Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334718 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Print
Author Topic: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception  (Read 28462 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »

Just don't expect the same leap there was from UC1 to UC2, that just isn't possible. The best parts definitely top it though. Also don't judge the game by the first few chapters, they are more for tutorial/story purposes, the meat of the game only starts when you get to the chateau. For people who are invested in these characters chapter 2 is a fantastic surprise, really wasn't expecting that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »

I'm bloody sick of of tutorial levels in games, especially franchise games. Dual analog controls have been around forever at this point, and most games are pretty intuitive. And if they're not, they tell you on screen "A to jump" or "L1 and R1" to climb...

Instead of wasting early parts of the game w/ bad tutorial shit they should just have an optional sandbox arena to leap around.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: November 02, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »

The tutorials aren't overly obnoxious, I don't think. It's just some prompting to make sure you understand what to do when, then you're on your own past that.

Just finished the game myself. Holy Jesus Christ that was great. Obviously not the same leap there was from UC1 to UC2, but the game is spectacular. I really can't see any developer getting more out of the current gen consoles, and the story could easily have been transposed into a movie script (though, I suppose it would have to be condensed) and turned out splendidly. Think I'm going to sit back a few days and then play through it again on Hard, which is incredibly rare for me (playing something again so soon, and playing on hard).
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »

Has anyone tried UC3 on Hard yet? I've only ever done UC1 and 2 on Hard (but not Crushing yet), so I'm hoping 3 isn't any different.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »

Has anyone tried UC3 on Hard yet? I've only ever done UC1 and 2 on Hard (but not Crushing yet), so I'm hoping 3 isn't any different.

I was just about to post about that, there are some pretty hard gunfights in the second half of the game, I'm pretty good at this game and I'm getting a run for my money with some of these fights on normal, not looking forward to playing these on crushing.

I'm bloody sick of of tutorial levels in games, especially franchise games. Dual analog controls have been around forever at this point, and most games are pretty intuitive. And if they're not, they tell you on screen "A to jump" or "L1 and R1" to climb...

Instead of wasting early parts of the game w/ bad tutorial shit they should just have an optional sandbox arena to leap around.

Dude, chill out. They're just introducing some of the new mechanics like melee and throwing back grenades, it's very seamless, it just holds your hand a bit before throwing you into these big gunfights which like I said above are pretty tough.

Just played the first chapter of co-op adventure with a friend of mine. So much fun.

HOLY SHIT AT CHAPTER 19!!! Just WOW! I still have 3 chapters to go but I don't expect anything to top this, it's fucking ridiculous!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »

I don't get people who can play through a game like this in a freaking day. When I eventually get it, it will take me, at the very least, a few weeks to play through. Life obligations and all that get in the way. Do you people take time off work or something? Not go to school? I don't get it.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

You and me both, Grim.  You and me both...

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2011, 05:04:58 PM »

I don't get people who can play through a game like this in a freaking day. When I eventually get it, it will take me, at the very least, a few weeks to play through. Life obligations and all that get in the way. Do you people take time off work or something? Not go to school? I don't get it.

I've had the game since Monday and should be done with it tomorrow so that's 4 days, not 1 freaking day. 2-2.5 hours per day. I don't always find this much time on consecutive days but fortunately I've been able to dedicate a couple of hours to this every day. Don't know what's so mindblowing about it, people have different lives.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »

This drives me nuts.  I work at a gamestop, so I see it games returned/traded within the week after they're bought.  We got a 40-50 year old who comes in, with a daughter, and he plays more than I'd even dream to have the time for.  Unless the daughter fends for herself in the wild, or he's a multi-millionaire who has a board of directors making his decisions for a company he made.... *shrug*.

I kinda prefer spreading it out, too.  Ever sat on your ass and played a game almost all day?  I have to shower after it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

My class schedule is pretty light this semester (since it includes some online courses) and midterms just finished up, so I had a lucky break re: time to play. Once I got into it I just had a really hard time putting it down. Generally I agree; in this case, though, the stars aligned and gave me some time to power-play.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »

I find the Uncharted games to be pretty short, I beat the first over a weekend and the second over the past few nights, a couple hours each. Only games I ever did in a day were the first Devil May Cry, and the Call of Dutys. I beat Modern Warfare 1&2 in the same day.

The second half of each Uncharted game always gets tougher I find, but always doable. Uncharted 3 should be here any day now apparently. What good timing. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

It's the normal length for a campaign these days, 8-10 hours. I can't think of a TPS or FPS that took me longer than 10 hours in the past few years, 12 hours tops. They all fall into that 8-12 hour length, dead space, resident evil, tomb raider, killzone, castlevania, enslaved... vanquish was shorter, around 6 hours, still one of the best games of this gen though. Rage is supposed to be longer than your average FPS, close to 20 hours. Around 10 hours is fine by me if it's a good campaign, specially when there's also a multiplayer mode that I'll be playing for more than 50 hours like in uncharted. Well worth the price of admission.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I'm just mystified. Maybe even a little jealous. I haven't had that kind of time to dedicate to games in YEARS.
I play for maybe an hour 3-4 times a week. If an Uncharted game has 20 chapters or so, I may finish a chapter each time I play. That ends up being over a few weeks or more. I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning to get to work. I don't have the luxury to "just keep going" like some might. No matter how good or addicting, I have to turn it off.
Anyway, I'm glad some of you are enjoying it so much. Makes it harder to wait reading how great it is, though.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2011, 03:41:59 AM »

I was just about to post about that, there are some pretty hard gunfights in the second half of the game, I'm pretty good at this game and I'm getting a run for my money with some of these fights on normal, not looking forward to playing these on crushing.

Dude, chill out. They're just introducing some of the new mechanics like melee and throwing back grenades, it's very seamless, it just holds your hand a bit before throwing you into these big gunfights which like I said above are pretty tough.

Just played the first chapter of co-op adventure with a friend of mine. So much fun.

HOLY SHIT AT CHAPTER 19!!! Just WOW! I still have 3 chapters to go but I don't expect anything to top this, it's fucking ridiculous!

You chill out, that was commentary on games in general. I'm not dogging your favoritest game ever.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »

I haven't played this yet, but I agree with Yoda about general tutorial levels. Some are justified: unusual mechanics, catering to new players etc. But when a game takes multiple dialogue boxes just to tell you how to jump by pressing A, or talk to someone by pressing X, it makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: