Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319686 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Shira Oka
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Shira Oka  (Read 5355 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »

Part of me is curious about Katawa Shoujo, but another part of me thinks, "Well, I already work at a special needs school for multiply disabled high school  (and behaviorally disordered middle school) kids and see teenage boy-girl melodrama 5 days a week.  Do I really want to do that in a video game?" 

I approve of this nonsense!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »

Part of me is curious about Katawa Shoujo, but another part of me thinks, "Well, I already work at a special needs school for multiply disabled high school  (and behaviorally disordered middle school) kids and see teenage boy-girl melodrama 5 days a week.  Do I really want to do that in a video game?" 

I love this post for many reasons

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 11:34:03 PM »

Part of me is curious about Katawa Shoujo, but another part of me thinks, "Well, I already work at a special needs school for multiply disabled high school  (and behaviorally disordered middle school) kids and see teenage boy-girl melodrama 5 days a week.  Do I really want to do that in a video game?"  

Well, that's a valid point for not playing, but I think the way a game is designed can still make it fun. There's probably enough fiction in there to not make it like reality.
After all, I'm sure some farmers bought Harvest Moon, some lawyers bought Pheonix Wright and some Doctors bought Trauma Center.
These games are just too far from reality to make it look like your doing your day job.

EDIT: supporting proof using Trauma Center - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dB8wBr76Jg
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:36:30 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »

I know, and I pretty much agree, but I've reached a point in my life where my gaming time is limited and I'd therefore rather play something completely and ridiculously far removed from my daily life (which is actually pretty good lately.)  I'm one of those people who would rather play my bass and jam with my real band than play Guitar Hero.   

It's just a personal preference, really. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »

played demo of Katawa Shoujo after reading this thread.

*hated* it.

That is WAY too much text for one chapter, seven days of gaming. They gotta prune that script BIG time.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »

*hated* it.

That is WAY too much text for one chapter, seven days of gaming. They gotta prune that script BIG time.

Erm... I'm going to try and be diplomatic here, but you're saying a visual novel has too much text?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »

*hated* it.

Erm... I'm going to try and be diplomatic here, but you're saying a visual novel has too much text?

Yes. Yes I am. Why are you surprised?

You should have enough text to tell the story, give sufficient background information, and maybe a little bit of decoration to help set the mood (not much is needed on this last part, though, since you have images to aid you in a *visual* novel).

The amount of text here is wildly excessive. The dialogue is slow. The characters take forever to say, essentially, nothing.

I've played enough visual novels to know what makes for a good or bad script. Katawa Shoujo ch. 1 in its current state is a trainwreck of too much text. I suspect it's an issue of "too many cooks spoiling the broth."

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »

If you can throw the complaint at actual books (Wheel of Time infamously) then you can certainly do it for digital equivalents.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »

I just call it author's style.
Some like being wordy, some don't.
You can't ask an author to change his style, you can however stop reading him.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »

Yes you can, they're called editors.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »

Yes you can, they're called editors.

This.

And it's not one author. There's a lead author but clearly it's a group effort on all fronts, including the text.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »

*hated* it.

Yes. Yes I am. Why are you surprised?

You should have enough text to tell the story, give sufficient background information, and maybe a little bit of decoration to help set the mood (not much is needed on this last part, though, since you have images to aid you in a *visual* novel).

The amount of text here is wildly excessive. The dialogue is slow. The characters take forever to say, essentially, nothing.

I've played enough visual novels to know what makes for a good or bad script. Katawa Shoujo ch. 1 in its current state is a trainwreck of too much text. I suspect it's an issue of "too many cooks spoiling the broth."

I remember feeling the same about Ar Tonelico titles.  Especially the "dive" sequenes which end up having little consequence to story other than "female mind problems".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

See, the amount of text you went through an entire girl's Cosmosphere (all 10 chapters) is probably about the same amount of text in the first chapter of Katawa Shoujo. And you're none closer to any of them. I think I made a sum total of 3 decisions in that entire time, too.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

See, the amount of text you went through an entire girl's Cosmosphere (all 10 chapters) is probably about the same amount of text in the first chapter of Katawa Shoujo. And you're none closer to any of them. I think I made a sum total of 3 decisions in that entire time, too.
Seems like they are going for most lines of text in a VN , currently held by the likes of Clannad , Little Busters and Fate Stay Night. All those games are monstrously long. Clannad had over 100k lines total, around 75k lines of that is unrepeated text.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »

Oy, Clannad.

Again, I guess I'd be fine if they want to be long-winded, but do it by making the story go somewhere and telling me something I really want to know. Lots of filler. There's potential if they cut the filler and uh ... finish the game someday. :P

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: