Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335310 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Have you "RPG'd yourself out of other genres"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Have you "RPG'd yourself out of other genres"?  (Read 3581 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »

I've tried doing that 3 times before, but I could never stick with it. I'm glad it worked for you, though. I'm just too impulsive - I play whatever I'm in the mood to play.

It was hard at first, but it eventually works out.  I have a backlog of great games to play right now, but I'm currently playing great games so I'm happy knowing that I'll finish my current great games and move on to my backlog of great games instead of starting them all at once and fucking it all up.

I'm a very organised person - sometimes people mock me for it.  For example, I have a spreadsheet of the games I own which is arranged into genre, format and whether they have been completed or not.  I even arrange my games on shelves and have the ones I haven't finished sticking out slightly so at a glance I can see what going on.  All alphabetical, naturally.

Oh boy...

I have something like that, too, on the Backloggery. Too bad they closed registration, it's a great way to keep your games organized.

Anyways, I'll give it another shot and see if I can stick to it, especially after Xmas.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »

I did follow the link in your signature a while ago, Mickeymac92.  But like you mentioned they have closed registration.  I've just customised my spreadsheet with the same ideas from Backloggery...

Neat. Oh, they might reopen the registration if the revamp(which should be done soonish) reduces the server problems they've been having, in case anyone was interested.

Anywho, I think I've done what the OP was kinda talking about durring last Summer: I started treating games that weren't RPGs like they were RPGs, making it harder for me to enjoy those Non-RPGs. For instance, I started treating Death as a major consequence in action games, when death is more or less to be expected, and dying on a level is a minor setback compared to losing hours of play in an RPG.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »

I did follow the link in your signature a while ago, Mickeymac92.  But like you mentioned they have closed registration.  I've just customised my spreadsheet with the same ideas from Backloggery...

Would you mind emailing me a copy of that? I'm a dunce w/ spreadsheets
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »

I seem to have started feeling "meh" towards mainstream games since I've started really getting into niche ones.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »

I've been doing the same thing Kup has been doing. I realized I was never finishing any RPGs because new ones kept coming out that I wanted to play, so I would set aside my current game to play the new one and eventually I had this huge back log of unfinished games. I told myself "No! You need to stop doing this!" Now I focus on one game at a time, or one console game and one handheld.

"Oh, a hunter..."
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »

Before the current generation I was very much a rpg player and not much else. Ever since I got a 360, then a PS3, I play mostly non-rpgs. Mostly because so few GOOD rpgs are released anymore. I love a good mix of action with my rpg, and games like ME give me that. I'm really no longer interested in slower-paced, super long, turn-based games.
Unfortunately, I am not very good at action-oriented games, so I have to play them on easy to enjoy them.
Also, like Kup, I focus on one game at a time. This way I actually beat them, and feel good about myself. Playing all sorts of games at once, and never finishing anything, is ridiculously unsatisfying.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

There are some games that no matter what comes along, I just never seem to stop playing. Rock Band, Torchlight, and Recettear are 3 examples from this past year.

Also I always find some time for MLB the Show, which may as well be called MLB RPG at this point with baseball being your combat engine.

I definitely do not find myself limiting play to only RPGs, but it just so happens that typically I find them the most fun to PLAY, ergo I keep coming back.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »

I used to play a variety of games, but the past few years, it's gravitated to mainly RPGs. I don't play games as much as I used to either, and since RPGs are my favorite genre, I usually play them. If I'm hanging out with friends, I'll play some Madden or get my ass stomped in a FPS.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »

Seriously, it's the best thing I've done for my gaming time.  It makes the most out of what you have.

According to my spreadsheet, I have finished 61 games this year doing this very method.  I would never have done that by going in 'free-for-all'.

I could only finish 10 this year, 3 of which weren't worth it.

61 is an impossible number.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »

Yeah, I don't know how anyone finishes 61 games in a year.  That has nothing to do with playing them in order...that's more than a game a week!

Unless Kup meant that he had a bunch of almost-finished games that he was able to move to the finished category.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 02:50:44 AM »

I'm pretty bad at games but that's more because I don't have the attention span to actually get good at them and not so much because I played RPGs exclusively when I was younger and prior to like Nocturne RPGs didn't really require you to be good at them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »

I think I play-through MAYBE +/-5 games a year. This is actually higher than when I was mostly playing 60+ hour rpgs. I could beat maybe 3 rpgs in a year. Now I play 15 hr action/adventure games and such.
hmmm, what did I play this year?
Dragon Age
Mass Effect 2
God of War 3
Metroid: Other M
Limbo
Dabbled with Infamous and Bayonetta, but only played halfway through each
played FFXIII for about 5 hrs, then stopped.
now about 10 hrs into Neir.
I am able to play games +/-10 hrs a week. 
Such is the life of a man with a wife, a kid, a job, a garden, etc. etc,. etc.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »

It's not an impossible number at all.  It would be if they were 60 hours RPGs yes, but when it's games from across all genres and formats it's easy to finish a couple of games a week.

I don't think I have ever, in my lifetime, completed more than one game in a week, regardless of genre...

I also have 5-6 hours of gaming time a night.

Holy shit...that explains it.

During the week if I get an hour of gaming in on any given night I would consider that pretty good, but certainly not normal.  I might game 5-6 hours on a Saturday or Sunday, on occasion, but certainly not every weekend.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »

It's not an impossible number at all.  It would be if they were 60 hours RPGs yes, but when it's games from across all genres and formats it's easy to finish a couple of games a week.  I also have 5-6 hours of gaming time a night.

And yes I work full-time and have a fiancée too before anyone asks.

Eh, caveats like that aren't necessary IMO. We're here to talk about games, not the best way to spend one's leisure time.

Now that my ballot is in for the Game of the Year voting I was surprised to see I played 13 RPGs that came out in 2010, and I definitely played a few more from previous years that I had missed (SMT DDS1 for example). Being a gamer has never been better IMO just simply due to the overwhelming amount of options that are out there.

As for my own gaming time my wife works later than I do so I typically have an hour or two of time at home (or out) to do whatever - I'd say just under half the time I will spend that playing a game. Weekends it also varies, if I'm really into a game I'll play for a morning or an afternoon. It's the rare game that comes along that has me playing in chunks bigger than 2 hours, that's usually a good sign that I am completely hooked. :-)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »

Eh, caveats like that aren't necessary IMO. We're here to talk about games, not the best way to spend one's leisure time.

Amen.

We're all fans of games that take on average 30-40 hours to beat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: