Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
By lasting appeal, I mean anything that keeps the game from falling into the abyss of time. This is by no means associated to the company and not always linked to re-playability. Let me use a small example to demonstrate this:

How much fanart of ME2 is there per week? 10?
How much fanart of FF7 is there per week? 1000+
How much fanart of Touhou is there per week? 10,000+

Who do you think will survive the passage of time? Oh wait, the competition is at least 10 years older and still more alive.

I also doubt the people that got the game at release are still playing. I played it twice and I don't think I'll want to give it another run for a long long time.

Words cannot describe how I feel about your stupidity.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
By lasting appeal, I mean anything that keeps the game from falling into the abyss of time. This is by no means associated to the company and not always linked to re-playability. Let me use a small example to demonstrate this:

How much fanart of ME2 is there per week? 10?
How much fanart of FF7 is there per week? 1000+
How much fanart of Touhou is there per week? 10,000+

Who do you think will survive the passage of time? Oh wait, the competition is at least 10 years older and still more alive.

I also doubt the people that got the game at release are still playing. I played it twice and I don't think I'll want to give it another run for a long long time.
You're comparing lasting appeal with how much fanart there is?

I'd call you retarded, but I think that'd be sullying the good name of retards everywhere.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
Since that post was brought back up: I think it says more about the nature of the properties than whether or not they have lasting value. I doubt there's much fanart for, say, Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment at all, and they're still regarded as pinnacles of RPGs.

There's two problems with this angle anyway; it's going off of the assumption that not playing now = no lasting value, and that this is the reason there's little response to release of DLC. Quite a few people may not want to get most DLC, right away at least, or heard that this was a fairly limp release and decided to just ignore it. I'll wait on a sale; I really wish more DLC came out at $5 rather than the seeming Microsoft mandated minimum of $7.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
Ironically Mass Effect 2 does have a shitton of fanart.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »

This is another point: just HOW did he come to those conclusions? Is he tracking fanart as it pops up, does he see a certain type more, or is it pure bullshit? Not that I really doubt that there's more FFVII art and possibly Touhou art, but like I said that says more about the nature of the two properties than whether or not they're popular; do you see a lot of fanart for either Citizen Kane or Godfather?

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2011, 12:39:50 AM »

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »
we even got the bad kind

Serene Prophet

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
What the hell are you talking about bad, that shit is hot!  Scuse me I gotta clean my pants.  What?
-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:55 AM »
Love... transcends skin...scales.. whatever.... it's so lovely~!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2011, 01:36:31 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that guy was ridiculous

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2011, 04:09:22 AM »
I didn't even reply to that post because I honestly didn't know what to say.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »
Someone posted the details revealed in game informer on gaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426690

Lots of interesting nuggets. It has spoiler for the beginning of ME3 and also for Arrival.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2011, 04:41:47 AM »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »
Ashley is hotter:

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »
I doubt there's much fanart for, say, Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment at all, and they're still regarded as pinnacles of RPGs.

And also mostly forgotten. Lets face it, nobody plays those nowadays. I think they've been degraded to niche titles along the way.

I'm not saying fanart is the only factor for lasting appeal, but it's a descent example. Unless something keeps a game in people's mind, it'll be forgotten. Even if the game is great, people will just stop playing it because they've forgotten about it.
Super Maria Galaxy is a good game, yet no one plays it anymore. Did it get worst along time? Not really. It's just that people had time to forget about it and thus stopped playing it. (that and they made a sequel, so everyone plays the sequel instead)
There are tons of ways to keep things alive, like a powerful fanbase, DLC or expansions (or just look at WoW). Seeing how the last real thing that made people remember Mass Effect 2 was in September (Lair of the Shadow Broker), 8 months ago, the game kinda fell off the track a bit.
If I was watching a TV serie that released 1 episode every 6 months, I'd probably drop it and not care about the latest episode after a while. Especially if no one around me is even talking about that serie. Same reason why I'm not even sure I want to purchase the new DLC.
Looking at the latest Star Wars movies though, even if they were years apart (you literally could die before seeing the new trilogy), whenever one came out the whole fanbase rushed the movie theatres, word spread from there, and in the end tons of people saw it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:20:26 AM by Annubis »