Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 11:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338565 Posts in 13857 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)  (Read 91588 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #690 on: March 13, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »

Played about 25 hours so far, and while I'm not near done yet, my general feelings amount to this:

Code:
1. Far too many fetch quests. While both M1 and 2 had their share of these, it feels like the ratio of fetch-to-main quests is much, much higher, and also harder to complete (or simply harder to find). I realize Bioware was going for a less direct approach to make the quests seem more like overheard needs (to what effect, I'm unsure), but having characters you could actually target to socialize with was far more useful.

2. The modelling, both for many main characters and for most supporting roles, sucks. ME1 and 2 made pretty much everyone look unique if they weren't NPCs. But with ME3 you have characters like Traynor who seems so... generic, and then far too many NPCs like Brynn who look really close to FemShep combinations. Especially bad have been characters returning like Kelly and Jacob, who looks absolutely awful next to their ME2 counterparts. Jacob actually looks old and feeble, while Kelly looks like she got punched in the face.

3. Technical problems galore. I've had Shep's arms glitch out while she's using her headset to communicate in some scenes, and Mordin's "tower scene" had his head glitch out. Really ruined the effect in both cases. During Jacob's sidequest, Tali's model didn't load, etc etc etc.

4. Related to point 1, the non-targeted interactions really ruin some moments. I feel like Bioware was being especially lazy here, because a lot of small quests in 1 and 2 offered some emotional drama even from really minor characters. Now? It's all just dialogue and flapping mouths. So when you relay news that so-and-so's partner died on some planet somewhere, sure you hear a choked up voice, but you don't *see* anything. It really kills the mood. By far the worst offender is finding Liara's father and getting them to talk.

5. It IS still a good game. But it's the weakest in the trilogy. I'm enjoying the main plot, but there aren't any storytelling improvements over ME2. It feels like they downgraded from ME2 in many ways. ME1 had better storytelling and characterization, while ME2 had better modelling and gameplay. While ME3 has some great moments (meeting Jack again, the Krogan genophage sidestory conclusion, Thane's conclusion), it's also lacking in so many other ways.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #691 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:16 PM »

I know people have beaten it in as little as 25, it took me 40. I put most hours in on days off. 50 sounds like a lot to me, but I did miss some sidequests.

Yeah, I think most people cleared the past weekend to play it. That's what I'm doing with this upcoming weekend, since its the start of my spring break, and I only work part-time.
Man, I wish I was able to "clear a weekend" just to play a game. You mean people actually do this? Even if I had the time, I still couldn't play for more than AT MOST 3 hours or so. I would just feel so guilty about it. I suppose that's what comes with a house, a wife, a kid, etc. etc. Guilt about not doing something "productive". Plus, there's no way I can hide indoors with this nice weather.
Forgive me the usual rant about crazy gamers and play times. I know it doesn't come just from a place of confusion, but also a smidge of jealousy. Just a smidge, though.
I'll be quiet about this now. Hopefully, I'll be hopping on the ME3 train this weekend. Stupid Zelda won't end.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »

Grim, that's why I don't plan on settling down for another 10 or so years, I still got lots of stuff to do for myself.

Though, I'm sure there are many who are jealous that you have such an excellent home life. :P

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 13, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »

I know people have beaten it in as little as 25, it took me 40. I put most hours in on days off. 50 sounds like a lot to me, but I did miss some sidequests.

Yeah, I think most people cleared the past weekend to play it. That's what I'm doing with this upcoming weekend, since its the start of my spring break, and I only work part-time.
Man, I wish I was able to "clear a weekend" just to play a game. You mean people actually do this? Even if I had the time, I still couldn't play for more than AT MOST 3 hours or so. I would just feel so guilty about it. I suppose that's what comes with a house, a wife, a kid, etc. etc. Guilt about not doing something "productive". Plus, there's no way I can hide indoors with this nice weather.
Forgive me the usual rant about crazy gamers and play times. I know it doesn't come just from a place of confusion, but also a smidge of jealousy. Just a smidge, though.
I'll be quiet about this now. Hopefully, I'll be hopping on the ME3 train this weekend. Stupid Zelda won't end.

I've got a house, wife, your standard 40 hour a week job, etc. I imagine the kid makes a huge difference though. My wife and I don't have kids and don't plan to.

Actually last weekend was the first one in about a month and a half where we had no weekend plans, so I was able to wrap up a first playthrough of Amalur and get started on Mass Effect 3. I probably won't be able to even touch it again now though until next week - dodgeball playoffs start tonight, going to a wedding in Miami this weekend, etc. Next weekend we'll be in NYC for a weekend trip to the opera and also hopefully visiting my sister. But I still hope to find time to play some games in there after work and, dare I say, get some work in for the website, AND take care of other obligations - but it can admittedly be tough to fit all that stuff in.

But it seems very disingenuous to me to make this argument. Those things - the house, the kid, the wife, the "etc" - those are all choices that were consciously made. Some folks consciously choose to clear time for games and have made sure they have the freedom and ability to do that. You and I might have a little less free time than some on the boards and we made choices that put us in that position.

It's rare that my wife and I have a whole weekend where we don't have any obligations and I'm sure you sympathize with that, but when we do I sometimes like to spend mine playing a video game. Spending the occasional Saturday or Sunday enjoying a nice long video game session in between obligations is a good way to unwind.

And if you were going to clear a video game weekend before the nice weather began in earnest, this last weekend was definitely the one to do it. Things are really getting nice now and baseball season is right around the corner! :-)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 13, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »

Grim, that's why I don't plan on settling down for another 10 or so years, I still got lots of stuff to do for myself.

Though, I'm sure there are many who are jealous that you have such an excellent home life. :P

I would suggest that you should NEVER stop having things you need to and want to do for yourself, ESPECIALLY when/if you are in a relationship. :-)

EDIT: Waiting for forum mod to bop me good for getting off track here... I was just excited to see actual words instead of big black boxes full of spoiler stuff. ;-)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #695 on: March 13, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »

I'll be quiet about this now.

I hope so. This isn't the first time you've lorded over people here proclaiming how nice it must be to have such free time, yourself being such a responsible and caring adult.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 13, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

I hope so. This isn't the first time you've lorded over people here proclaiming how nice it must be to have such free time, yourself being such a responsible and caring adult.

I didn't mean it that way - I was simply suggesting that having free time AND being a responsible adult don't have to be mutually exclusive things.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #697 on: March 13, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

I'm not "lording over" anybody. I am honestly baffled by the practice of playing a 40+ hour game to completion so quickly. I freely admit that it also comes from a place of jealousy. You're right, though. I suppose the underlying feeling is that I am better than you because I am being productive while you lazy losers are playing games for 12 hours on end. Is that what you want me to say? You got me!
Dyeager:
Truth be told, most of my weekends are free. We are quite the introverted family. We don't really do much of anything. My wife works crazy hours and is an exercise nut who runs a lot, so I am "stuck" being the one to take care of our son most of the time. I love him to death, but it can get overwhelming. Any free time I DO get I tend to spend outdoors in my garden. After 2 hours out there I feel good and productive. My games sadly don't have the same effect.

I'm really sorry for causing this tangent! I knew better, but did it anyway. I get myself in trouble a lot that way.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:07:57 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »

I'm not "lording over" anybody. I am honestly baffled by the practice of playing a 40+ hour game to completion so quickly. I freely admit that it also comes from a place of jealousy. You're right, though. I suppose the underlying feeling is that I am better than you because I am being productive while you lazy losers are playing games for 12 hours on end. Is that what you want me to say? You got me!
Dyeager:
Truth be told, most of my weekends are free. We are quite the introverted family. We don't really do much of anything. My wife works crazy hours and is an exercise nut who runs a lot, so I am "stuck" being the one to take care of our son most of the time. I love him to death, but it can get overwhelming. Any free time I DO get I tend to spend outdoors in my garden. After 2 hours out there I feel good and productive. My games sadly don't have the same effect.

I'm really sorry for causing this tangent! I knew better, but did it anyway. I get myself in trouble a lot that way.

No worries from my end Grim - I certainly didn't help the tangent by adding my own two cents!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #699 on: March 13, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »

Fuck all of this family life interfering with me time, I'd give my left thumb for a comfortable home, wife , and 2 kids instead of the shitfest of a life I fell into. Semi crippled father, 2 useless sisters who left home to beg for money from bank of daddy, and me stuck having to care for the old man and work for him (semi crippled, he thinks just fine still, I do the physical work). Thr only upsside to my life is I can play video games.

That being said, games like mass effect make life enjoyable for me, even the drama side.

TASTY!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #700 on: March 13, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »

I love the game. Finished it yesterday. Everything about it, except

ending spoilers
Code:
everything about the last 5 minutes. dat plot-holes.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

So yeah, the ending.

Code:
It would have been much, much better had they cut it off shortly after Anderson died and showed Shepard
looking down over Earth with him. That had the perfect mood set, a nice mixture of bittersweet with some hope.
It felt "finale-like." Maybe they could have shown the Crucible at work if they really wanted to push it.

But as is? I think "lack of denouement" is the perfect description of what happened.   I could probably rant on it
for a while, but I'll stick with that.  On an amusing note, that "child" in the post-credits scene was a shrunken adult. I was laughing hard.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/resizedadult.jpg/

Also, methinks Liara's pregnant.  That "special gift" mind meld she gives you in London - whether or not you romanced her,
male or female - definitely makes me think she's going to have Shepard's babies.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: March 13, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

After talking about it with Liz today, I've decided that the only way I can enjoy that ending is

Code:
if the last ten minutes of the game are a hallucination caused by Reaper indoctrination.  While Shepard might have THOUGHT s/he was making some strange choice by shooting that red device, but in actuality s/he blew up a necessary power generator that shut down the Catalyst/Crucible link and let the Reapers run roughshod over the galaxy unimpeded.

I'm not saying that's what happened or anything, but a boy can dream. :P

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »

I basically consider everything that happens once you reach the sol system the ending. If you think like that, it's actually a fairly good ending. Course...i'm grasping for straws here, but yeah, that last segment was awesome. Fuck you haters (the actual ending sucked I know).

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: March 13, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »

The final reveal was fine, the execution was just a bit iffy.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: