Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
Ashley is hotter:

I am so sorry I slept with Miranda.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
And also mostly forgotten. Lets face it, nobody plays those nowadays. I think they've been degraded to niche titles along the way.

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
Oh, Eusis, thanks for the refresher on what the Reapers do a few pages back.

It's been a while since I played and I blanked.

That guy's argument makes no sense, I wish he'd stop trolling this thread and go droll on his FF7 case

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »
That guy's argument makes no sense, I wish he'd stop trolling this thread and go droll on his FF7 case

Ok, I see you guys disagree with my point of view, but I've been at the very least respectful and tried to explain myself without making harsh comments at the comeback (even if that seems to generate more hate against myself). At the very least I don't insult you. It would be good if you did the same.

Eusis - Maybe 'nobody' was a strong word, but wouldn't you agree that those two games are only played by an ever smaller group of people? Just the graphic distortion and stability issues of modern hardware make those games harsh to appreciate for anyone that did not play them when they were at their prime.

Guess I'll stay out of the "Mass Effect 3" thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:02:06 PM by Annubis »

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »
Annubis: that's true for ANY game, though.  Do you seriously think people are going back and playing Final Fantasy VII as brand new players today?  Of course not.  Just like the re-releases on GOG, the PSN releases of the FF titles were there to feed off of nostalgia.  Final Fantasy VII is a 3D title that lacks analog support.  That's fucking BRUTAL, just in the same way that running BG2 in 800x600 is brutal.
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

I bought FFVII as a new player... Of course that was 4 years ago, but I've yet to play it far enough that I'd consider myself actually to have "played" it.
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »
Even using the angle of newer FFVII-related releases can be turned around; Dragon Age did as well as it did partially because it was touted as the spiritual successor for Baldur's Gate for quite awhile. Also part of why people flipped out over DAII's direction, it wasn't really following the BG model as much at that point.

I'd also consider something like Guardian's Crusade and Eternal Eyes as games that REALLY are forgotten; I'd like to know how many remember those and didn't have to Google them! Hell, I forgot about Eternal Eyes until looking over the list of PS1 reviews here. The only RPG of Bioware's I think actually comes close to falling into this category would probably be Jade Empire, being relatively weak coming off of KotOR (I think only one IGN review was completely crazy about the game) and overshadowed a few years later by Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Well, and the Sonic RPG too, but that's just because it's Bioware's worst RPG.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:07:53 PM by Eusis »

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »

Ok, I see you guys disagree with my point of view, but I've been at the very least respectful and tried to explain myself without making harsh comments at the comeback (even if that seems to generate more hate against myself). At the very least I don't insult you. It would be good if you did the same.

Eusis - Maybe 'nobody' was a strong word, but wouldn't you agree that those two games are only played by an ever smaller group of people? Just the graphic distortion and stability issues of modern hardware make those games harsh to appreciate for anyone that did not play them when they were at their prime.

Guess I'll stay out of the "Mass Effect 3" thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Save the holier than thou routine. Coming into a thread and saying a game is irrelevant and not providing anything to the discussion of said game is the definition of troll. Especially when dealing with RPGs these are ALL games that are going to be played for a long time in some fashion or another, so they'll always be relevant to someone, somewhere. Who cares how much crappy fan art it gets?

If everyone around here went into a particular game's thread and declared it not worthy of the test of time in their opinion this place would be rather tiresome, but most people have some class

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
Sorry for actually posting again... but people replied.

Save the holier than thou routine.

No, else I'd probably get banned because of what I'd reply to you.

Lets go back in the context:
Someone way back a couple of pages said "Why hasn't anyone played the new DLC yet?"
To which I replied "ME2 doesn't have enough lasting appeal for people to swarm the latest DLC after this long"
Then it went into a shitstorm of me trying to explain why this game doesn't have the appeal needed to survive for a year and a half of sporadic DLC.

For other questions:
- Yes this happens to most every game, but then again, most games don't have DLC coming out years later. I guess the same thing happened with the last DLC of Mass Effect 1. I know I didn't purchase Pinnacle Station because by the time it came out, I didn't care much for Mass Effect 1 anymore since it had been at least a full year since I last played it.
- True, Baldur's Gate did help Dragon Age. I guess it is possible to re-ignite the appeal of a game. Although I'm not sure if that actually made people replay Baldur's Gate (as opposed to play DA:O)

REMOVED
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:42:56 PM by Annubis »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »
ME2 was considered the best game of last year and its sequel is one of the most antecipated games of this generation, how the word "irrelevant" even appeared in this thread is beyond me.

Anyway, talking about things that matter, GI had some interesting bits of info.

"No multiplayer." If the game ends up disappointing people will have to find another scapegoat.

"The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch." This is cool, a quick way to create new saves.

"Cerberus is out to kill Shepard" Looks like the IM lost his patience with Shepard, though this might not make sense depending on what you decided at the end of ME2.

"All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them." Fine by me.

"Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once." Cool.

"Numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available." Like ME2, only this time we're talking about the conclusion of the entire saga, which makes it more relevant. I'm guessing the reapers can win if you mess up.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »
- Yes this happens to most every game, but then again, most games don't have DLC coming out years later. I guess the same thing happened with the last DLC of Mass Effect 1. I know I didn't purchase Pinnacle Station because by the time it came out, I didn't care much for Mass Effect 1 anymore since it had been at least a full year since I last played it.

And like I said before the reception for the DLC was also somewhat underwhelming; this actually applies twofold for Pinnacle Station being that it is literally just a string of combat scenarios, which might fly for ME2 but not ME1's weak system.

Now, if that's enough, don't reply.

You don't get to tell people what they can/can't do. If you really want no replies then you'll have to actually stop replying so this trail ends here, at least it's turning back to ME and not remaining off topic.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
ME2 was considered the best game of last year and its sequel is one of the most antecipated games of this generation, how the word "irrelevant" even appeared in this thread is beyond me.

"No multiplayer." If the game ends up disappointing people will have to find another scapegoat.

"The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch." This is cool, a quick way to create new saves.

"Cerberus is out to kill Shepard" Looks like the IM lost his patience with Shepard, though this might not make sense depending on what you decided at the end of ME2.

"All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them." Fine by me.

"Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once." Cool.

"Numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available." Like ME2, only this time we're talking about the conclusion of the entire saga, which makes it more relevant. I'm guessing the reapers can win if you mess up.

Guy's didnt you know the anecdotal evidence of Annubis is the authority on gaming? I mean shit, if he never saw Mass Effect 2's abundant fan art, it obviously doesn't exist. Final Fantasy 7 has far more hentai therefor it is superior to Baldur's Gate 2.

http://apps.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy7
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn

lol

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »

I wonder how they're going to do skills for people importing saves. Me1->Me2 was done in a certain way to make sense for a reset in skill levels, interesting to see how they'll handle that in 3.

Also, since you have a squad of people and if you did all the missions they should be loyal. Hopefully this lengthens the critical game path over ME2 where the big bulk of the game was party building.

I just hope the Hanar are featured. I love those things

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »
Fan art FTW:

Fuck...
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »

Damn, I can't wait to play this! Considering that my ME2 save file got corrupted, I'll have to use the comic for my decisions. Bummer.

That pic of Liara is awesome.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables