Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338013 Posts in 13840 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)  (Read 91148 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

I thought it was more than just new endings. Don't they start you back a few areas? Aren't there new interactions/scenes throughout? Wouldn't you have to play through that part again to the full effect? I would think so. Watching videos on youtube just isn't the same.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: June 29, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »

The new scenes start when you're
running towards the beam to the Citadel.
As far I can tell everything before that is unchanged, even though you have to begin all the way back at the
Cerberus Base.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: June 30, 2012, 04:09:21 AM »

But how do you know which ending you get based on your choice? I went right and shot the box. What ending did I technically get?
Code:
I just saw everything get wiped out, with a shot of the busted Normandy and the door starting to open. I figured everybody died except for a chosen(not really) few meant to start it all over again.
Your EMS was really low.

The Crucible misfired and sterilized the galaxy. Maybe not the whole thing, but enough that whoever's left over is screwed six ways from Sunday.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: July 03, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »

Late to the party as ever I picked up the original Mass Effect on Steam yesterday. Having a blast but I'm hating the difficulty curve and the shooter mechanics. XP Bad enough the plot line enemies could 3-4 shot me but now I'm having to deal with pirates who can do the same in 2-3 and waltz right past the wall I'm taking cover behind while being able to take shotgun blows at point blank range. This ain't right. ~.~
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 03, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »

The original ME I thought had the tightest actual plotline compared to ME2/3, but yeah the mechanics are very different. Basically every time you shoot at something, dice roll in the background to see if you hit, whereas 2 and 3 have more classic FPS mechanics.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

I agree with Dave - plotline in ME1 was my favourite.

As for the shooting mechanics, yeah, it felt awkward especially since I played ME1 AFTER 2 (and a lot of cover based shooters). It got better halfway through ME1 after I upgraded/customized my weapons a bit.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1041 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »

ME1 has the best overall plot, but the character interactions just kept getting better. Saren was an incredibly engaging villain who managed to also be sympathetic.

Code:
Kai Leng was a horribly written and stupidly cliched attempt at creating Mass Effect 3's Saren. He did nothing, and frequently failed at it. And his hatred for Shepard? The only explanation they could give is 'the writers needed him to hate Shepard, so uh, he does because of fuck you that's why. I really thought he was the worst part of the plot, original ending aside. Even that error-ridden book couldn't make him a less awful character.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »

Oh God Kai Leng. Fuck Kai Leng. He was pointless.

And if you ever hear 'he's better in the books!" ... no he isn't. Well, maybe marginally, but he was never a great character and nowhere near Saren.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1043 on: July 03, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »

Code:
Yeah, he wasn't better in the books. He's flat and uninteresting there, too. His entire function was to serve as a Saren-surrogate, and that was a well-intentioned but misguided goal.

Fact is, TIM and the Reapers were plenty villain enough. They were trying to create a 'personal' conflict like Shep had with Saren, but it fell flat. Saren was an awesome villain because he was sympathetic and also awesomely villainous-- and if you read the books, you realized that he was xenophobic and racist with regards to humanity but not EVIL, and his indoctrination just exacerbated that existing issue. Plus, his voice actor was off the fucking hook.

Kai Leng just consistently did stupid shit for no reason, and could barely beat a critically ill drell (admittedly, that drell was THANEOMGBADASS), but still. Seriously?

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: July 03, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »

Code:
I don't know if kai leng was supposed to be a Saren surrogate. The Illusive Man fit that role much better.

Saren and TIM both:

Believed they were in control when someone else was controlling them.

Underwent reaper tech infusion of their own will.

Wanted Shepard to come over to their side: Saren, "Don't you see, my way is the only way any of us will survive." TIM, "I wish you could see it like I do, Shepard. It's so ... perfect."

Both can be convinced by Shepard's powerful will that what they're doing is wrong and misguided, proving that they were not evil, simply lost their way somewhere in the execution of their good intentions.

Kai Leng was not a leader. He was a follower. He was supposed to represent the triumph of Shepard and Anderson's bond against the loyalty to a misguided cause. The problem is he was introduced in the fucking books and didn't get any characterization.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »

Kai Leng felt to me like a goofy jrpg villain knock-off.
I actually didn't like Saren very much, eithe.r I found him to be a boring villain. At least until the end when we find out he wasn't the true villain after all. Then I kind of just felt bad for him.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: July 03, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »

Is there any point in my getting 4000+ military readiness for the new endings or do all I get is one little image at the end again?

I am pretty much trying to do everything but it is almost effing impossible to get 4000 if you don't play online since your score is cut to 50%.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: July 03, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »

Is there any point in my getting 4000+ military readiness for the new endings or do all I get is one little image at the end again?

I am pretty much trying to do everything but it is almost effing impossible to get 4000 if you don't play online since your score is cut to 50%.

According to the ME wikia (contains spoilers), the EMS needed for the "special" ending in the Extended Cut was lowered to 3100 EMS. So if you've played a more or less Paragon Shepard, you'll easily pass it. Remember that the values are cut in half, so if you have 7000, it'll be in fact 3500.

About Cereal Killer Kai Leng:

He is the only villain who sends you hate mail. I mean, really?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »

About Cereal Killer Kai Leng:

He is the only villain who sends you hate mail. I mean, really?

Also the only one petty enough to steal your cereal, obviously.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: July 07, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »

Oh cool, that's nice. I thought it was strange that it was nigh impossible to get 4000 without multiplayer. I have 3700 or so. :)

Ha ha, I thought it was strange to see Kai Leng trolling you. Before he was more professional and then he's doing that to make it personal? Why?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: