Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334523 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception  (Read 28401 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »

Who would win in a fight, Tecmo's Deception or Drake's Deception?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »

Next year is going to be great.

It's funny, 'cuz I said that about 2010 last year.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

Not trying to be a hater, but I'm not a fan of the Uncharted series.  I really like the idea of these games, but I find them too damn linear and frustrating.  Dying over and over again just because I'm not doing EXACTLY what the developer's want me to do is rather annoying, and really took me out of the experience over the course of the game.  I remember dying on the second wave of enemies on multiple spots just because I wasn't in the specific cover area required to avoid the onslaught.  The tank and train scenes in two nearly cost me a TV (so much rage) because I would try to move to a better vantage point to use a specific weapon and the game would just auto-kill me.  The game wanted me to stand still and use the weapon right there, and wouldn't allow me to play any other way.  Maybe I just suck at these games, but I really don't like dying over and over again on very linear paths.  I honestly found Uncharted 2 more difficult and frustrating than Demon's Souls....

Also, the final bosses in both games are some of the worst designed battles I've seen in this current generation of console games.  Seriously, we go from The End in MGS3 to this?!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 09:30:27 AM »

I honestly found Uncharted 2 more difficult and frustrating than Demon's Souls....

??????

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 09:43:24 AM »

Again, it could be that I just suck at these types of games, but I died so many times in Uncharted 1 and 2 that I just stopped caring.  I grew to accept that I was going to have to die in order to figure out how to get through the firefight.  I just always seemed to be in the exact wrong position. 

"Great, I just killed about 20 armed soldiers with relative ease."

*30 more soldiers hop over the invisible wall right behind me and open fire*

"fuck...."

I do like how the enemies swarm and flank you, but I was sometimes so screwed that there was simply no way I was going to win. 

Also, sitting behind cover and waiting for your health to recover only to have a stray bullet from straight ahead nick and either kill you or send the health regeneration process back to square one caused some of the most colorful language ever uttered by mankind to come out of my mouth.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »

You wouldn't last 2 seconds in U2's multiplayer man. I beat those games on crushing, normal mode is a cakewalk, you can take tons of damage and regenarate really fast, if anything normal should be harder, specially in U2 which is easier than U1.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 10:23:08 AM »

I got through U1 on crushing myself, and while I found it frustrating at times it never reached an absurd level.  I could have just been out of practice in U2, but I found the normal difficulty to be an utter trainwreck (pun intended).  I have no desire to play the multiplayer, either.  The little bit of the beta that I played was just awkward and crazy.  I'm more a fan of the cooperative systems in Left 4 Dead, which U2 has but never held my attention.

I plan on playing through U2 again at some point.  There's a possibility that I was simply in the midst of shooter fatigue, and couldn't bring myself to enjoy U2 because there were so many other games to play at the time.  It was like when I finished Twilight Princess and then tried to play Okami.  I know Okami is awesome, but I just couldn't finish another one of those games because I was already saturated. 

I know I'm in the minority on this one, and I'm happy that so many people like U2.  Guess I just missed out on what everyone else thought was so amazing...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:25:53 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »

I'm surprised that you beat U1 on crushing and found U2 frustrating. You do realize that U2's gunfights are overall shorter and easier right? Those design decisions you have issues with were a lot more pronnounced in U1, it's actually one of the many things where the sequel improved over the original, every review and opinion I've read mentioned it and it's definitely true.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »

I don't think an opinion can be true.  The consensus seems to be that the controls and gunfights are easier, and I would agree that the controls are much better than U1.  I found the enemy placement to be the problem.  I was moving around the battlefield trying to get the best positions on the enemies and could easily kill the first wave.  The second wave would always get me because I was in the absolute worst position as a result of the first firefight. 

Also, the set-piece moments of the game are linear and stiff to the point of snapping under their own spectacle (again, IMO).  You have to do exactly what the game wants you to do, and any deviation from this results in death.  Take the building collapse for example.  I died because I jumped too early in one place, and then too late in another.  I had to hit the jump at the exact right time to survive.  Sure, this makes for a great escape and moment, but it will absolutely rip you out of the experience if you have to repeat this over and over again just to get it right. 

Again, this is all an opinion, and, like I said, I understand that I'm in the minority on this one.  There are certainly improvements from U1, but I also found the game to be frustratingly linear as a result of the developers trying to design the most intense set-piece moments.  They certainly created some memorable scenes, but I prefer games where I can think outside the box and try my own methods in order to achieve success.  That's what I enjoy in games, and possibly the reason why I didn't enjoy U1 or 2.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »

I agree with PaleRobbie, but that doesn't chance the fact that U2 is one of the better games for the PS3.

It's funny, 'cuz I said that about 2010 last year.

Oh yeah, this year was horrible for games.

...you can't please everybody anyway. :/
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »

Since people are talking about difficulty, I wanted to mention that I always play that kind of game on easy. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »

I actually just spent some time with U2 after reading about 3, and I think I nailed what really drives me nuts about this series.  I find Nathan Drake to be one of the most unresponsive and annoying characters to control in a video game.  Everything I do in the game just feels sluggish.  Shifting around cover is always odd, as Drake seems to pick the absolute worst side every time (already died once just because he picked stuck to the wrong side and the camera flipped out).  The jumps all feel awkward and stilted, like my jumps are having a half second after I input the command.  And, perhaps worst of all, after playing with mouse and keyboard for nearly three years I just find the aiming to be awful.  Seriously, aiming in Mass Effect 2 is quick and responsive with the mouse, and the analog sticks are just sluggish by comparison.  PC gaming has really spoiled me when it comes to shooters, and controlling Drake is just not fun to move around the environment.  I've already had my fill of U2 (again) and I haven't even made it out of the first jungle camp.  I can totally say that the aiming is my own damn problem from playing PC games for so long, but the platforming and overall movement in the game just feels terrible to me. 
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 05:40:09 PM »

One of the most unresponsive and annoying characters to control in a video game? Ever? OK... I was going to write something but after 2 miutes staring at the screen I just... wont.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »

I find Nathan Drake to be one of the most unresponsive and annoying characters to control in a video game.  Everything I do in the game just feels sluggish.

I'm not stating that Drake IS unresponsive, I'm saying that I FIND him to be unresponsive.  Seriously, when I play Sly Cooper I feel like I'm in complete control of my character at all times.  Cole in inFamous is another fun character to control, IMO.  Personal preferences, man.  I'm sure some people find L4D or Batman: AA sluggish, but I don't.  It's all about what feels natural to you. 
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »

I never played either of the Drake games. I know they are great, but I'm never in the mood to play them. I'll try my best to get into the third game, but I know for a fact that I'll never play the other two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: