy art that doesn't look low-res/pixilated in my PC dating sims/graphic adventures), but the gameplay is addicting. 
The art is what really rubs me the wrong way, otherwise I'd be all over it, even with the 25$ price tag. It looks just a couple step above some of the flash games I have played.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 11:01:48 PM »

This thing will be FREE (if they ever finish it)
http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:56:52 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »

This thing willbe FREE (if they ever finish it)

I laughed so hard when I first saw that game - I thought it was genius!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 12:25:12 AM »

Not to come off fanboyish, but I didn't mind the art.

One thing that really upset me was (spoilers for the around the end of the 2nd year):

Code:
Kasumi committing suicide.

I understand that this unfortunately does happen in real life, but this game isn't trying to go for absolute realism, considering the whole premise. Up until that point the tone had been very lighthearted and cheerful, and even after the event the game's tone doesn't change at all. It just feels way to out of place, and didn't belong in the game if they weren't going to address the issue with clear focus and attention.

This thing will be FREE (if they ever finish it)

I can't wait for it. I didn't play the demo cause I wanna have it all be fresh by the time it comes out. And judging from the screens I've seen so far it has some of the best artwork I've seen for an indie game.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:47:21 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: